Why become a member? ×

Stagg!!!!

mikeh

I've found an elegant way to fix the "STAGG RATTLE"..

Take 6" or so* of gardeners tying wire, fold it in half, push the spike all the way in and then insert the wires down inside the receiver leaving an inch or so spare. Gaffa tape the spare bit to the screening, works like a charm!

BobM.

* Your 6" may vary..

• 11 months later...

I'm borrowing one at the moment.
I've lowered the action and now getting a little too much growl I 3rd to 5th positions, mainly on E and A strings.
Does the truss rod actually do anything on these? I tried turning to the left maybe just over half a turn and the neck doesn't seem to have moved a jot. It was stiff though.
I don't suppose it works in the opposite direction like some dual action ones?
Any comments appreciated.
MBA

In my experience all they do is rattle... In fact so much on one of mine that I filled the thrussrod slot with silicon sealant....I.m.o. the only real way to get rid of buzz is to get the FB dressed by a luthier. But I guess while borrowing that is not an option. Or play with very high action of course...

Just bought a Stagg which is supposedly the deluxe version with the rosewood fingerboard, but at the price I paid I am happy regardless.
No rattles, gig bag is all in one piece and the two wire supports are there. MUCH easier on my arthritic mitts than the real upright.
Now all I have to do is sell the double bass lurking in the corner before my wife notices the new arrival!
Strictly a one in one out household these days due to space constraints, or I would keep the double bass.

:D

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just to bring this up to date, I am now a one-upright man - the real one is sold and I am now wrangling the Stagg, which turned out to be the regular version, not the deluxe. Shame but like I said, the price was fair.

I do have endpin rattle and I also cannot gt the action as low as I would like without the growl being overbearing, plus of course I have the thumping banging ang clanking complained about by everyone else.
BUT.
It takes up almost no room at all in my tiny studio! Yay! I am off to france and cant fit it in the car so remedial work will start when I get back.
Sounds rather nice through my markbass little mark 3 and a pair of 10" neos though. Plenty of (maybe too much) thump.

[quote name='ivansc' timestamp='1468512007' post='3091484']

I do have endpin rattle and I also cannot gt the action as low as I would like without the growl being overbearing, plus of course I have the thumping banging ang clanking complained about by everyone else.

[/quote]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I've found an elegant way to fix the "STAGG RATTLE"..[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Take 6" or so* of gardeners tying wire, fold it in half, push the spike all the way in and then insert the wires down inside the receiver leaving an inch or so spare. Gaffa tape the spare bit to the screening, works like a charm.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]BobM.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]* Your 6" may vary..[/font][/color]

And try turning the bass down on the Stagg and up on the amp to get rid up the thump.

• 1 month later...

Yet another noob alert.

I got myself one of these infernal contraptions on a total whim a couple of weeks ago.

How long before I stop feeling like this?

[IMG]http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad50/vinnybassist/quagmire_zpsv0conryd.jpg[/IMG]

[quote name='Vinny' timestamp='1471623536' post='3114600']
Yet another noob alert.

I got myself one of these infernal contraptions on a total whim a couple of weeks ago.

How long before I stop feeling like this?

[/quote]

When you stop trying to hold the bass steady with your left hand, and let the body extension bracket (the bit that sticks our of the side) take the strain. Hold the Stagg up at arm's length with your left arm, and then let it recline into you, until it rests against your lower belly/hip area. That should help relieve the stress on the arm.

Another option is to mount it on a stand akin to the NS Designs jobbies. A simple mod I did to mine and made a lot of difference as it is how I prefer to play it. I detailed it a bit here:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/6749-stagg/page__st__540__p__2727377#entry2727377"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/6749-stagg/page__st__540__p__2727377#entry2727377[/url]

• 2 weeks later...

Found the stand on ebay and will be investing! Getting the action etc sorted out nicely and YES turn stagg down and amp up fixes a lot of stuff.
I suspect that a set of decent strings and maybe a peizo change may well transform the "little" blighter.

Funny - My wife was driven to the airport to join me in France by the chap whop bought my Double Bass.... he mentioned to her that he had bought it. She hadnt even noticed it had gone, let alone the EUB that replaced it!
:lol:

• 1 month later...

And here we are a month or so later - first gig under my belt last tuesday.
Nobody warned me that right hand bass guitar callouses arent in the right place for right hand BASS callouses!

Two tiny white dots appeared on the side of my first and second finger, followed by soreness. Lasted a couple of days, too! I need to practice more, appaently.