Why become a member? ×

Stagg!!!!

mikeh

Not sure if my mind is playing tricks or not, but I seem to recall seeing a photo of a Stagg with some kind of scarf/sock/something wrapped around the strings between the bridge and the tail piece. Trouble is, I can't seem to find it now. So did I see a picture? If I did, what’s the material for? Would I be right in assuming it’s some kind of damping or mute to remove unwanted harmonics?

I think Old Git had a scarf (or was it .......a cravat?) damping the strings but I might be wrong. I use a block of foam (the same stuff that lines equipment boxes). I found the strings ring out and the harmonics interfere with the clean note. Damping removed the problem immediately.

[quote name='Maxcat' post='379305' date='Jan 13 2009, 04:44 PM']I think Old Git had a scarf (or was it .......a cravat?) damping the strings but I might be wrong. I use a block of foam (the same stuff that lines equipment boxes). I found the strings ring out and the harmonics interfere with the clean note. Damping removed the problem immediately.[/quote]

ha ha Skull and crossbones head scarf I use for winter cycling, actually ..
I do that to stop the strings at that end joining in. I'm not slapping though ...

[quote name='Maxcat' post='329520' date='Nov 15 2008, 01:26 AM']OOOPS. Was it the hardware that broke or the strap itself. Ive got to be honest, i carry it like a fishing rod using the two carry handles, but I have been tempted to sling it over my back. Not any more mind you[/quote]
Apologies - I'm a couple of months late on replying to this one!

It was the stitching where the shoulder strap joined the case at the top. Over the shoulder was quite convenient but "off the shoulder" was less fun so be careful of that.

Wulf

[quote name='Maxcat' post='379441' date='Jan 13 2009, 06:15 PM']Wow. your avatar scrubs up well. I think shes just blown Jessica Rabbit out the water.[/quote]

ha ha yeah I couldn't resist ;) bit of a change from the old train spotter's Deltic
There's a japanese manga girl avatar playing a jazz on here somewhere too :P

[quote name='OldGit' post='379705' date='Jan 13 2009, 09:22 PM']ha ha yeah I couldn't resist ;) bit of a change from the old train spotter's Deltic
There's a japanese manga girl avatar playing a jazz on here somewhere too :P[/quote]

Could she handle a big red Stagg?

This new Stagg of mine is going to severely affect my set up/ pack away time at gigs. Up till now, I’ve gotten away with being the last in and first out. One combo amp, one foot switch, one fold-up stand (5 seconds) and one bass. Ready to go in 5 mins flat. Now, with the Stagg, I’ve got to take off the two body rests, push the pin in, zip it up in its bag, then dismantle the stand, which is a pretty heft piece of Meccano. And now I have to make two extra trips to the car. This will put me at least a pint behind, either side of the gig.

Talking of avatar's, I'm guessing that's not actually you, Maxcat?

Im considering a Stagg EUB for some rockabilly slapping, I can get away with some tonal discrepancies to a degree as it'll be fast and hard thumping, oooh eerr !!! These Stagg EUB's seem to have cheap chinese/generic P.bass machines so fit whatever strings fit, right? My double bass which I use for Rockabilly / Psychobilly is fitted with Eurosonic Ultralites and I reckon these strings I seem to like so much may not fit a Stagg EUB's machines. The string ends seem too big to fit bass guitar machines.......any ideas or advice? W.

[quote name='slobluesine' post='387378' date='Jan 21 2009, 12:16 PM']what is everyone getting out of their batteries on Staggs? seems to drain pretty quick on mine, anyone change theirs evry gig then?[/quote]

Not changed it so far but I only plug it in when I'm actually playing it ..

We use tons of 9v in our wireless kit and the best so far are the Duracell procells and the B&Q orange one ;)

[quote name='Wayne Firefly' post='386776' date='Jan 20 2009, 09:34 PM']Im considering a Stagg EUB for some rockabilly slapping, I can get away with some tonal discrepancies to a degree as it'll be fast and hard thumping, oooh eerr !!! These Stagg EUB's seem to have cheap chinese/generic P.bass machines so fit whatever strings fit, right? My double bass which I use for Rockabilly / Psychobilly is fitted with Eurosonic Ultralites and I reckon these strings I seem to like so much may not fit a Stagg EUB's machines. The string ends seem too big to fit bass guitar machines.......any ideas or advice? W.[/quote]

Change the strings?? [shudders at thought of price]

[quote name='OldGit' post='387398' date='Jan 21 2009, 12:33 PM']Not changed it so far but I only plug it in when I'm actually playing it ..

