Why become a member? ×

Audition advice?

bobbass4k

Learn the stuff well, learn slightly more than they're expecting, turn up on time in a chilled frame of mind and remember that you're auditioning them just as much as they are you.

At my last one, I got the job because one bloke didn't turn up and the other hadn't learned enough material. So I was sh*t but the best available :)

Cheers

Mark

Try to dress like their target audience, only better.
Arrive on time, straight and sober, kit all in order.
If you have a car, bring your own combo (even if they've promised that backline will be provided).
Avoid saying anything more than you need to - you can do a staggering amount of damage with a casual, throwaway comment.
Be ready to play the chosen songs in any order and (if necessary) in a different key to what you've rehearsed.
Have some alternative basslines available so that you can respond to comments from the band.
Decide before you get there what sequence would suit you best. Given the choice, you'll sound far more confident.
EYE CONTACT, especially with the drummer.
If you're having fun then smile. If you're not, a frown of concentration is acceptable.
Be ready for the unexpected. At an audition last week, the band invited me to help them write their next song ...
Good luck.

have some Special Brew, throw up in the back of a cab, tell the bazdaz they're all fukkin geddin it and then fall asleep in your own wee.

Exactly how not to get the gig.

I have a habit of overplaying so perhaps the best way to approach it would be to learn everything, maybe find a little something you can add in yourself and save the bass solos for the second or third gig.

Look beyond the audition. It's often overlooked. They want someone who fits in because you'll all be locked in rehearsal rooms, gigging together and maybe recording. I think an ability to slot right in is as important as being able to play. And remember you are are also auditioning them to a point (probably best you don't actually say this though!).

+1 on the fitting in thing. I'm far from the best bass player in my geographical area, but I play what I'm supposed to when I'm supposed to play it, I don't cause dramas, I get on well with everyone (drummer in particular - both musically and personally), have own gear, have own transport, can look after the myspace, yada yada. In fact sometimes I suspect that I'm in the band more because of these other factors than for my playing :)

Try to assess them as you play, in the way that you assess how an audience is responding to you. If you pull off something a bit flash in a tasteful spot, and it gets a smile or a musical response, then do it again. If it gets a frown then don't. If you dance or get your body groovin' as you play, and they do too, marvellous. If they're all stood like statues with shoegazing expressions, probably best to ditch the Flea impressions.