Why become a member? ×

Stagg!!!!

mikeh

Ah, it seems to work! Right, here goes. I was doing a jazz gig on DB above a pub in Oxford a few weeks ago. I lugged all my stuff up the stairs. The guitarist mentioned a stick in PMT, Oxford's leading music tech shop which was quite cheap. When I asked if it was any good his reply was ' at that price does it matter?' So a couple of days later I went down to PMT and saw this Stagg in cherry red, just like my old EBO, at £390. The nice assistant let me have a demo and it was quite impressive. He obviously saw that I was enjoying the experience because he sidled up and said the magic words 'you can have it for £239' So I bought it.

It's obviously a budget version of the Aria but whereas the Aria has three controls (what for?) the Stagg has two - vol and sub base. I find that to get reasonable deep bass I have to keep the sub bass at max, and even then the E is not quite as strong as the others. This could be because my amps are a bit on the light side (GK, Hendricksen JazzAmp). The Stagg works a bit better through my Roland Cube and I'm sure it would be great through a small BG amp such as a 1x12" Hartg combo.

The neck is a bit plasticky - it's not ebony or graphite - but plays well enough. I think this instrument is great for a cheap entry into uprights for a BG player or perhaps a DB player wanting to explore EUBs - as I am. I might not bother with anything more ambitious for the present.

I haven't gigged it yet but took it to a rehearsal the other day. The guys were well impressed and the guitarist said it was very good, 'how much did you pay, about £1200?' !!!!!!!!!!

Edited by bassace

bassace,

Thanks for writing a full review. I'm more and more convinced that these would be a good buy. You didn't see a similar stick badged 'Eastcoast' in PMT did you? I was wondering if it was the same as the Stagg. It looked it to me.

And where were you playing? I've been up some horrible staircases in Oxford...

The figerboard is radiussed symetrically (it doesn't have an assymetric profile like most DBs) so should convert to LH easily. However, note that like many sticks it has bits sticking out to stabilise the instrument against the player's body and you would have to play around with these. I'll try to attach a photo some time but unfortunately only the fast reply button will work at present.

I've not had a EUB (or an acoustic double bass) before, but at the price of the Stagg, I thought I'd give it a go.
I went and got one yesterday (for a January birthday present so I'm not supposed to play it yet!).

I had a go in the shop (Guitar Village in Farnham) where they also had the Dean Pace. The Stagg has the longer scale, and curved fingerboard, and just felt more like a Double Bass, so I took it home. If I'd have known about the shop in Oxford selling them for £239, I'd have gone there!

Apart from the quick go on the Dean, I've not much to compare it with, but first impressions are that it does provide a very different playing experience to bass guitar, and that's what I wanted!. Sound is good, and different to bass guitar, with definate double bass feel to it. With the bass boost it has good depth to the sound. It does have a shiny finish all over, but I believe it is Maple wood throughout. The attachable metal shapes don't seem to help with much (and I could only get one of them to go into the holes).

Overall, well worth the money (even the £329 I paid) and a lot of fun!

Now I have to work out how to hold it up and play it at the same time, and I think I'll give it a go with a bow (which I don't yet have!). Any idea where to get a bow or strings for it . . . .

cheers
Dave

Rainbass

Enjoy your new acquistion! I recommend that you fix the metal bit that faces into your body and possibly discard the other - that's what I have done. Then if you press the 90 degree turned end flat into your stomach the 'face' of the instrument will be facing 135 degrees away from you (the G will almost disappear from sight) and you will have a perfect playing position for starters.

I've no experience of bowing a Stagg - probably not very good. And as for strings, that would take a whole new forum. The strings as supplied are red-ended. Surely they are not Spirocores at £130 a set. That would make a very cheap bass indeed!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm bringing mine to the BassBash and will probably sell it. It has served its purpose well by introducing me to EUB (from URB). I have now got a Steinberger which is better - but then it should be for nearly ten times the cost. I'll sell it earlier but the buyer must bring it to the Bash because there is so much interest.

This has really got me interested. I was going to get a NS Wav 4 as my intoduction to EUB but at about £700, I am about a year away from buying one. The price of the Stagg might be a good start and they look great also.

However, one comment I read was that the intonation was way out. The dots of the fretboard are in the wrong place. Has anyone noticed this or noticed any other issues?

Would it be worth making the plunge to get this or hold out for a NS Wav 4??

[quote name='Linus27' post='135352' date='Feb 6 2008, 10:44 PM']This has really got me interested. I was going to get a NS Wav 4 as my intoduction to EUB but at about £700, I am about a year away from buying one. The price of the Stagg might be a good start and they look great also.

