Why become a member? ×

To Futher My 3yr Run Of Bad Luck

phil_the_bassist

[quote name='phil_the_bassist' post='639134' date='Oct 28 2009, 03:15 PM']just looked at some of those guitar holders....fecking hell are they expensive!! :)

The backpack straps are [i]slightly[/i] better than a standard strap, but still screw me up. I'll probably try to adapt some drum hardware to hold my bass, or something :rolleyes:[/quote]

you don't seem keen on the chair idea. Just wondering why not, it's the perfect solution really and wouldn't cost much.

[quote name='bumfrog' post='639181' date='Oct 28 2009, 03:53 PM']you don't seem keen on the chair idea. Just wondering why not, it's the perfect solution really and wouldn't cost much.[/quote]

Steve Lawson uses a drum stool with the padded back - looks pretty cool

[quote name='Paul_C' post='639186' date='Oct 28 2009, 03:59 PM']Steve Lawson uses a drum stool with the padded back - looks pretty cool

[/quote]

thats true...I dunno, I just don't wanna have to deal with the questions that will arrise with any of these situations...it's hard enough to cope with, without having to go into it all! lol!

The comfy drum throne sounds like a good plan, but can I get away with it at a rock/mod gig..?

[quote name='phil_the_bassist' post='639241' date='Oct 28 2009, 05:07 PM']thats true...I dunno, I just don't wanna have to deal with the questions that will arrise with any of these situations...it's hard enough to cope with, without having to go into it all! lol!

The comfy drum throne sounds like a good plan, but can I get away with it at a rock/mod gig..?[/quote]

You could wear a really long coat and hide the stool under it and pretend you're short and fat (like me)

Steve how has a guitar mounted on a stand which is connected to a steel guitar on a dolly - watch a video of Siberian Khatru to see what I;m on about, so you could be onto something with the drum hardware thingy - something sturdy enough to hold a bass while you play. maybe something that would screw into the existing strap button holes to save carving up a perfectly good bass

+1 for the stool. I know people who play sitting down for similar reasons - maybe a higher stool, like bar stool height would make you feel a bit better about playing sat down, as your head and shoulders would be at a similar height to what they'd be at if you were standing.

IME, people are often quite understanding about things like this - it's not like you'd be sitting down out of laziness!

[quote name='AdamWoodBass' post='638870' date='Oct 28 2009, 11:37 AM']Actually I heard James Jamerson used to lay on the floor in the studio![/quote]
According to Standing In The Shadows, he recorded "Whats Goin On" horizontal, one of my favourite motown bass lines

Sorry that you've had another set back and I hope you find a way through to keep playing. I don't know about others but I've never found playing on a stool to be all that comfortable for long.

Hey Phil, Colin the fat bastid here. Now I'm pretty seriously overweight and standing up and playing gives me some serious back jip! Now losing weight is an option for me but in the mean time I just said to my band that sometimes in the set I just have to sit down, take it or leave it. They were perfectly fine with it. I got a drum stool that goes up pretty high so I'm not so much sitting on than leaning on (a bar stool might work here) and my Status 5 hardly feels like it's on with a wide comfort strap to help. Different problems I know but I'm sure with a bit of experimentation you can work something out.
Good luck to ya,
C.

Thinking about a waist strap/harness, find a local leather bag maker and talk to them.

You'll find them at craft fairs if you want to talk in person. I'd be amazed f you didn't find those folks very helpful and full of ideas. They'd knock up some experimental rigs for you to try out, I expect, before you'd have to order the finished article.

Worth a try.

fatback