Why become a member? ×

Stagg!!!!

mikeh

[quote name='TheRinser' post='149657' date='Mar 2 2008, 12:30 AM']Hmm, definitely need to sort out a lesson with you soon Jake! how did you find the eub? how different did it feel to a proper double bass?

Cheers,

Tom[/quote]

Hi Tom,

I found the only difficulty was the lack of an actual body of the instrument as I'm used to positioning myself in contact with the rib/corner of the back, this was not a problem for Linus27 though as he was used to holding the instrument and his posture was fine. Other than that in terms of playability and technical approach it is a double bass, which is what I was trained on, so all the things I was taught, and have learned as a player apply
I did do a gig on an eub once, I had to borrow one in a hurry as I got the Isle of white, took the bass out of the van (where it lived, it was a piece of crap) and the neck had snapped off. The bass I borrowed was an NS and I could angle the neck and it was on a tripod stand, so that was in the same position as a double bass.
I do think that eubs are great, they have a sound that is a lovely middle ground between the two instruments and in the right context are just as good as either.
I am considering one, I work for two bands where it would fit in nicely.

Any time for a lesson Tom (although March is pretty busy for me) and in one or two lessons I can give you enough to work on for a number of weeks. I notice you're in Tooting, I have some sessions at The Dairy in Brixton in March (about 6-8 days) so we might be able to sort something with me coming to you, but whenever you're ready.

Jake

Hey Jake,

Encouraging stuff, glad to hear it's not too different feel-wise from the real thing. The Dairy's a cool studio, recorded there late last year... Who are you recording with, if you don't mind me asking? Anything to do with Brown Punk?

Could you PM me prices for lessons (unless you don't mind posting them up here). Me and my flatmate were thinking of maybe getting an hour between us... Depending on price... :)

How are you getting to and from the studio? We're about a 30 second walk from Tooting Broadway Tube station, if you're going by tube.

Cheers,

Tom

I've just got one of these Stagg basses and it seems great but has anyone else had trouble sticking the hip/hand supports in? I cannot get them in and I'm in danger of bending them out of shape trying! Any tips?

I find the triangular one on the left is a bastard to get in, I don't usually bother with it... You've got to push the ends down vertically, looks like it should go in at an angle but it won't. the other one I found goes in alright, just have a look at the angle of the holes and make sure they're going in at the right angle.

[quote name='TheRinser' post='150370' date='Mar 3 2008, 03:46 PM']Hey Jake,

Encouraging stuff, glad to hear it's not too different feel-wise from the real thing. The Dairy's a cool studio, recorded there late last year... Who are you recording with, if you don't mind me asking? Anything to do with Brown Punk?

Could you PM me prices for lessons (unless you don't mind posting them up here). Me and my flatmate were thinking of maybe getting an hour between us... Depending on price... :)

How are you getting to and from the studio? We're about a 30 second walk from Tooting Broadway Tube station, if you're going by tube.

Cheers,

Tom[/quote]

Hi Tom,
I'm in there with Brio Taliafero (producer) preparing for an album with a singer songwriter I work with, she's managed by 365 Artists her name is Yamit Mamo, She's great, I have a gig at the Cobden Club with her next week (tues 11th), if you fancied it I could put your name down on the guest list, it is £5 though as it a members club, I'll be playing double and electric on that one.
Getting to the studio?..I'll be driving sadly, two electrics, one double and a flightcased pre amp to carry.
I'll PM you about possible times and prices for a lesson. Doing two at once should be fine although probably a little longer (maybe 1 1/2 - 2 hrs) as I would need to do anlysis of both of you and spend a little time on individual points.
Jake

Edited by jakesbass

Hey Jake,

Ah cool, I'l try to give the tunes a listen when I finish work. Would definitely be up for coming to see you play, but I'm back home for a week from this thursday, so I might have to postpone that, and the lessons too... What dates are you up for? And are you taking everything there and back every day of the recording? If me and James were gonna both get a lesson (I've just txted him the prices you PMed, will let you know asap) I would probably be up for driving down to you and splitting petrol costs with him. Let me know what dates you're recording and I'll work out when I'm about, do you gig much around London? Would be keen to come see you play :)

Cheers,

Tom

[quote name='TheRinser' post='150953' date='Mar 4 2008, 12:20 PM']Hey Jake,

Ah cool, I'l try to give the tunes a listen when I finish work. Would definitely be up for coming to see you play, but I'm back home for a week from this thursday, so I might have to postpone that, and the lessons too... What dates are you up for? And are you taking everything there and back every day of the recording? If me and James were gonna both get a lesson (I've just txted him the prices you PMed, will let you know asap) I would probably be up for driving down to you and splitting petrol costs with him. Let me know what dates you're recording and I'll work out when I'm about, do you gig much around London? Would be keen to come see you play :)

Cheers,

Tom[/quote]
Hi Tom,
I gig in London fairly regularly although not all of them are public gigs (lots of corporates and parties etc)
I think it would probably work out a little cheaper for you guys to split costs and come here.
There are 5 days together in the studio 17-21 march so if their security is sufficient I may lock it up there, which would mean I could come to you at no extra cost. all the other days are one offs so it would probably be a bit difficult to squeeze you in.
I will have a look at my diary for potential gigs you could come to. I often play at the Bedford in Balham and the Distillers in Hammersmith, there's bound to be something soon.
Jake

Tom,

Well worth going for some lessons. Has opened my eyes to a lot and I can't wait for the next one. Just don't do what I did on Sunday which is cut your first finger open so you get a nice big cut right across the top where you would normally fret. Thats what I have done and have not been able to play for 3 days :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi - I am new around here, I just found this site and the Stagg EUB basses which looks great - especially at that price!

