Why become a member? ×

Stagg!!!!

mikeh

[quote name='GSjaarda' post='328762' date='Nov 14 2008, 12:00 AM']I just played my first gig with my stagg EUB. I'll have to say that I'm very impressed. There are still some nut slot issues to be taken care of once I get the correct files but all in all I'm very happy with my purchase. The recordings from the concert proved to me that it really does emulate a the sound real upright fairly well. Once again, I'd suggest anyone that is looking into one to take the plunge. You won't be disappointed.[/quote]

Congrats mate. I gig the Stagg a lot now and apart from the standard "Whats that big red thing" comments, the main conversations always centre on how it really does do a great approximation of an acoustic DB. Second your recommendation. As Ive said before probably the best bang for your buck that Ive purchased. Stagg On

[quote name='wulf' post='328849' date='Nov 14 2008, 08:27 AM']Careful with the case! Coming back from a rehearsal on Sunday evening, the shoulder strap broke. I thought I had caught the bass in time but obviously not as, when I opened it up on Monday, I discovered I had split the headstock! Glued, set, clamped and reinforced with a couple of wooden dowels, it seems to be holding up and I will be using it at a gig tonight.

However, I would rather not have had the opportunity to practise my luthiery skills!

Wulf[/quote]

Hummm Cheers Wulf. I'll check mine .. What actually broke?

[quote name='Linus27' post='328994' date='Nov 14 2008, 11:51 AM']Maxcat,

Where are you playing? I would love to come and here the Stagg in a live environment.[/quote]

Hi Linus . Long time no speak. I should get the band up on the gig thread if I ever get round to it. Next gig is the Prince of Wales Hammer Vale, Haslemere on the 29th Nov then Crown Inn Knaphill 19 Dec. You can My space "Six Miles Away" to see if our other bookings suit better. Would be great to meet up at one of them.

Cheers

Don

[quote name='wulf' post='328849' date='Nov 14 2008, 08:27 AM']Careful with the case! Coming back from a rehearsal on Sunday evening, the shoulder strap broke. I thought I had caught the bass in time but obviously not as, when I opened it up on Monday, I discovered I had split the headstock! Glued, set, clamped and reinforced with a couple of wooden dowels, it seems to be holding up and I will be using it at a gig tonight.

However, I would rather not have had the opportunity to practise my luthiery skills!

Wulf[/quote]

OOOPS. Was it the hardware that broke or the strap itself. Ive got to be honest, i carry it like a fishing rod using the two carry handles, but I have been tempted to sling it over my back. Not any more mind you

[quote name='Maxcat' post='329519' date='Nov 15 2008, 01:22 AM']Hi Linus . Long time no speak. I should get the band up on the gig thread if I ever get round to it. Next gig is the Prince of Wales Hammer Vale, Haslemere on the 29th Nov then Crown Inn Knaphill 19 Dec. You can My space "Six Miles Away" to see if our other bookings suit better. Would be great to meet up at one of them.

Cheers

Don[/quote]

Hiya Don,

thanks for the info. Yes, would be great to meet up and say Hi. My wife is about to give birth anyday now so might not be until the new year but I will check out My Space.

How you getting on wih the Stagg?

My housemate recently bought a stagg as well, and last week his shoulder strap went, it was the loop of fabric at the end which went, the stitching just gave way. That was on the way to a gig and it wasn't til he got there that he realised one of the machineheads had snapped off. It's still playable and tunable but it's not great... Think he's gonna try to get it sorted under warranty. I haven't used mine for a gig yet but the few times I have taken it to a practice it seems to have held up fine.

Also, Twit - I put up a short recording of me playing the stagg, it's somewhere on this thread, maybe page four or five? Linus also put one up I believe... :)

[quote name='Linus27' post='329662' date='Nov 15 2008, 02:30 PM']Hiya Don,

thanks for the info. Yes, would be great to meet up and say Hi. My wife is about to give birth anyday now so might not be until the new year but I will check out My Space.

How you getting on wih the Stagg?[/quote]

Getting on fine mate. I would love to increase my repertoire but need to find time to do it. Playing some modern rockabilly (trying to any way) like Imelda May. Just dont seem to be handling the slap very well. Ah well practice practice practice. Congrats on the impending Linusette. See you in the New Year

Don

Hi Stagg EUB Folks

I sometimes find that the endpin of my Stagg resonants and buzzes a bit and I have to keep adjusting it sightly till it stops.
Anyone else get this?
Does anyone know if the endpin can come out, (I can't figure out how!) as maybe I could put in some padding
cheers
Dave

Hi All,

Well I used the Stagg EDB stand last night for a gig and it worked a treat. I was able to leave it standing there, moved from my electric to the stagg during the set and even played it without removing it from the stand and it was fine.
Personally, I had tried the cymbal stand/hercules stand combo, but I had much more confidence in the Stagg stand. £35 well spent, IMHO.
Cheers,
Jim

[quote name='Rainbass' post='329988' date='Nov 16 2008, 08:36 AM']Hi Stagg EUB Folks

I sometimes find that the endpin of my Stagg resonants and buzzes a bit and I have to keep adjusting it sightly till it stops.
Anyone else get this?
Does anyone know if the endpin can come out, (I can't figure out how!) as maybe I could put in some padding
cheers
Dave[/quote]

I get the exact same thing.One of the reasons Im not progressing well with the slap technique. I think that the area where the endpin enters the Stagg (ooooeer) isnt beefy enough to stop the pin flexing and rattling about inside. Ive tried to get the pin out to reinforce the insides but like you, I cant work out how to remove it. Any help from the land of Stagg would be apppreciated

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Folks, i'm looking at joining the Stagg party in the next couple of weeks. Where is the cheapest place to purchase one at the mo? I'm not overly bothered on colour but perhaps and swayed more to the black if given the choice. I see ebay is doing one for £329...any better deals than this about?

