Why become a member? ×

Stagg!!!!

mikeh

[quote name='jakesbass' post='195181' date='May 9 2008, 07:55 AM']The obvious one is 'Fever'[/quote]

Oh yeah good one. I see if my singer fancies that ...
Thankfully Dr Who sang These boots in that TV show "Blackpool" so we got over the possible gender thing

[quote]Once you learn a decent left hand approach you will be able to be much more efficient (it shouldn't really be a strenuous process), so trying not to drone on about it, getting lessons sooner rather than later will save you time in the long run.
Jake[/quote]

Ha ha good point :)

Sorry to drone on about it :huh:

The DB tutor is a tad hard to pin down ....

Edited by OldGit

[quote name='OldGit' post='195132' date='May 9 2008, 12:04 AM']I'm going to be brave and gig mine next week. I plan to play "These boots" and possibly "Hit the road jack" .. any other comedy classics that are relatively easy to play on upright?
I'll be using it on for a few tunes only, and then towards the end of the evening in case it's overly popular. No way I could play this thing for more than a couple of tunes at this point. My arms would fall off .... :)[/quote]

Hi OG. Im just putting the finishing touches to Boots, Cmon everybody (Double Rockabilly slap if you will) , Hound Dog, Folsom Prison Blues and Ring of Fire prior to the first proper gig in 2 weeks. I like the fever idea and also listened to The Pigeon Detectives doing a cover of Duffys Under your spell into the Minder theme on Radio 1. Sounds good so might try it. Best of luck with the gig. Beastie got a lot of attention at its inaugural outing so be prepared to be fighting em off :huh:

[quote name='BeLow' post='195606' date='May 9 2008, 06:15 PM']It is easy to forget with all the other contoversial posts that Basschat really is at its best when we are talking bass.[/quote]

I think of this EUB/DB forum as a little quiet haven where the waves are crashing at the cliffs 200yds out but lapping ashore in here.

[quote name='jakesbass' post='195620' date='May 9 2008, 06:30 PM']I think of this EUB/DB forum as a little quiet haven where the waves are crashing at the cliffs 200yds out but lapping ashore in here.[/quote]

I want some of what jakesbass is on :) :huh:

[quote name='OldGit' post='195757' date='May 9 2008, 11:26 PM']Plays an upright eh? Probably jazzcakes then :)[/quote]

Well today, he taught me Cmaj7, Dmin7 and G7 but not a sausage about Jazzcakes. How does he expect me to improve if he does not teach me about jazzcakes. I think i'm going to have to have a word with our jakesbass. :huh: ;) ;)

[quote name='Linus27' post='195766' date='May 9 2008, 11:43 PM']Well today, he taught me Cmaj7, Dmin7 and G7 but not a sausage about Jazzcakes. How does he expect me to improve if he does not teach me about jazzcakes. I think i'm going to have to have a word with our jakesbass. ;) ;) :huh:[/quote]
Jazzcakes are a very special recipe.
Patience Linus.
:) karate face :huh:

• 2 months later...

After checking out everything I could online I ordered one with the honey finish. I've played electric for years with a few jazz groups and occasionally played upright so I figured this would be a great practice tool for the dorm room. If it works it'll be fun to try on a gig. I'll try and get some pics and sound clips up as soon as it comes.

My stagg arrived yesterday and to my disappointment it had been damaged during shipping. I was greeted with a nice gouge in the neck and a large crack in the body. A quick phone call has another one on the way (after being inspected before leaving the warehouse) and a RMA # for the broken one. Hopefully the next one will be a winner.

[quote name='GSjaarda' post='261010' date='Aug 12 2008, 05:01 PM']My stagg arrived yesterday and to my disappointment it had been damaged during shipping. I was greeted with a nice gouge in the neck and a large crack in the body. A quick phone call has another one on the way (after being inspected before leaving the warehouse) and a RMA # for the broken one. Hopefully the next one will be a winner.[/quote]

Very frustrating!
Mine was just a lttle damanged so a bit of refund and everyone was happy ...

