Why become a member? ×

Your first bassline

16Again

What was the bassline you heard that made you decide to be a bassist?
I think mine was probably Pretty Green by The Jam, so easy but so effective!

Then i started saving for my first bass which was a KAY bought from Marshal Ward clubby book back in the year dot! :)

Loved the bass for years until decided to learn it about a year ago. Never regretted it for one minute and I can feel myself improving and I'm light years away from my first attempts 12 months ago.

One bass line that always made me want to play 'air' bass was 'Same Old Scene' by Roxy Music or 'Peaches' by The Stranglers or Anything by Japan.

My first Bass was a Kay also!

Inspiration wise I would say that even though it came out a while after I'd officially started playing; the "Fellow Hoodlums" album by Deacon Blue was the main reason I got off my a$$ and started trying to play the Bass properly; in particular, tracks like "The Wildness" and "Your Swaying Arms" displayed really melodic playing, the like of which I'd not noticed before in Basslines.

I didn't hear a basss line and decide to be a bassist - I wanted to play rock music and everyone and their dog was a guitarist.

The first bass line I learnt was Whole Lotta Rosie by AC/DC.

The first bass line I heard that made me sit up and take notice was probably Badge by Cream.

[quote name='bassmandan' post='71588' date='Oct 9 2007, 03:03 PM']My first Bass was a Kay also!

Inspiration wise I would say that even though it came out a while after I'd officially started playing; the "Fellow Hoodlums" album by Deacon Blue was the main reason I got off my a$$ and started trying to play the Bass properly; in particular, tracks like "The Wildness" and "Your Swaying Arms" displayed really melodic playing, the like of which I'd not noticed before in Basslines.[/quote]

HOWEVER.... if that hadn't done the job, I'm sure this would have!

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lecytazY6n4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lecytazY6n4[/url]

mods: feel free to do your thang with this, cos it never flippin' works when I try! :)

mine was that song by the 4 non blondes - i think it was called "what's up"

a bit of Pop Trivia for you: The front woman from 4 non blondes is now the songwriter for Pink (I think her name is Linda something) - not the best bit of trivia, needs the blanks filled in lol

I think it was a repeat of the tube and saw mark king playing and actually thought it was cool (wrong). The first bassline i learnt was a bach cello suite as it was the only tab I had. No sh*t. I sat there with the tab until I could play at least half of it, although not very smoothly.

I can't remember what song made me want to play bass, all I can remember is that the behind-the-scenes stuff on Incubus' 'Morning View Sessions' DVD made me want to be in a band. It still inspires me every time I watch it.

First bassline I ever learnt (can't believe I'm the first to say it - maybe I'm just the first to admit to it? :)) was Smells Like Teen Spirit.

[quote name='gilmour' post='71605' date='Oct 9 2007, 03:31 PM']mine was that song by the 4 non blondes - i think it was called "what's up"

a bit of Pop Trivia for you: The front woman from 4 non blondes is now the songwriter for Pink (I think her name is Linda something) - not the best bit of trivia, needs the blanks filled in lol[/quote]

She also wrote 'what you waiting for' for Gwen Stefani

[quote name='bassmandan' post='71595' date='Oct 9 2007, 03:15 PM']HOWEVER.... if that hadn't done the job, I'm sure this would have!

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lecytazY6n4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lecytazY6n4[/url]

mods: feel free to do your thang with this, cos it never flippin' works when I try! :)[/quote]

AP is brilliant...sad thing is that was me a few years back