We use tons of 9v in our wireless kit and the best so far are the Duracell procells and the B&Q orange one ;)[/quote]

WHAT!! not changed it ever :P , how many gigs have you done on the one batt then?

[quote name='slobluesine' post='387411' date='Jan 21 2009, 12:38 PM']WHAT!! not changed it ever :P , how many gigs have you done on the one batt then?[/quote]

Oh dear .. am I not using it enough? ;)
I've done two full gigs and about 7 or so where I play two tunes on it ..
plus home noodling.

And as I said, as with any battery powered bass, I unplug the lead if I'm not actually playing it.
Not between numbers on the whole gigs but you know what I mean, if it's on the stand it's unplugged

I have never changed my battery either. I have had about 5 lessons, lasting about 2 hours each with the Stagg plugged in for all of it. Plus, playing at home which would amount to many hours. Maybe 20 hours in total. Maybe a little less or maybe a lot more and never changed the battery yet.

[quote name='Wayne Firefly' post='386776' date='Jan 20 2009, 09:34 PM']Im considering a Stagg EUB for some rockabilly slapping, I can get away with some tonal discrepancies to a degree as it'll be fast and hard thumping, oooh eerr !!! These Stagg EUB's seem to have cheap chinese/generic P.bass machines so fit whatever strings fit, right? My double bass which I use for Rockabilly / Psychobilly is fitted with Eurosonic Ultralites and I reckon these strings I seem to like so much may not fit a Stagg EUB's machines. The string ends seem too big to fit bass guitar machines.......any ideas or advice? W.[/quote]

Hi mate. I cant help with string change issues coz Ive still got the originals on. But slapping on the Stagg has caused a few issues. Now most of this needs to be taken in the context of I am not a slapper and am by no means an expert on upright anything. However the slap sound that I can get from the Stagg leaves a lot to be desired. It obviously doesnt have the woody percussive sound that
sounds so good on an upright, but also all the other parts of the bass seem to want to join in and the pickup is more than happy to oblige. By that I mean that the end pin rattles like a good un with anything but a mild approach, and the sound just becomes very muddled. That has a lot to do with my fledgling technique but I would advise a trial run before purchasing the beast just for slapping. That aside, its a great bit of kit for the cash as you can tell from all the praiseworthy posts on this thread. Hope I havent stuck my oar in where its not wanted

Cheers

Hi Maxcat, did you try sellotaping bubble wrap to the top end of the pin? Ever since I did that, my rattle has disappeared. I'm also loving the sound now I've wrapped some material round the strings between the bridge and tailpiece to mute the unwanted resonances. I am delighted with my acquisition and would definitely recommend it as an instrument in it's own right.

If by slapping you mean hitting the string downwards against the fingerboard, then I've not tried it so can't really comment. What I have tried is plucking upwards and letting the string vibrate back against the fingerboard and that makes a pleasing sound which sounds a little slap-like.

[quote name='Andyalfa' post='388218' date='Jan 22 2009, 09:15 AM']Hi Maxcat, did you try sellotaping bubble wrap to the top end of the pin? Ever since I did that, my rattle has disappeared. I'm also loving the sound now I've wrapped some material round the strings between the bridge and tailpiece to mute the unwanted resonances. I am delighted with my acquisition and would definitely recommend it as an instrument in it's own right.

If by slapping you mean hitting the string downwards against the fingerboard, then I've not tried it so can't really comment. What I have tried is plucking upwards and letting the string vibrate back against the fingerboard and that makes a pleasing sound which sounds a little slap-like.[/quote]

Hi mate Havent tried the bubble wrapping yet but Ill get round to it before the next gig. Yeah the single slap sounds good tho Im still working on my speed and accuracy but its really the double slap (when you follow the upward pull with a downward hit on the string to bang it off the fingerboard that makes the unwanted clatter. God only knows what it will sound like if I ever get to the dizzy heights of triple slapping!!!! Ill try the endpin fix and see if that helps. Or maybe Ill just watch a film with triple slapping in the title ;)

[quote name='Andyalfa' post='388234' date='Jan 22 2009, 09:36 AM']Did you see Imelda May on Jools Holland? He DB player Al Gare looked and sounded fantastic on Johnny Got A Boom Boom? Now there's a slapper. Not using a Stagg though, I notice...[/quote]

Yeah I instantly became a fan. He makes it look so easy but reading his blog he has been doing it for 100 years. Not just a great sound but a great look as well. My band are talking about doing Johnny got a Boom Boom but Im no where near that sound.