Why become a member? ×

Stagg!!!!

mikeh

My biggest suggestion for flying would be carry it on the plane instead of checking it if at all possible. Sometimes the flight attendants will let you put large items in the front closet. If you can't, box it up and make sure the neck is well supported. The Stagg EUB's are prone to cracks in the body right at the neck pocket. If you're handy with a screw driver and know how to do full adjustments, I'd take the neck off and put it back together when you get there. Much easier to handle.

[quote name='mcarlucci' post='279448' date='Sep 8 2008, 02:34 AM'][b]Thanks for all the input. I was able to adjust the action nicely with very little effort.
I have a new question concerning stands... Is there a stand out there similar to the NS design, which may be used for the Stagg? Something (like the NS stand) that would not just be a device for resting the bass, but would function as an actual brace/holder, allowing for complete accessibility? I want, on stage during performances, to be able to switch back and forth from my bass guitar to the DB "on the fly," as it were. Or, could there be a conversion apparatus idea out there somewhere?[/b][/quote]

I've made one using the bottom of cymbal stand and the top of a guitar stand. The waist of the Stagg is about the same width as the neck support of the guitar stand. The combination of the weight of the cymbal stand and the neck support gripping the bass works really well.

Tim

[quote name='BigBadBassman' post='307846' date='Oct 16 2008, 01:18 PM']I've made one using the bottom of cymbal stand and the top of a guitar stand. The waist of the Stagg is about the same width as the neck support of the guitar stand. The combination of the weight of the cymbal stand and the neck support gripping the bass works really well.

Tim[/quote]

Picture?

Not sure if anyone is still after a Stagg EDB but Zings have two in stock at the moment. I telephoned this afternoon and then emailed them to check their stock room. They have one metallic black and one honey both available to send out tomorrow. Not sure I can manage to get one as I am already over the allowed number of basses. Still selling for £279 I believe.

Graham

Well just in case anyone is in two minds about buying/trying a Stagg EUB, I would class myself as an 'intermediate' player who picked up the bass at a late stage. I then couldn't resist getting a Stagg EUB and love every minute of it so far. It's opened my ears to a whole new world.
Do it, you won't regret it!
FP

[quote name='Floyd Pepper' post='313452' date='Oct 23 2008, 11:41 PM']Well just in case anyone is in two minds about buying/trying a Stagg EUB, I would class myself as an 'intermediate' player who picked up the bass at a late stage. I then couldn't resist getting a Stagg EUB and love every minute of it so far. It's opened my ears to a whole new world.
Do it, you won't regret it!
FP[/quote]

+1 on that. For the price I dont think you can do better.Its added a whole new dimension to my playing and enjoyment. And it does look cool :)

[quote name='Rusty Shackleford' post='314910' date='Oct 26 2008, 09:20 AM']has anywhere got staggs in stock at the moment? gonna buy one today (don't tell the wife) but cant find one in violinburstishbrownie colour anywhere.[/quote]

Hi Rusty

Just joined BASSCHAT but have been reading everything!!

I bought a Stagg EDB last Christmas from GAK http://[url="http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com"]www.guitarampkeyboard.com[/url]/, it's nut cracked and when I took it to a local music shop for repair he pointed out that the fingerboard was warped as well. It was repaired, I have been teaching myself only playing with headphones, I had just bought a chromatic tuner plugged it in with the jack and the jack socket broke.......

Anyway I sent it back under guarantee to GAK, their agent couldn't repair it but replaced it with a blue one. (It came this morning Monday)

To answer your question Alex Hill at GAK told me the suppliers had a red and blue I chose the blue, so I reckon if you phone Alex at GAK his supplier should still have the red Stagg EDB in stock.

Alex at GAK was really excellent in dealing with my issues and kept phoning me up and letting me know what was going on, rather than going on the website you need to phone up and go through to internet and online sales and ask for Alex and explain you want the Stagg EDB and I'm sure he'll sort you out.

cheers

Kembo

[quote name='kembo_dee' post='316068' date='Oct 27 2008, 06:53 PM']Hi Rusty

Just joined BASSCHAT but have been reading everything!!

I bought a Stagg EDB last Christmas from GAK http://[url="http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com"]www.guitarampkeyboard.com[/url]/, it's nut cracked and when I took it to a local music shop for repair he pointed out that the fingerboard was warped as well. It was repaired, I have been teaching myself only playing with headphones, I had just bought a chromatic tuner plugged it in with the jack and the jack socket broke.......

