Why become a member? ×

Since 2006 I have mostly been buying...

OutToPlayJazz

Oh dear! I thought I'd do a tot-up of how many basses I've bought in the last three years... Roughly. Scary stuff!

Strangely, before this lot I played one bass almost exclusively for 16 years. Is this BassChat GAS in action...?

Here's the KingBass Artist 5 I bought to replace my ageing 1987 SII...

[u][b]CURRENT[/b][/u] And the Warwick Triumph - One of my better purchases! I still have this and gig it regularly.

Antique Burst Squier Jazz - Bought as cheap backup until the Jazz V arrived, then sold on...

MIM Jazz V - Sold to a pupil...

Status Groove - Bought from Dub Junkie. Nice bass, but I hated the colour! Sold on.

Squier Vintage Modified Jazz. Not bad at all, but traded it in px for my Corvette $$...

Jackson CMG Concert Bass - Bought for a song & also traded against my Corvette $$...

Corvette $$ - This was a great bass. Sold on to a pupil to help fund another Status.

To be continued...

Edited by OutToPlayJazz

Here's my Ibanez SRX 705. Bought new for next to nothing, as it had sat in the store for so long... Sold at a nice profit to a guy in London on ebay :)

Hofner Contemporary Series Violin Bass - This was seriously cool, especially with the Jazz Bass 77 flats on it. Strangely only used in anger once or twice...

CIJ Geddy Lee Jazz - Loved this to bits, but never got on with the rubberised neck - It would need truss rod adjustment in every single weather change. Useless!

Yamaha TRB-6 II - Should never have sold this one. Played it on a lot of jazz jobs and shows for about two years until my cocobolo Status 5 appeared...

[u][b]CURRENT[/b][/u] My main player and no.1 bass - Status S2-Classic in walnut/mahogany. I bought this as a stock bass direct from Status just as it was coming through final production and it's still perfect & my main bass. Sounds biblical! This instrument replaced my KingBass 5 which was bought by Ian.

My second attempt at a Kingbass - Ordered soon after I got the walnut S2, it was meant to be the twin sister, but I never played it. Sent to the USA late 2008.

The "BassChat Status Whore" - This Energy Artist 5 was a lovely thing, but after only owning it for a few days, someone in Europe offered me a seriously inflated price for it. Okay! :rolleyes:

1990 Status SII - Bought this stunner from TerryK & had a full Status service, preamp change & setup done on it. It then sat in it's case until I sold it on this year.

The second best Jazz bass I've ever played... This S1 American model was the last of the changeover basses before the new Am.Std. Rolled neck edges and hipshot tuners. Sold on to buy the 1990 Status above...

CIJ Marcus Miller Jazz - Loved this, especially played passively through the Sadowsky pre. - Double traded for a lovely Status S2 5er.

And there's more...

Edited by OutToPlayJazz

The other part of the "double trade" was my 08 American Standard Precision. Lovely bass, but not for me...

[u][b]CURRENT[/b][/u] The result of said double trade... An as new cocobolo/phenowood board S2 5er. This one gets played a lot and definintely earns it's keep...

2006 MIM Precision - Bought from my mate Nick & traded for...

Another Corvette $$, somehow never as good as the original one I had... Sold on...

[u][b]CURRENT[/b][/u] Miss Myrtle - Said by many to be the most beautiful Status S2 on the planet...

My first Streamline, now owned by MartTheBass. A very early production Streamline (No.006), this is an amazing bass, but I had the opportunity to get a newer one with white LED's...

[u][b]CURRENT[/b][/u] Streamline "version 1.2", production no.30 - Lovely bass and one of my main players. Sounds amazing & looks stunning!

Groove 5 in Wine Red - Bought for a song in London, kept for a while and sold to Mewsie...

Nearly there...

Edited by OutToPlayJazz

OLP MM22 - Bought as a dust covered curio at Electro & sold on to a young lady in London. Started my EBMM GAS...

[u][b]CURRENT[/b][/u] My stunning 09 American Standard Jazz - Usually played through a Sadowsky preamp, this is the best Jazz I've ever played...

