Why become a member? ×

Hitting a musical wall.

AM1

I'm feeling really angry, frustrated and disappointed with myself.

I can't see any progress happening lately, whereas before this it was happening in leaps and bounds.

Even though I usually do make time for structured practice, lately I just keep picking up the bass and jamming. It's like I can't help myself. I have wasted hours and hours of time recently just creating riffs and grooves to backing drum tracks and basically p*ssing about. It's not constructive other than how totally therapeutic it is after a sh*t day. I seem to be playing bass a lot as a sanctuary but not actually doing anything to progress my playing.

I have thought through this carefully as it is not like me to be so undisciplined and I think the main reason I am constantly noodling is because I can't quite figure out what to do next in terms of learning. I have already tried loads of genres, techniques and music rudiments and they are things to keep working at but what else can I do to expand my bass horizons?

I dismissed it as just a phase but it's happening too often now. I need something to get me back on track and trucking forward again.

Any hints or tips gratefully received as this is really making me feel totally disappointed with myself.

[quote name='AM1' post='649318' date='Nov 9 2009, 12:49 AM']I'm feeling really angry, frustrated and disappointed with myself.

I can't see any progress happening lately, whereas before this it was happening in leaps and bounds.

Even though I usually do make time for structured practice, lately I just keep picking up the bass and jamming. It's like I can't help myself. I have wasted hours and hours of time recently just creating riffs and grooves to backing drum tracks and basically p*ssing about. It's not constructive other than how totally therapeutic it is after a sh*t day. I seem to be playing bass a lot as a sanctuary but not actually doing anything to progress my playing.

I have thought through this carefully as it is not like me to be so undisciplined and I think the main reason I am constantly noodling is because I can't quite figure out what to do next in terms of learning. I have already tried loads of genres, techniques and music rudiments and they are things to keep working at but what else can I do to expand my bass horizons?

I dismissed it as just a phase but it's happening too often now. I need something to get me back on track and trucking forward again.

Any hints or tips gratefully received as this is really making me feel totally disappointed with myself.[/quote]

Im unsure of the level your at (whether your pro), but sometimes a lesson off a tutor can give you new ideas to work with/ new things to try. Certainly opened my eyes and gave me a lot of motivation again!! I was in your position not so long ago, and after a bit bit of persuading, i booked a lesson....best decision i could of made!! im enjoying again, and fully motivated!

Having played for many years I know where you're at. This isn't a bad thing as noodling/jamming helps you to be creative & keeps the simple things easy to play (if you know what I mean). What I don't like is when there is a completed song(s) that a band has but one of the musicians keep noodling it every time!

I agree with Funkshui that a couple of lessons may help you there or you could go down the YouTube route & have a look at some things on there, I learned a few good techniques from there.

My suggestion to get past that wall would be to listen to a style of music that you don't (or haven't in a long time). Maybe some Americana or Funk might help.

Sit down.

Put your bass next to you.

Dont play.

Wait for 10 minutes in silence.

Listen to the music that comes into your head.

Really really concentrate on it.

Learn the phrasing, really precisely.

Pick up your bass and work it out exactly as you imagined it.

Record it.

Analyse the chords you are playing through.

Work them out on your bass.

Record them.

Listen to what you've got twice.

Stop.

Sit down.

Repeat.....

I've always found that practice for practice sake with out any immediate real-world application for what I'm doing fairly pointless.

1. Are you in a band?
If not join one now.

2. If your already in a band how well do you know the songs? Can you play them faultlessly every time? There's the old saying about not practising until you've got it right but to carry on practising until you can't get it wrong. Are your basslines as good as they could be? Try playing less. Try playing something completely different.

3. If you've done all that and still have the time available join another band. This time playing music that's not in your comfort zone.

4. Do you write songs/music?
If not start doing it now. To me being able to compose/write a song is a far more useful skill then being able to play thousands of patterns in many different styles.

Hope that's given you some food for thought.

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='The Funk' post='649477' date='Nov 9 2009, 10:38 AM']I don't see anything wrong with a few months of noodling after a few months of intensive learning. It's a good way to internalise everything you've been working on and incorporate it into your playing.[/quote]

I agree.

Also, it's often that when there's not so much structure it's easy to think you're not making progress, when in fact there's lots of progess being made, it's just small and incremental.

my advice is to learn another instrument. learning multiple instruments can really push you and change your perspective of how creative you can be. also as others have said writing and recording is another good way of progressing yourself.

Personally I havnt pushed myself to prgress as a bassist in about 5 years. I've got to a level where i am comfortable in technical ability and now only concentrate on timing and feel. like learning to play behind and infront of the beat, that was probably the best thing i have ever got to grips with. Not being super technical can be very rewarding and it's certainly worked in my favour for getting sessions and work.

good luck and hope you climb over your musical wall soon!

wes

The best bet is to take a few lessons. I do this a couple of times a year just
to get a different perspective and some new ideas that I wouldn't think of myself-in fact
I did it yesterday.
How's your reading? It is a proven way to improve your musicianship and opens up so
many new roads it's ridiculous.

I have to agree with Bumfrog...this was the same advice given to me,(same scenario) and it worked,..put the bass/basses away and forget them and anything bass related. (for a while anyway, ie: 2 weeks ??) Could ya manage that. ? :)
Its the same for writers and artists etc, (they all come up against that "wall",.. take a break from it, and you will be surprised at how refreshed you feel when you grab that bass again, you will wring its flamin neck. :rolleyes:

Yo

Cheers, some good suggestions - having gone back to the serious electric bass book, I'm back on track and making progress again. Works for me every time, over and above bands, composing, lessons, multi-instruments etc - books - the power of books can't be underestimated.

Only downside is nearly 8 hours of playing today all in and desperate to play more, just right in the zone, but my wrist is throbbing now.

Hate having to stop when I'm in that special bass place!! :)

Time for some anaesthetic refreshments!

Laters, thanks again!