Cheers me lovers! :)

[quote name='Rasta' post='338123' date='Nov 27 2008, 09:53 AM']Hi Folks, i'm looking at joining the Stagg party in the next couple of weeks. Where is the cheapest place to purchase one at the mo? I'm not overly bothered on colour but perhaps and swayed more to the black if given the choice. I see ebay is doing one for £329...any better deals than this about?

Cheers me lovers! :)[/quote]

Wow, They have gone up a bit

Got mine here but they are now £340
[url="http://www.zingsmusic.com/product_info.php?products_id=5176"]Stagg at Zings[/url]

£289 at Norman's
[url="http://www.zingsmusic.com/product_info.php?products_id=5176"]http://www.zingsmusic.com/product_info.php?products_id=5176[/url]

£323 at Thomann
[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/stagg_edb_3_4_bk.htm?partner_id=87171"]http://www.thomann.de/gb/stagg_edb_3_4_bk....artner_id=87171[/url]

Hi to all

I've been following this thread for a while and finally bought a Stagg - in honey - through my LGS who got close to the online prices. It is my first upright bass of any kind, as I never learnt acoustic. I had previously tried a Wav4 at the Bass Centre in London, and found it hard work on the left hand due to not having a "body" to pull against, and thought the extensions on the Stagg looked a great idea.

Well I unboxed it, tuned it up, and found it surprisingly playable. The action was very high but easily adjusted, it's now about 8mm at the end of the board. I can see that the curvature of the bridge is greater than that of the fingerboard, which causes uneven string height (A and D are higher) which I might get my local luthier to look at, and the nut could do with being cut a tad deeper. But I expected to need to pay attention to setup. The hip brace extension does exactly what I hope it would do.

However I have another problem - hum. It hums quite loudly when plugged into my amp - its not the lead or amp (Acoustic Image Coda 2R series III - which I use with all my bass guitars). If I touch the body of one of the 1/4" jack plugs (I have Neutrik plugs with metal bodies) or one of the 3.5mm jack sockets on the preamp, grounding it, the hum stops.

Has anyone else had this problem? Do you think it means a return, or is it likely to just need sorting out the ground connection internally?

Any suggestions as to why it hums (and don't say "cos it doesn't know the words...")

Finally I hope it's OK that I've posted the same question here and on Talkbass, in the hope I might get more answers.

Cheers
Nigel

Hi Nigel,

I had a very similiar problem on my Stagg. The jack socket never made a good connection and it either cut out , popped or provided a hum. I took mine back to the shop where I bought it (the joy of buying from a shop and not the internet) and he quickly replaced the jack socket and it's been fine ever since.
Cheers,
Jim

[quote name='Floyd Pepper' post='339194' date='Nov 28 2008, 08:17 AM']Hi Nigel,

I had a very similiar problem on my Stagg. The jack socket never made a good connection and it either cut out , popped or provided a hum. I took mine back to the shop where I bought it (the joy of buying from a shop and not the internet) and he quickly replaced the jack socket and it's been fine ever since.
Cheers,
Jim[/quote]

Mine doesn't hum.
Back to the shop with it.

(assuming you've tried different amps, leads, rooms, lighting and distance from telly and laptop .. All of these seem to cause hum in my passive basses)

[quote name='OldGit' post='339313' date='Nov 28 2008, 11:14 AM']assuming you've tried different amps, leads, rooms, lighting and distance from telly and laptop .. All of these seem to cause hum in my passive basses[/quote]
Yes - it still hums. Of course it's not passive!

I'll ring the shop...

[quote name='OldGit' post='341435' date='Nov 30 2008, 09:32 PM']Pretty good for Dub and Reggae I reckon ...[/quote]
Yeah, i get to play some old skool phatness. I'm mainly looking at using it in my other bands and the new 'poppy' band though (Dub Synergy - link below if interested and fancy a quick listen?) - We're planning on doing some drum n bass/jungle style tunes etc, but i'm sure a riddim or two will get played...BABA BOOM!

Irie
Lx

Edited by Rasta

Just received a red one - all very nice and prongs went in perfectly. But how are you supposed to use the (single) strap button on the back of the neck? As a bass guitarist, I can't work out the significance of a single strap button..... :)

Edited by MarcoBoi

[quote name='MarcoBoi' post='344925' date='Dec 3 2008, 11:17 PM']Just received a red one - all very nice and prongs went in perfectly. But how are you supposed to use the (single) strap button on the back of the neck? As a bass guitarist, I can't work out the significance of a single strap button..... :)[/quote]

I hang my lead off it so I don't stand on it and yank it out :huh:

If anyone is looking to buy one of these superb Stagg EUB, just to let you know that one has come up for sale in the For Sale section. Not mine may I add.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=33616&st=0&gopid=346647&#entry346647"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...mp;#entry346647[/url]

Hope that helps somebody out.

Edited by Linus27