Why become a member? ×

Grossest bass story....... Ever..!

ahpook

good god !!!

i just got my 80's jazz bass out of the case it's been in for the last year or two. it used to be my no. 1 gigging bass until i got my pj. jaysus ! does it stink...pub carpets and 1000 cigarette butts. i mean folks...i smoke and it still kinda turned my stomach to play it.

any tips for getting rid of the smell ?

Indeed, give the case a good hoovering, then sparay it with febreeze or similar, then let it air out for a week or two. Use a good guitar polish to give the bass a really good clean, with the strings off, then leave it on a stand for a similar week or two. Should get rid of most of the pong.

But if [i][b]that[/b][/i] smell made you heave, we had to repair an electro-acoustic, and on asking why it looked so bad inside, were told, "Oh, I got drunk and threw up in it..."
Don't want to have to delve into that sort of 'repair' again any time soon...

Edited by Telebass

My first "big" amp was a Trace 1110 that belonged to "Rock Bitch", the infamous all-girl band. That had been heavily gigged (and more besides, doubtless)
The internal foam wadding looked like a smoker's lungs! I took it out (bleugh!) and replaced it. Maybe I should just have shoved a [i]Magic Tree [/i]in through the port slot and prayed...

Ditto to the above advice, but if the bass still stinks after that you could use a gentle cutting compound to take away any ingrained contaminants. Over on the Rickenbacker forum a lot of people highly recommend Scratch-X, followed by Zymol as a final protective polish. I've just checked eBay.co.uk and they're both available here (buying some myself right now...)

For the case would you believe ordinary newspaper will help remove the stench? I've used this myself - I lined the case base and lid with several flat sheets and then scrunched up some more to fill the gap then left it closed for a couple of weeks. Worked a treat.

Regards,
Steve.

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='71105' date='Oct 8 2007, 04:21 PM']My first "big" amp was a Trace 1110 that belonged to "Rock Bitch", the infamous all-girl band. That had been heavily gigged (and more besides, doubtless)
The internal foam wadding looked like a smoker's lungs! I took it out (bleugh!) and replaced it. Maybe I should just have shoved a [i]Magic Tree [/i]in through the port slot and prayed...[/quote]

When was that? The Bassist had a headless german fretless and a Trace rig (I think) back in 02....when I saw them.

Naff band,and they aint even that fit!

[quote name='Telebass' post='71088' date='Oct 8 2007, 03:45 PM']But if [i][b]that[/b][/i] smell made you heave, we had to repair an electro-acoustic, and on asking why it looked so bad inside, were told, "Oh, I got drunk and threw up in it..."[/quote]

my god,that is just wrong. :)

DJ

My housemate (the her of a couple) told me a hungover morning after that he had got up and apparently intended to take a leak in the corner of the room into his acoustic, and looked pretty grumpy when she shouted at him to stop. My Wishbass smelt decidedly herbal when I got it, and full refinish sorted that.

[quote name='ARGH' post='71145' date='Oct 8 2007, 06:03 PM']When was that? The Bassist had a headless german fretless and a Trace rig (I think) back in 02....when I saw them.

Naff band,and they aint even that fit![/quote]

Let me see... about 12 years ago, so 1995! Maybe they were fit then! I bought the amp in a local (music) shop, then traded it in against my current rig.
I got more in P/X than I paid for it! (Must've been because it smelt so nice by then!)

[quote name='Telebass' post='71088' date='Oct 8 2007, 03:45 PM']Indeed, give the case a good hoovering, then sparay it with febreeze or similar, then let it air out for a week or two.[/quote]

Would Febreeze (or similar) really be safe with a nitro finish?

I'd be very loathe to spray anything into the case... just hoover it out and sponge it off with plenty of clean warm water...

[quote name='wotnwhy' post='71663' date='Oct 9 2007, 04:32 PM']is that why you've got that gas mask on?[/quote]

no - i wear that anyway

:)

a lot of the stink may be due to the case...it smells pretty rank too, so i'll be trying out the newspaper trick tonight !!

many thanks

and keep the gross-out stories coming.

Edited by ahpook

[quote name='rodl2005' post='73125' date='Oct 12 2007, 12:33 AM']can use a carpet de odouriser- like a powder- for the case. Just sprinkle it in & leave it in .[/quote]

"Do the Shake & Vac and put the freshness back, do the Shake & Vac and put the freshness back, when you're carpet smells fresh, your room does too so everytime you vacuum you know just what to do..."

I used to be in a band that covered that jingle! :wacko:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My Ibanez guitar case smelled horrible, stale cigarettes......

I got a bunch of leaves (bay leaves I think), which were pretty fragrant, and stuck them in the case. Left it out open in the sun for a few days, and then closed it up with the leaves in.

As for the guitar, I put loads of lemon oil and fast fret on the fretboard, new strings, cleaned out the hardware. And just left it in my bedroom.