[quote name='GSjaarda' post='261010' date='Aug 12 2008, 05:01 PM']My stagg arrived yesterday and to my disappointment it had been damaged during shipping. I was greeted with a nice gouge in the neck and a large crack in the body. A quick phone call has another one on the way (after being inspected before leaving the warehouse) and a RMA # for the broken one. Hopefully the next one will be a winner.[/quote]

where did you find them in stock??
everywhere I've tried have been sold out :)

I'd really like a wine red one ...

Edited by sticker

[quote name='sticker' post='261264' date='Aug 12 2008, 11:35 PM']where did you find them in stock??
everywhere I've tried have been sold out :)

I'd really like a wine red one ...[/quote]

Tried here?
[url="http://www.playrecord.net/bowed-instruments/electric-double-bass-with-gigbag-34-model-transparent-red.p1027051.html"]Playrecord.net[/url]

[quote name='OldGit' post='261341' date='Aug 13 2008, 06:27 AM']Tried here?
[url="http://www.playrecord.net/bowed-instruments/electric-double-bass-with-gigbag-34-model-transparent-red.p1027051.html"]Playrecord.net[/url][/quote]

yup none 'til at least November :)

[quote name='BeLow' post='261765' date='Aug 13 2008, 05:50 PM']I have one of the wine red ones - from Zings music - not sure what their stock position is like now - you can see pics in this thread.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=383&st=0"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=383&st=0[/url][/quote]

yeah I know - they're the pics that agve me the Stagg EUB horn!

also Zings are out of stock and don't know when they'll get more in :)

• 4 weeks later...

Hello from across da pond!

Through the kindness of their hearts, my lovely wife and beautiful son just gave me a Stagg EDB series double bass as a birthday gift [i](after years of hearing me pine for a Ned Steinberger)[/i]. I'm very pleased and appreciative.

That said; I have a basic question about the action... a [i]possibly dumb[/i] question, which I hope I'm not boring anyone with because it might have been covered somewhere in this forum already.

The action is way too high, and I'd like to lower it. Is this something I could easily perform myself without much problem, or would it be advisable to have a professional dealer do it using special equipment. You see, I'm worried about compromising, or otherwise, screwing up the intonation. Generally speaking; how do I go about doing this? Is there a manual available, maybe online? It didn't come with one.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Yours,
me

Edited by mcarlucci

What is the height of the strings above the end of the neck? My NS has about 10mm space between string and fingerboard at the bottom end of the neck. What is the space at the nut? You should be able to fit no more than a credit card under the strings at the nut. My DB has less than that. The bridge appears to be adjustable so you should be able to raise or lower the action quite easily yourself. You shouldn't need to do anything else to it for now. DB action is better to be higher than EB as it allows you to dig in when playing.

[quote name='GSjaarda' post='261343' date='Aug 13 2008, 06:38 AM']I work for a dealer in the US so I had no problem getting one. Most colors were in stock at the suppliers warehouse. From what I can find online very few people in the US have tried them (which is why I found this website).[/quote]

Hi and welcome ..
One of our magazines did a good review about 18 months back so a lot of interest was raised here

How much to they sell for there?

[quote name='BassBus' post='278593' date='Sep 6 2008, 08:08 AM']What is the height of the strings above the end of the neck? My NS has about 10mm space between string and fingerboard at the bottom end of the neck. What is the space at the nut? You should be able to fit no more than a credit card under the strings at the nut. My DB has less than that. The bridge appears to be adjustable so you should be able to raise or lower the action quite easily yourself. You shouldn't need to do anything else to it for now. DB action is better to be higher than EB as it allows you to dig in when playing.[/quote]

[b]Thanks for all the input. I was able to adjust the action nicely with very little effort.
I have a new question concerning stands... Is there a stand out there similar to the NS design, which may be used for the Stagg? Something (like the NS stand) that would not just be a device for resting the bass, but would function as an actual brace/holder, allowing for complete accessibility? I want, on stage during performances, to be able to switch back and forth from my bass guitar to the DB "on the fly," as it were. Or, could there be a conversion apparatus idea out there somewhere?[/b]

Edited by mcarlucci

• 1 month later...