Anyway I sent it back under guarantee to GAK, their agent couldn't repair it but replaced it with a blue one. (It came this morning Monday)

To answer your question Alex Hill at GAK told me the suppliers had a red and blue I chose the blue, so I reckon if you phone Alex at GAK his supplier should still have the red Stagg EDB in stock.

Alex at GAK was really excellent in dealing with my issues and kept phoning me up and letting me know what was going on, rather than going on the website you need to phone up and go through to internet and online sales and ask for Alex and explain you want the Stagg EDB and I'm sure he'll sort you out.

cheers

Kembo[/quote]

welcome to basschat Kembo. really want one in violin burst maybe dark brown at a push. ive spent the day ringing everywhere and blue red or black is my only option. so looks like im gonna have to wait for another month or so. and the price will prob go up!

Add me to the growing list of Stagg EUB owners.

They've got some for sale on the Stagg stand at Music Live this weekend at £299 in Red only....

A few questions:

1. How do you fit the smaller of the two bits of bent metal? It doesn't seem to be the right shape for the angle of the holes.

2. What's the optimum height to set it at?

3. Where does the larger piece of bent metal go in relation to your body?

4. Finally anyone know of a good tutor in Nottingham?

I also noticed them at Music Live and also a new stand! The Stagg guy told me that they have them in stock for £35.00 which seems a decent price for a fairly substantial stand. I played around with it as well and personally, after a little work, I reckon I could play it in the stand, which beats using the extensions!

[quote name='BigRedX' post='324431' date='Nov 7 2008, 07:28 PM']Add me to the growing list of Stagg EUB owners.

They've got some for sale on the Stagg stand at Music Live this weekend at £299 in Red only....

A few questions:

1. How do you fit the smaller of the two bits of bent metal? It doesn't seem to be the right shape for the angle of the holes.

2. What's the optimum height to set it at?

3. Where does the larger piece of bent metal go in relation to your body?

4. Finally anyone know of a good tutor in Nottingham?[/quote]

Welcome to the club ... :)

The left side prong you can forget about ,, It's for acoustic players when they use the "thumb" position up the top -
The right hand one goes in with a big shove but initially the nylon in the holes is too tight so, to prepare, put one in, give it a good wiggle to squash and loosen things up, then whip it out and shove it in the other hole, wiggle and loosen that then the two will go in together.

once you've managed that raise the prong untiil the nut is a eye level .. or down a bit.

the right side prong will now lean against you, just ahead of your hip.. Once it's there the rotation is controlled and you can move your left arm about bit to play.
Good luck :huh:

oh and hook the lead over something eg the strap peg or you'll be standing on it and pull it out,,

[quote name='Floyd Pepper' post='324619' date='Nov 8 2008, 12:23 AM']I also noticed them at Music Live and also a new stand! The Stagg guy told me that they have them in stock for £35.00 which seems a decent price for a fairly substantial stand. I played around with it as well and personally, after a little work, I reckon I could play it in the stand, which beats using the extensions![/quote]

Is that apurpose built stand for the Stagg?

I just played my first gig with my stagg EUB. I'll have to say that I'm very impressed. There are still some nut slot issues to be taken care of once I get the correct files but all in all I'm very happy with my purchase. The recordings from the concert proved to me that it really does emulate a the sound real upright fairly well. Once again, I'd suggest anyone that is looking into one to take the plunge. You won't be disappointed.

[quote name='GSjaarda' post='328762' date='Nov 14 2008, 12:00 AM']I just played my first gig with my stagg EUB. I'll have to say that I'm very impressed. There are still some nut slot issues to be taken care of once I get the correct files but all in all I'm very happy with my purchase. The recordings from the concert proved to me that it really does emulate a the sound real upright fairly well. Once again, I'd suggest anyone that is looking into one to take the plunge. You won't be disappointed.[/quote]

Excellent news .. the recording of my first go out proved that I needed to hear myself better on stage and also work on my intonation :)
I've sorted the former by using a bass monitor on a stick all to myself about 6 inches from my ear. I fact I'm just back from a gig with that band with teh amping set up like that as a trial (on bass guitar) I'll take the Stagg next time. :huh:

Careful with the case! Coming back from a rehearsal on Sunday evening, the shoulder strap broke. I thought I had caught the bass in time but obviously not as, when I opened it up on Monday, I discovered I had split the headstock! Glued, set, clamped and reinforced with a couple of wooden dowels, it seems to be holding up and I will be using it at a gig tonight.

However, I would rather not have had the opportunity to practise my luthiery skills!

Wulf