Why become a member? ×

Steely Dan

Mickeyboro

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='650162' date='Nov 9 2009, 10:01 PM']My Girl - Temptations
Ooh Baby Baby - The Miracles
To Many Fish In The Sea - The Marvelettes
Heat Wave - Martha & The Vandellas
This Old Heart Of Mine - Isley Brothers
Where Did Our Love Go (U) - Diana/Supremes
My Guy - Mary Wells
Dancing In The Streets - Martha & The Vandellas
Don't Mess With Bill - The Marvelettes
Mickey's Monkey (U) - The Miracles
Cloud Nine - Temptations
My Baby Loves Me - Martha & The Vandellas
Little Darling (I Need You) - 4 Tops
I'm Ready For Love
The Way You Do The Things You Do - Temptations
You're All I Need To Get By - Temptations
You Can't Hurry Love - Diana/Supremes
Shop Around - The Miracles
Take Me In Your Arms (And Rock Me A Little While) - Brenda Holloway
My Baby Must Be A Magician - The Marvelettes
Love Is Like An Itching In My Heart - Diana/Supremes
Beauty Is Only Skin Deep - Temptations
Going To A Go-Go - The Miracles
Hitch Hike - Marvin Gaye
I Second That Emotion - The Miracles
Please Mr. Postman - The Marvelettes
Jmmy Mack - Martha & The Vandellas
Shake Me, Wake Me (When It's Over) - 4 Tops
I'm Gonna Make You Love Me - Temptations
Get Ready - Temptations
Stop! In The Name Of Love - Diana/Supremes
Nowhere To Run - Martha & The Vandellas
Seven Rooms Of Gloom - 4 Tops
Pride & Joy - Marvin Gaye
(I Know) I'm Losing You - Temptations
Two Lovers - Mary Wells
I'll Turn To Stone - 4 Tops
Come See About Me - Diana/Supremes
If I Were your Woman Gladys Knight & The Pips
My World Is Empty Without You - Diana/Supremes
The Tracks Of My Tears - The Miracles
Can I Get A Witness - Marvin Gaye
The Girls Alright With Me - Temptations
Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Da Day - Stevie Wonder
Reflections - Diana/Supremes
What Becomes Of The Broken Hearted - Jimmy Ruffin
Quicksand... - Martha & The Vandellas
Reach Out...I'll Be There - 4 Tops
You Beat Me To The Punch - Mary Wells
The Bells - The Originals
All in the Game - Four Tops
My Baby - Temptations
This Old Heart Of Mine - Isley Brothers
My Whole World Ended (The Moment You Left) - David Ruffin
It Takes Two - Marvin Gaye/Tammy Terrell
To Busy Thinking About My Baby - Marvin Gaye
When Your Young And In Love - Marvelettes
I Were Your Woman - Gladys Knight & the Pips
It's Growing - The Temptations
I Can't Get Next To You - Temptations
Heart Breaking Guy - Supremes

Mostly bubblegum and dross. Some great lines on paper but not great songs by my standards. You are allowed to disagree (how big of me) but that's what I think.[/quote]

What????????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I googled a list of Jamerson tunes and took out the ones I liked or hadn't heard.

My point is not to dismiss a whole genre but to simply point out that, on an entirely subjective basis, great lines played by a great player won't make me 'like' material that I find a bit icky. 'My Girl' fails to move me in any way whatsoever. 'Jimmy Mack' is a load of old tosh :) 'Please Mr Postman'/ PLEEEEASE!

It ain't rocket science. What this is is the Stock Aitken and Waterman of its day. Formulaic, repetitious, music as factory work. You like it because you are familiar with it and may have some emotional connection with it for some reason. I don't. I look at it as a part of the whole catalogue of available musics and I don't rate it that highly. I don't own any Motown material at all and don't want to. You can't avoid hearing it - its everywhere but I find most of it superficial and tedious. I play several of these Motown tunes in function bands: I Want You Back is one, a couple of Stevie Wonder tunes etc. Its ok and it goes down well but great music? I don't believe so.

Before the bricks start flying, remember: my opinions don't mean squat and certainly don't mean that you can't like it just as much as you did before I wrote this :rolleyes:

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='650406' date='Nov 10 2009, 09:56 AM']I googled a list of Jamerson tunes and took out the ones I liked or hadn't heard.

My point is not to dismiss a whole genre but to simply point out that, on an entirely subjective basis, great lines played by a great player won't make me 'like' material that I find a bit icky. 'My Girl' fails to move me in any way whatsoever. 'Jimmy Mack' is a load of old tosh :rolleyes: 'Please Mr Postman'/ PLEEEEASE!

It ain't rocket science. What this is is the Stock Aitken and Waterman of its day. Formulaic, repetitious, music as factory work. You like it because you are familiar with it and may have some emotional connection with it for some reason. I don't. I look at it as a part of the whole catalogue of available musics and I don't rate it that highly. I don't own any Motown material at all and don't want to. You can't avoid hearing it - its everywhere but I find most of it superficial and tedious. I play several of these Motown tunes in function bands: I Want You Back is one, a couple of Stevie Wonder tunes etc. Its ok and it goes down well but great music? I don't believe so.

Before the bricks start flying, remember: my opinions don't mean squat and certainly don't mean that you can't like it just as much as you did before I wrote this :lol:[/quote]
I agree [i]and[/i] I still like it. :)

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='650714' date='Nov 10 2009, 03:11 PM']Tedious, tosh, formulaic...reminds me of a lot of 'smooth' jazz.[/quote]

Doesn't it? Tosh is tosh. Give it whatever label you like - you can't polish a turd :)

Lighten up, guys!. I don't like Motown. Its not a crime.

