Why become a member? ×

Steely Dan

Mickeyboro

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='651419' date='Nov 11 2009, 10:57 AM']I love the irony that The Funk Brothers were all jazz musicians :)[/quote]
oh yes they were!! hence such an improvisational nature to the parts.
And to keep it on topic the whole scene played a massive part in influencing SD, there are references strewn throughout their material musically and lyrically.

Edited by jakesbass

For the record: Motown was a Detroit based record company and the jazz scene in Detroit was, arguably, second only to New York for its influence on Jazz overall. Paul Chambers, Ron Carter, Kenny Burrell, Hank Jones, Thad Jones, Elvin Jones, Milt Jackson, Yusef Lateef, Barry Harris, Pepper Adams, Curtis Fuller, Doug Watkins, Kenny, McKinley's Cotton Pickers, the Jean Goldkette Orchestra, Marcus Belgrave, Earl Klugh, Kenny Garrett, James Carter, Geri Allen, Donald Byrd, Tommy Flanagan, Al McKibbon (3 of Miles' bass players were from Detroit), Sir Roland Hanna... The Funk Brothers drank the same water and couldn't but have been influenced by that environment.

This is all covered in detail in Lars Bjorn and Jim Gallert's 'Before Motown: A History of Jazz in Detroit 1920 - 1960.

[url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Before-Motown-History-Detroit-1920-60/dp/0472067656/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1257940017&sr=1-1"]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Before-Motown-Hist...0017&sr=1-1[/url]

Jim was particularly helpful in my research on Paul Chambers so buy his book. Now.

I'm 40 and the only Steely Dan I've heard is via friends in their 50's. I've just had a quick YouTube of some stuff and reconise a lot of it, some of it sounds good, some of it a little busy bass wise. What's the best album for me to download, or should I just download some classic tracks?

I think the whole good/bad music debate needs to be taken into context. I don't really like Motown,The Beatles or The Rolling Stones but I don't think this is because the music is bad or good. People strongly associate memories and emotion with music. I wasn't born in the 60's so I have no emotional attachment with the music, they are just tunes to me.

How many of you Dan fans are 45+?

There are some tunes from the 80's when I was a teenager that are absolutely dire musically wise, but I like to listen to them and they seem to be popular at the moment. Possibly because the producers of shows are 40-50 years old now?

Edited by TimR

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='651575' date='Nov 11 2009, 01:12 PM']Sorry, peeps, its my autism (although these are all really big names in jazz - or is that an oxymoron :))

Staying with Katy Lied, I love the vocal harmonies on Dr. Wu....[/quote]

That's a good track. I've just downloaded The Very Best of Steely Dan CDI and CDII, its on there. Nice! Thanks guys.

[quote name='Mickeyboro' post='651421' date='Nov 11 2009, 10:58 AM']What a thread I started!

The I saw them in 2000 and, yes, musically impeccable but not exactly exciting.[/quote]

If that was the one at the old wembley I went up with a group of friends we had been excited for weeks , but we left before the end because the sound was appalling.

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='651394' date='Nov 11 2009, 10:22 AM']Back to the Dan - I love the music and the basslines just think they're a bit up their own arts. Don't fancy seeing them live; they always look miserable![/quote]

Oy Matt :) I saw them at Hammersmith just a couple of years ago and was expecting them to be miserable / no interaction with the audience but it wasn't like that at all. There was a great atmosphere and I felt a genuine warmth from them. For me it was the best gig I've ever been to although I'll admit to being a bit biased as a lifelong fan.

As 'songs' to listen to I'd much rather put on the first 3 albums.... or 'Royal Scam' (which is my fave).... but then I do love the guitar interplay of Skunk and Denny which I think was sorely missing from their later work.

I have all their albums but hardly ever listen to the last 3..... too sterile and background/lounge for me....

[quote name='bumnote' post='651582' date='Nov 11 2009, 01:27 PM']If that was the one at the old wembley I went up with a group of friends we had been excited for weeks , but we left before the end because the sound was appalling.[/quote]

Same here. Dreadful, indiscernible sound. They also appeared to be incredibly pretentious. I'd waited twenty odd years to see them only to be bitterly disappointed by the experience. Left halfway through.

Personally, I much prefer their early albums, 'Pretzel Logic' and 'Can't Buy A Thrill' and the slightly later track 'Haitian Divorce'. Not sure if I'd class myself as a fan, certainly appreciate them though. Age group? I'm 50 next March (and loving it.)

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='651936' date='Nov 11 2009, 08:17 PM']That Two Against Nature dvd was what got me into them a couple of years ago. Saw it, loved it, bought it, and several cds since. And I'm a jazz nazi. The interviews are a joke. Lighten up![/quote]

Its not a case of lightening up, I just don't like what they're doing at the moment. As you've bought several of their CDs you can surely see that they have changed a lot (as you would expect over 30 years). Personally I far prefer the older stuff, whereas you quite like the newere stuff (and possibly the older stuff as well).

Perhaps the interviews are a joke - I didn't realise that at the time as they didn't make me laugh much. The whole DVD still gave me the impression that they are a bit up their own bottoms, but that's my opinion and I respect yours.

[quote name='grahamd' post='652001' date='Nov 11 2009, 09:17 PM']Love this thread, not much more to add except to agree most of their best featured Jeff Baxter. My favourite Dan track changes, but Gaucho slays me every time. Do ND play it Pete?[/quote]

We have played Gaucho quite a few times. Fantastic piece of music. Over the years we've covered almost 70 SD and Fagen tracks. The newer tracks last a couple of months. Most people want the classic stuff.

Not sure I agree with the sound being bad at gigs, but I remember the '96 tour, where I saw them in Brum. Everything was crystal except the bass, which was just a mush.

[quote name='Count Bassy' post='652166' date='Nov 12 2009, 12:25 AM']Its not a case of lightening up, I just don't like what they're doing at the moment. As you've bought several of their CDs you can surely see that they have changed a lot (as you would expect over 30 years). Personally I far prefer the older stuff, whereas you quite like the newere stuff (and possibly the older stuff as well).

Perhaps the interviews are a joke - I didn't realise that at the time as they didn't make me laugh much. The whole DVD still gave me the impression that they are a bit up their own bottoms, but that's my opinion and I respect yours.[/quote]

Becker and Fagen are very clever. They are supreme p@ss-takers.

[quote name='beerdragon' post='650709' date='Nov 10 2009, 03:08 PM']Yeah, i know people who don't like the Beatles.[/quote]

That'll be me then - I find them almost unlistenable - if one of their songs comes on the radio then I'm heading for the change channel button almost immediately!

In terms of the Dan - I love the idea of 'treating' yourself to a morning of their best work :)

I bought the 4 CD box set a while ago & love it. I have some original albums but really enjoy playing through the whole catalogue in sequence.

Apart from a lot of the stuff that's been said elsewhere in this thread I think it's the guitar solos that really stand out for me. So many amazing solos seemingly just dropped in and pretty much every one of them has something really listenable whilst also being bloody clever.

I think Larry Carlton probably plays my favourite ones but I don't know each track well enough to know exactly who plays on which song.

There's a couple of them in the middle of this sequence on Youtube (skip straight to about 1:30 if you want to miss Hill Street!)

Edited by molan