ACG Harlot R-type - Really liked this bass, but not what I'm looking for in a wooden 5-string - Now sold on...

Squier Classic Vibe 50's P... Nice bass, but traded against the 60's Jazz version...

G&L Tribute L2000 - Bought from GreeneKing in mint condition, furthering my EBMM GAS - Sold onto MB1.

Squier Classic Vibe 60's Jazz - Lovely instrument but sold on in the last couple of weeks towards another Status that didn't transpire...

SBMM Ray 34 - This was really, really good in every way. Two real Rays caused it's demise...

CIJ 75 Reissue Jazz - A bit of a project, this one. Gradually adding and changing bits to make the ultimate classic Jazz bass... Now gone via Brother DOTB to it's previous owner.

[b]CURRENT[/b] 2000 MUSIC MAN Stingray Piezo. This has had the neck refinished professionally by a luthier and now has a lovely satin lacquer finish.

[b]CURRENT[/b] 2007/8 MUSIC MAN Stingray 5.

[i][b]I wonder what's next...?[/b][/i]

Edited by OutToPlayJazz

[quote name='funkypenguin' post='648335' date='Nov 7 2009, 08:08 PM']good lord mate, you really have been through alot of gear!!! the myrtlewood S2 really is gorgeous :) does it have the walnut tone block i seem to remember you waxing lyrical about?

you still considering getting a replacement for your TRB6?[/quote]

Hi mate, yes the Myrtlewood S2 does have the tone block :rolleyes: It's one of the best sounding S2's I've heard. Quite polite compared to the maple topped ones I've played, but still has all of the Status sounds you want it to have. In short it's an amazing bass.

I looked at a Status 6 recently on approval, but I still haven't found anything to replace the Yamaha with. That's a long term project, or another Yamaha!

Rich.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='648339' date='Nov 7 2009, 08:13 PM']Hi mate, yes the Myrtlewood S2 does have the tone block :) It's one of the best sounding S2's I've heard. Quite polite compared to the maple topped ones I've played, but still has all of the Status sounds you want it to have. In short it's an amazing bass.

I looked at a Status 6 recently on approval, but I still haven't found anything to replace the Yamaha with. That's a long term project, or another Yamaha!

Rich.[/quote]

id love to have a noodle on her. closest ive come to an S2 was a modulus quantum i had a look at a few months back.

i looked at the TRB6 when i first switched to 6 strings. lovely piece of kit! also tried the patitucci signature model, and i really liked that, apart from the size of the heel. similar problem on the RBXJM2 ive got in my (modest :rolleyes: ) collection at the moment

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='648559' date='Nov 8 2009, 09:24 AM']The interesting thing is that my pupils always have a good choice of reasonably priced, well set up basses to choose from, LOL![/quote]
I've heard a lot of excuses in my time and that's one of them. :)

Heh! 'Tis quite true, Graham. Anything at the cheaper end of the market is offered around pupils before I trade or sell it.

I actually sat down and figured out the numbers last night & I've done very well all in all...

Current collection is worth around £12k (excluding the cellos and double basses!)
They only cost me £9.3k.

Overall on all of the deals I've done I've made something like £1990 with a loss of £1370. So I'm a used Stingray in profit at the moment, LOL!

Not bad in almost four years of deals/trading.

Edited by OutToPlayJazz

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='648589' date='Nov 8 2009, 10:18 AM']Heh! 'Tis quite true, Graham. Anything at the cheaper end of the market is offered around pupils before I trade or sell it.

I actually sat down and figured out the numbers last night & I've done very well all in all...

Current collection is worth around £12k (excluding the cellos and double basses!)
They only cost me £9.3k.

Overall on all of the deals I've done I've made something like £1990 with a loss of £1370. So I'm a used Stingray in profit at the moment, LOL!

Not bad in almost four years of deals/trading.[/quote]

I did a similar exercise a few months back, and found that, over the course of buying and selling about 100 basses and guitars over 10 years, within a few pounds, I had broken even! When you take into account postage costs though, I was way down on the deals.............

Bob