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='650734' date='Nov 10 2009, 03:23 PM']Doesn't it? Tosh is tosh. Give it whatever label you like - you can't polish a turd :)

Lighten up, guys!. I don't like Motown. Its not a crime.[/quote]
Interesting, I think that what is lost on you in motown is very similar to what you try to point out to others in your various assertions regarding the artistry of many jazz performers. It seems to me that you possibly don't have a connection with what motown is for, eg it feels good, it's not taxing, it's light natured, it's for the lightness of spirit emanating from the need to shed the troubles of the working week and what it meant to be black in America at that time, it clings to Africa in that the players let down their hair and invite the listener in to a feel good half hour or so, and join in with a holler or a shuffle.
I can see that compositionally some of the material is not substantially artistically challenging but would it fulfill the same role if it were? I doubt it... and surely any attempt for it to be that would miss the point. One of it's greatest attributes is that it's done by people who didn't have to think hard about what they are doing, because it's a very natural art form, or furrow their collective brow in trying to eke out the quintessential last drop of pained artistry from every note, they simply did what they did, and millions couldn't resist the urge to get to the dance floor and suspend the drudgery of the working week, the racism, the poverty. Some of history's great players went through the motown studios and their magic ingredient was how good it all felt.
Thats what I reckon anyhow....

Edited by jakesbass

[quote name='jakesbass' post='651088' date='Nov 10 2009, 10:09 PM']Interesting, I think that what is lost on you in motown is very similar to what you try to point out to others in your various assertions regarding the artistry of many jazz performers. It seems to me that you possibly don't have a connection with what motown is for, eg it feels good, it's not taxing, it's light natured, it's for the lightness of spirit emanating from the need to shed the troubles of the working week and what it meant to be black in America at that time, it clings to Africa in that the players let down their hair and invite the listener in to a feel good half hour or so, and join in with a holler or a shuffle.
I can see that compositionally some of the material is not substantially artistically challenging but would it fulfill the same role if it were? I doubt it... and surely any attempt for it to be that would miss the point. One of it's greatest attributes is that it's done by people who didn't have to think hard about what they are doing, because it's a very natural art form, or furrow their collective brow in trying to eke out the quintessential last drop of pained artistry from every note, they simply did what they did, and millions couldn't resist the urge to get to the dance floor and suspend the drudgery of the working week, the racism, the poverty. Some of history's great players went through the motown studios and their magic ingredient was how good it all felt.
Thats what I reckon anyhow....[/quote]Well said Jake.
Motown is the main driving force in modern popular music, it was of the people for the people and the white audience didn't even know what was happening.
It took jazz, sex, soul, redemption, freedom, darkness, gospel, all the infuences of modern America, that had winnners and losers.
It challenged rock and roll and made men, women, black, white, rich, poor feel good.

[quote name='jakesbass' post='651088' date='Nov 10 2009, 10:09 PM']Interesting, I think that what is lost on you in motown is very similar to what you try to point out to others in your various assertions regarding the artistry of many jazz performers. It seems to me that you possibly don't have a connection with what motown is for, eg it feels good, it's not taxing, it's light natured, it's for the lightness of spirit emanating from the need to shed the troubles of the working week and what it meant to be black in America at that time, it clings to Africa in that the players let down their hair and invite the listener in to a feel good half hour or so, and join in with a holler or a shuffle.
Thats what I reckon anyhow....[/quote]

That makes good read Jake.

Garry

Was thinking for ages how to reply to this, and you've nailed it far more eloquently than I could have ever done - great!

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='650734' date='Nov 10 2009, 03:23 PM']Doesn't it? Tosh is tosh. Give it whatever label you like - you can't polish a turd :)

Lighten up, guys!. I don't like Motown. Its not a crime.[/quote]

I reckon you could polish a turd. Freeze it until it's solid, apply a coat of lacquer, then give it a good buffing. Hey presto!

Just want to add folks that I'm not in the game of simply winning arguments here. Bilbo and I are friends and have conversed many times via PM about many subjects including a love of Jazz which we both have. The post I wrote that seems to say it for a few people is just the other side of the argument, and is designed to show motown to have the integrity that, in my eyes, does reside within it. I certainly am not looking to change anyones mind in their likes and dislikes. :)
Jake

Edited by jakesbass

Jake is absolutely right in contextualising the merits of Motown. I have absolutely no problem acknowledging the success of what these artists produced and its purpose and place in the market. Its historical and sociological contribution is discussed in detail elsewhere but that's not what I was attacking. My point was only to highlight the fact that a great bassline will not turn a piece of music I don't like into one that I do. If I don't like 'My Girl', it has nothing to do with the relative merits of its bassline. In superficial terms (i.e. on the basis that Jake believes this material was produced - it feels good, it's not taxing, it's light natured etc), it doesn't 'do it' for me, Jamerson or not. I find the same applies to most Motown.

There are plenty of simple pieces that I love, most of which have no strong 'technical' elements to their production, just the right notes and the right chords in the right order etc. My favourite pieces are almost always not Jazz/Fusion/techncial/complex - they are simple pieces that move me. In a nutshell, the magic ingredient that is there in the pieces of music that effect me emotionally are seldom, if ever, there in Motown. To my ears, its mostly bubblegum and a great bass line doesn't make it otherwise. That, and only that, was my point.

What a thread I started!

As for seeing em live, I had a ticket for the aborted 1974 tour when they peed off back home halfway thru - my pal saw them in London and continually reminded me what I'd missed!

The I saw them in 2000 and, yes, musically impeccable but not exactly exciting.