Just wondering has anyone tried a bow on one of these? Does it have an arc to the fret board - would this work?

I have seen the Eminence Electric Upright Bass played with a bow and it sounded great. How about the Stagg EUB?

cheers

Hi there

Just registered and have spent a fascinating half hour reading everyone's comments about the Stagg EDB. I have been a bass player for twenty years and have mainly played a fretless 4 string Stagg bass guitar for the past four years. It's been a good, basic instrument that has served me well.
While I was playing at a local jazz club just before Christmas, the visiting guest band's bassplayer did a couple of songs on a Stagg EDB 3/4. I fell in love with its looks and sound and had a play on it after the gig. I've recently taken delivery of my own Stagg EDB and am having a lot of fun getting used to it. (About £270 from Zings).
I normally play my bass guitar sitting down so I have been amazed at the freedom standing up has given me. My real reason for this posting is to ask if anyone has any tips for transition players like myself. I still find it a little strange playing in an upright position and find myself looking at the fretboard to check my finger positions more than I do with my bass guitar. Any helpful suggestions?

Edited by EffCleff

[quote name='EffCleff' post='162014' date='Mar 22 2008, 11:53 PM']Hi there

Just registered and have spent a fascinating half hour reading everyone's comments about the Stagg EDB. I have been a bass player for twenty years and have mainly played a fretless 4 string Stagg bass guitar for the past four years. It's been a good, basic instrument that has served me well.
While I was playing at a local jazz club just before Christmas, the visiting guest band's bassplayer did a couple of songs on a Stagg EDB 3/4. I fell in love with its looks and sound and had a play on it after the gig. I've recently taken delivery of my own Stagg EDB and am having a lot of fun getting used to it. (About £270 from Zings).
I normally play my bass guitar sitting down so I have been amazed at the freedom standing up has given me. My real reason for this posting is to ask if anyone has any tips for transition players like myself. I still find it a little strange playing in an upright position and find myself looking at the fretboard to check my finger positions more than I do with my bass guitar. Any helpful suggestions?[/quote]

Hi and welcome EffCleff good name :)
So ... Can this Stagg 3/4 upright also be played in 4/4? Just wondered :huh:
Sorry ... I'll get me coat, but not until I've said:

best transition tip is a few pages back up - get a few lessons from someone who teaches upright bass playing.

OG

:) Mike!! Are you still there? I tried one of these in a shop in Blackpool.Seemed pretty good.Don't know much about EUB's or the steam bass for that matter,but on its own merits,I would spend on it.And thats a big deal for me,as I swore I wouldn't have anything else with Stagg on it.Had loads of crap stuff including drumsticks etc and the rubbish I've had to repair for my students................

[quote name='mic mac moe' post='163354' date='Mar 25 2008, 08:19 PM']:) Mike!! Are you still there? I tried one of these in a shop in Blackpool.Seemed pretty good.Don't know much about EUB's or the steam bass for that matter,but on its own merits,I would spend on it.And thats a big deal for me,as I swore I wouldn't have anything else with Stagg on it.Had loads of crap stuff including drumsticks etc and the rubbish I've had to repair for my students................[/quote]

Do you mean me Mic Mac Moe???

• 2 weeks later...

[url="http://www.musik-schmidt.de/osc-schmidt/catalog/stagg-edb-34-vbr-upright-bass-violin-brown-p-22387.html"]http://www.musik-schmidt.de/osc-schmidt/ca...wn-p-22387.html[/url]

Here's some pic's of a 'violin brown' EDB. I'm a little confused of the colour options.

---

Honey:
[url="http://www.musik-schmidt.de/osc-schmidt/catalog/stagg-edb-34-h-upright-bass-honey-p-25288.html"]http://www.musik-schmidt.de/osc-schmidt/ca...ey-p-25288.html[/url]

---

Black:
[url="http://www.musik-schmidt.de/osc-schmidt/catalog/stagg-edb-34-bk-upright-bass-black-p-22386.html"]http://www.musik-schmidt.de/osc-schmidt/ca...ck-p-22386.html[/url]

Edited by paul, the

[quote name='paul, the' post='172391' date='Apr 8 2008, 04:38 PM'][url="http://www.musik-schmidt.de/osc-schmidt/catalog/stagg-edb-34-vbr-upright-bass-violin-brown-p-22387.html"]http://www.musik-schmidt.de/osc-schmidt/ca...wn-p-22387.html[/url]

Here's some pic's of a 'violin brown' EDB. I'm a little confused of the colour options.