However, one comment I read was that the intonation was way out. The dots of the fretboard are in the wrong place. Has anyone noticed this or noticed any other issues?

Would it be worth making the plunge to get this or hold out for a NS Wav 4??[/quote]

The dots are on the side of the fretboard and there are not nearly as many as the Steinberger, for instance. The dot positions are not 'way out' out and in any case the voicing is not so precise that they are a big issue. The Stagg is nowhere near a Stig but is a good introduction to EUB and better things. I got a lot of fun out of mine. It is now in the For Sale section and anyone is welcome to come round and have a go on it, whether they want to buy it or not.

I bought the Stagg EUB that Bassace was selling and I must say it is a superb instument. It is in Cherry Red, in mint condition and looks fantastic. My initial reaction was, wow, its tall, will I reach all the frets. I am only 5ft 9" :)

I asked Bassace to play it as I have never played a double bass before. He has played for many years so its probably best to let an expert show me what its all about. Well, it sounded brilliant and he made playing it look so easy. It had a nice deep growl and plenty of punch. I would not say it sounds exactly like a fretless bass or an electric bass guitar. It definately has a deep double bass type sound.

However, that is not the point. As this is an entry level EUB, I was not so concerned about the sound and more interested in how it would be in terms of cutting my teeth and learning to play EUB. It was just a bonus that it sounded so good. I can't really offer to much insight into how it plays as I have only had a 15 minute go on it but its certainly great fun if not hard work. I am finding you need strong hands to fret and plenty of patience to change techniques from electric bass to upright bass. However, after 10 minutes, I started to click with it more so I am sure after a few days, weeks and months it will be much easier. The action is a little high and I may lower this but I don't want to start changing things just yet as its to early in the day in my learning. Bassace did say it may feel very strange the action coming from electric bass and he's not wrong :huh:

If anyone is looking at trying out EUB then I can highly recommend this Stagg EUB. It sounds superb and so far plays very very well. The price tag is ideal for a beginner and anyone who wants to dable in EUB.

Many thanks to Bassace for all the help and selling me a beautiful Stagg EUB.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone!

I now have my stagg :)

Went to Croydon last night to pick it up on the way to my girlfriend's. Got about 20 minutes to play it all told, loving it so far, as linus said, very different to a bass guitar. Had my fretless for about a year before I gigged it, I can see this being at least a year and half, bearing in mind the amount of time I get to practice...

Firstly though, it looks amazing, I got metallic black, looks very sleek, feels nice and solid. Nice smooth neck and fingerboard. Cheeky blue LED too.

From what linus had said about the action I was worried it was going to be a real beast, but it's not too bad. I haven't tried adjusting the action or anything yet, so it may go up or down. It's definitely doable and I can see myself doing some damage during handshakes with my vice like grip in 6 months time. :huh:

I only had it plugged in for about 3 minutes through my trace and it sounded great, not as woody as a double bass but the lower register seemed to have that fat 'bloom' when a note is plucked. The midrange seemed a bit lacking in this, but don't hold me to that, it may just be technique...

The upper register is still a mystery to me, having barely been able to fret (as it were) the notes above the 14th. Intend to get my head around the whole shift in position thing, but feels very awkward at the moment...

Anyway, that's enough for now, I'll get some pics up soon, and give you guys an update when I feel I've made some progress/had an epiphany/started crying because my hands hurt.

Cheers,

Tom

Just a quick update...

Lovin' it! Spent last night trying to play along with some jazz standards and some fingathing tunes (awesome instrumental hip hop band, just EUB and decks, UK based too!).

I'm actually finding 4 finger technique easier than the 124 double bass thing. Hand strength has still got a long way to go, and intonation, but it's great fun. My back aches a bit. If anyone fancies giving me a few pointers that'd be nice... Or generally any info about standing position relative to the bass. Tried to find some stuff on the net but doesn't seem like there's much about...

Cheers,

Tom

[quote name='TheRinser' post='144301' date='Feb 21 2008, 12:12 PM']Just a quick update...

Lovin' it! Spent last night trying to play along with some jazz standards and some fingathing tunes (awesome instrumental hip hop band, just EUB and decks, UK based too!).

I'm actually finding 4 finger technique easier than the 124 double bass thing. Hand strength has still got a long way to go, and intonation, but it's great fun. My back aches a bit. If anyone fancies giving me a few pointers that'd be nice... Or generally any info about standing position relative to the bass. Tried to find some stuff on the net but doesn't seem like there's much about...

Cheers,

Tom[/quote]

Sounds like something for the Wiki, or at least a new thread ..