Why become a member? ×

Stagg!!!!

mikeh

[quote name='OldGit' post='344951' date='Dec 4 2008, 12:49 AM']I hang my lead off it so I don't stand on it and yank it out :)[/quote]

Right. I guess it would serve to hang a flask of tea from, and maybe a plastic Tupperware box full of sandwiches, if I can find a suitable interfacing device.

[quote name='MarcoBoi' post='346651' date='Dec 5 2008, 05:11 PM']Right. I guess it would serve to hang a flask of tea from, and maybe a plastic Tupperware box full of sandwiches, if I can find a suitable interfacing device.[/quote]

Splendid idea!
:)

I can't quite see how it would work for a strap unless you have the arm dimentions of an orangutan ..

• 3 weeks later...

I had a Stagg EDB in Violin Burst for Christmas. Gobsmacked doesn't come close. It is fantastic, though I do have a question regarding tuning. It arrrived pretty much in tune, with just a small tweak here and there, but I was surprised it didn't sound lower and deeper. It's the same notes as my bass guitar. I thought, with it being a much longer scale length and all that, it would be tuned an octave lower? If so, my guitar tuner can't handle it. Any thoughts?

I've seen the Stagg SV-EDB stand mentioned a few times in this thread, but can't find one online for less that £38 (+£7 p&p) from Piano Covers Online. Has anyone seen it cheaper?

Edited by Andyalfa

[quote name='Andyalfa' post='364697' date='Dec 28 2008, 11:14 AM']I had a Stagg EDB in Violin Burst for Christmas. Gobsmacked doesn't come close. It is fantastic, though I do have a question regarding tuning. It arrrived pretty much in tune, with just a small tweak here and there, but I was surprised it didn't sound lower and deeper. It's the same notes as my bass guitar. I thought, with it being a much longer scale length and all that, it would be tuned an octave lower? If so, my guitar tuner can't handle it. Any thoughts?[/quote]

Tune with harmonics. 12th "fret" or 5th "fret"
Should be Ok

[quote name='Andyalfa' post='364711' date='Dec 28 2008, 11:26 AM']Should it be an octave lower than my bass guitar though? Sorry to sound ignorant, but this is my first foray into the upright world.[/quote]

No, it's the same pitch as your bass guitar.

Thanks. Seems it's about right then.

I have to say though, it may be novelty value, but I think it sounds soooo much nicer than my bass guitar. I am a total convert. The only reason I'm not playing it now is because my right index finger is sore as hell. I believe that is normal though. :huh:

My left hand seems to be bearing up well though, just a little tired. Can't wait for the first band practise so I can take it along. :)

I have a small problem with my newly acquired Stagg. I’m getting a rather worrying clunking/rattling noise when I’m playing “enthusiastically”, or digging in, as I believe it’s called. It sounds like the top of the spike inside the body of the bass is rattling around as it moves while I’m playing it. Being quite tall, I have the spike almost fully extended. It’s not so bad when I lower the spike and play sitting down. Anyone else had this problem? If so, what did you do to cure it?

[quote name='Andyalfa' post='370745' date='Jan 5 2009, 11:22 AM']I have a small problem with my newly acquired Stagg. I’m getting a rather worrying clunking/rattling noise when I’m playing “enthusiastically”, or digging in, as I believe it’s called. It sounds like the top of the spike inside the body of the bass is rattling around as it moves while I’m playing it. Being quite tall, I have the spike almost fully extended. It’s not so bad when I lower the spike and play sitting down. Anyone else had this problem? If so, what did you do to cure it?[/quote]

Ive got a similar problem. I cant work out how to get the spike out to try and reinforce the housing. Its unfortunate cos Im trying to get a bit of slap going and the rattling is getting amplified. I suppose less enthusiasm is the solution :)

[quote name='Andyalfa' post='370745' date='Jan 5 2009, 11:22 AM']I have a small problem with my newly acquired Stagg. I’m getting a rather worrying clunking/rattling noise when I’m playing “enthusiastically”, or digging in, as I believe it’s called. It sounds like the top of the spike inside the body of the bass is rattling around as it moves while I’m playing it. Being quite tall, I have the spike almost fully extended. It’s not so bad when I lower the spike and play sitting down. Anyone else had this problem? If so, what did you do to cure it?[/quote]
I have this problem too. I'm going to try stuffing some closed cell foam in the cavity that the spike goes in to by taking the panel off the back and see if that helps.

[quote name='rayfw' post='370782' date='Jan 5 2009, 12:00 PM']I have this problem too. I'm going to try stuffing some closed cell foam in the cavity that the spike goes in to by taking the panel off the back and see if that helps.[/quote]
Back to the drawing board. The end pin doesn't go into the cavity very far when extended so filling with foam will make no difference.
:)

Good news, it works!

I found some fine bubble wrap, then wrapped it round the end few inches of the pin inside the cavity, and stuck it down with sellotape. Don't use too much, or it stops the pin sliding back inside the body. After I applied it, I extended the pin to my normal length, started playing and noticed an instant difference.

I'm well chuffed. 20 mins, a small piece of bubble wrap and some sellotape and the problem is solved. :)

Yes, that seems to be the case. It still moves about a bit, but the noise of metal vibrating on hollow wood has gone. I reckon making it slightly thicker would make for a tighter fit and stop it wobbling too, though that's not too much of a problem.

Anyway, fellow Stagg owning basschatters, I need your help. How high, exactly, should the Stagg be in relation to my body? Should the nut be ear high, shoulder high or what? I have a problem with the whole thing moving around when I'm playing, making it particularly difficult to reach the G string.

Every time I reach round, the bass rotates. I thought that one of the arms was supposed to brace against my body, but which bit? I read somewhere it's meant to be the hip, but that means having the bass quite low, which makes the left arm angle awkward and I have to lean right over to pluck.

I've been watching lots of players on TV and they don't seem to have the problem. Maybe it's my body shape which gets in the way after the excesses of the festive season?

[quote name='Andyalfa' post='374782' date='Jan 9 2009, 09:06 AM']Yes, that seems to be the case. It still moves about a bit, but the noise of metal vibrating on hollow wood has gone. I reckon making it slightly thicker would make for a tighter fit and stop it wobbling too, though that's not too much of a problem.

Anyway, fellow Stagg owning basschatters, I need your help. How high, exactly, should the Stagg be in relation to my body? Should the nut be ear high, shoulder high or what? I have a problem with the whole thing moving around when I'm playing, making it particularly difficult to reach the G string.

Every time I reach round, the bass rotates. I thought that one of the arms was supposed to brace against my body, but which bit? I read somewhere it's meant to be the hip, but that means having the bass quite low, which makes the left arm angle awkward and I have to lean right over to pluck.

I've been watching lots of players on TV and they don't seem to have the problem. Maybe it's my body shape which gets in the way after the excesses of the festive season?[/quote]

I play with the nut at eye height and the brace thing just forward of my left hip.
Seems to work

Bit cheeky to hijack thread but - in case any DB/EUBers missed it - I have an as-new Stagg EDB for sale on this forum.

Here's the link [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=36777"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=36777[/url]

Cheers Clarky