---

Honey:
[url="http://www.musik-schmidt.de/osc-schmidt/catalog/stagg-edb-34-h-upright-bass-honey-p-25288.html"]http://www.musik-schmidt.de/osc-schmidt/ca...ey-p-25288.html[/url]

---

Black:
[url="http://www.musik-schmidt.de/osc-schmidt/catalog/stagg-edb-34-bk-upright-bass-black-p-22386.html"]http://www.musik-schmidt.de/osc-schmidt/ca...ck-p-22386.html[/url][/quote]

Mine's here from Zings. It's a black one.
[url="http://www.zingsmusic.com/product_info.php?products_id=5176"]http://www.zingsmusic.com/product_info.php?products_id=5176[/url]

It's black like a Piano is black - that kind of finish. There's a metalic black too..

• 5 weeks later...

[quote name='BeLow' post='194106' date='May 7 2008, 06:32 PM']Mine arrived today, and I am going through some of the issues you others have.

I know the height of the action has been discussed, and I also know this is a 'manly' instrument, but how low can the action be set - any comments?

Also I have taken on board the advice from previous posters and will see about some lessons, any one know of a double bass tutor in the Devon / Cornwall border area?

Post on the new arrival if you want to see more pictures of a Stagg bass.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=383&st=0&gopid=194100&#entry194100"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...mp;#entry194100[/url][/quote]

ooooooH a nice red one :)

So thats 3 reds to a black. We are fashion gurus. BeLow, I lowered the action to experiment and found that although you can go pretty low without string rattle, it changed the sound quite dramatically IMO to a slightly muddier sound. :huh: Put it back up to where it was and the nice pseudo DB sound came back. Im no expert in piezos or anything else for that matter, but it was noticeably different. Good luck with the beast. Stagg On :)

Was the action higher than what is normal for an upright?

Or is it just because you're used to bass guitars?

Obviously if Jake or the like can answer this, then cool. Whoever knows.

:) - Sorry, I have reggae on, I can't think while I'm chair-bobbing to reggae.

Hi BeLow
the string height on my jazz bass
<----(not fender) is 11mm at the end of the fingerboard, on my arco bass its 17mm.
The 11mm is an absolute minimum for me as I like to be able to roll the flesh of my pizz finger off the string producing a nice weighty ping, this percussive effect has two benefits, one is volume projection the other, especially when walking 4 in a bar, is it gives a solid front to the note which when played with a good driving feel really propels the music forward (swing)
There are people who prefer a much lower string height, the sound is less percussive and softer more like a fretless. It is purely a matter of taste.
When giving Linus27 and Rainbass lessons on their Staggs I have noticed how despite not being the top of the range of EUBs the Stagg has the most percussive tone I have encountered, making it, to my taste, closer to the real thing than others I have played. I think the main contributor to this is the string tension, which requires a minimum energy to get a sound so when you get to the minimum and beyond you are really making the string work.

In summary, set the action to your taste and hand strength being aware that a little bit more height can give a little more percussion.
The nut I have less of a feeling for, both my basses were set up by a luthier genius so all I can say is they are right. and I think fitting a business card in is just about where mine are.

Feel free to ask further if you feel I've missed anything or you think of something else, I will do my best to the extent of my knowledge and then point you to people who really know what they're talking about. Most of my knowledge is anecdotal not empirical.

enjoy, slowly slowly (at first)
Jake

Edited by jakesbass

I'm going to be brave and gig mine next week. I plan to play "These boots" and possibly "Hit the road jack" .. any other comedy classics that are relatively easy to play on upright?
I'll be using it on for a few tunes only, and then towards the end of the evening in case it's overly popular. No way I could play this thing for more than a couple of tunes at this point. My arms would fall off .... :)

[quote name='OldGit' post='195132' date='May 9 2008, 12:04 AM'].. any other comedy classics that are relatively easy to play on upright?[/quote]

The obvious one is 'Fever'

[quote name='OldGit' post='195132' date='May 9 2008, 12:04 AM']I'll be using it on for a few tunes only, and then towards the end of the evening in case it's overly popular. No way I could play this thing for more than a couple of tunes at this point. My arms would fall off .... :)[/quote]

Once you learn a decent left hand approach you will be able to be much more efficient (it shouldn't really be a strenuous process), so trying not to drone on about it, getting lessons sooner rather than later will save you time in the long run.
Jake

BTW BeLow
thanks so much for posting that info, this:

[color="#48D1CC"]ADJUSTING THE FEET:
This is often ok from the factory, but if not, it's a simple
matter to lay a piece of sandpaper on the surface of the bass,
where the bridge feet will go and then just work the bridge back
and forth gently until the proper contour is created. Be very
careful not to allow the sandpaper to scratch the bass' surface.
I masking-tape down a sheet of white paper first - before taping
down the sandpaper. Even at that, it's possible to mar the finsih
or wood if you're not careful --- my suggestion is to not use very
heavy pressure when sanding. Use many lighter strokes instead of
a lesser number of heavy strokes.[/color]

in particular is such a great thing to find out

Edited by jakesbass