Why become a member? ×

Suggestions for a super loud small cab

Jase

Ello,

Sick to the back teeth of fighting with an 8x10, I really love using it but it's just doing my head in. Could anybody suggest a thumpingly loud cab but really small, light and something I can leave the car seats up with, take in the house after a gig, not stub my toes on it in the morning(when I eventually do drag it out of the car!) Any ideas would be just super :)

[quote name='Jase' post='636932' date='Oct 26 2009, 03:37 PM']...thumpingly loud cab but really small, light and something I can leave the car seats up with, take in the house after a gig, not stub my toes on it in the morning(when I eventually do drag it out of the car!)...[/quote]

That sounds like my [url="http://barefacedbass.com/index.php?page=compact"]Barefacedbass Compact[/url].

S.P.

[quote name='Stylon Pilson' post='636937' date='Oct 26 2009, 02:40 PM']That sounds like my [url="http://barefacedbass.com/index.php?page=compact"]Barefacedbass Compact[/url].

S.P.[/quote]

Cheers S.P.

Just checking out the Barefaced stuff now!

[quote name='Jase' post='636932' date='Oct 26 2009, 02:37 PM']Ello,

Sick to the back teeth of fighting with an 8x10, I really love using it but it's just doing my head in. Could anybody suggest a thumpingly loud cab but really small, light and something I can leave the car seats up with, take in the house after a gig, not stub my toes on it in the morning(when I eventually do drag it out of the car!) Any ideas would be just super :)[/quote]
I am a 50 year old wimp with a bad back and I can lift my Barefaced compact over my head with one hand (and I do it just because I can) I used to use an Eden 210XLT the compact is significantly louder and goes significantly deeper than my Eden. Add a midget to the mix and I reckon you got a full blown stack that you can pick and run with (maybe its raining ....I dont know) and a bargain at the price (I should have gone into sales)
Barefaced Compact :rolleyes: :lol: :lol:

This thread makes me want one...

DIMENSIONS 25.5" high x 19.5" wide x 13.5" deep
WEIGHT 32 lbs
SENSITIVITY Similar to many 2x12" cabs
FREQUENCY RESPONSE Similar to the classic sealed 8x10" fridge
RECOMMENDED AMP POWER 100 - 500W RMS
MAXIMUM OUTPUT Similar to a quality 2x12" or 3x10" cabinet
NOMINAL IMPEDANCE 8 ohms
PRICE £450

[quote name='Jase' post='636998' date='Oct 26 2009, 03:51 PM']The Barefaced gear looks really good.....are they really that light?[/quote]

The compact is ridiculously light. I had a chuckle carrying the nomad onein past the band loading out a peavey 1x15 between two of them, whilst I unlocked the door with a 1x15 in my other hand. Also, it was at the top of a few stairs into our flat, when Joe tried to pick it up to sneakily blow it up before I got a chance to try it, he fell backward down the stairs as he expected rather more resistance to lifting.

[quote name='BassBen' post='637010' date='Oct 26 2009, 04:05 PM']£450 is alot for 1x15 bass cab.

Anyone gigging one of these in a loud metal band? How does it cope? What head are you running?

Cheers,

Ben[/quote]

I'm thinking about a cab change for the covers band....loud classic rock type stuff. LH500 at the moment.

[quote name='BassBen' post='637010' date='Oct 26 2009, 04:05 PM']£450 is alot for 1x15 bass cab.[/quote]

Not really, just depends what you're comparing them to, of course a Peavey or Ashdown MAG are going to be much cheaper, but just a quick search online and I can see EBS is £649, Mark Bass is £695, Aguilar is £599, etc.

Edited by RussFM

[quote name='RussFM' post='637026' date='Oct 26 2009, 04:20 PM']Not really, just depends what you're comparing them to, of course a Peavey or Ashdown MAG are going to be much cheaper, but just a quick search online and I can see EBS is £649, Mark Bass is £695, Aguilar is £599, etc.[/quote]

I am really thinking about buying one of these and and markbass head.

I am currently running a peavey firebass and trace elliot 4x10. Its only running at about 270watts but I do love the sound. I am looking for a light weight rig that can handle a 5 string bass and enough volume too cut though the mix.

[quote name='danthewelshy' post='637030' date='Oct 26 2009, 04:22 PM']Im sure i've seen quite a few people saying they have had good results with pairing the LH series and a compact.[/quote]

Alright there Dan! Yeah, I reckon they'd sound a bit good too.

[quote name='BassBen' post='636973' date='Oct 26 2009, 03:25 PM']How many people on here are using these barefaced cabs and anyone using them with Markbass little11?

This is the first time I have heard of them.[/quote]

I use the Compact with an LM3. It's astonishingly loud compared to cabs I've owned before, although neither of my bands play at high volume so how it would cope in a metal band on it's own I can't say.

[quote name='BassBen' post='637045' date='Oct 26 2009, 04:35 PM']I am really thinking about buying one of these and and markbass head.

I am currently running a peavey firebass and trace elliot 4x10. Its only running at about 270watts but I do love the sound. I am looking for a light weight rig that can handle a 5 string bass and enough volume too cut though the mix.[/quote]

If you're playing a 5-string in a metal band, you should check out the Big One. I've played a range of low B's through mine (mainly 34" but also 35" and a 37" Dingwall) and it sounds truly excellent. Not knocking the Compact (which I've not played through), just saying that the Big One is probably nearer your target.

I'm in a 5-piece classic rock covers band (2 guitars, keys, drums + bass) and we play pretty loud without being mental. I'm running through an Eden WTX500 which is capable of putting out around 300W into an 8-Ohm cab. The highest I've ever taken it so far is Gain at 12:00 and Volume at 2:00 ... I reckon that's roughly half my maximum output and it was enough to have the lead guitarist screeching at me to turn down.

For my next trick, I'm going to try pairing my Big One with my new Midget. I'll have the St. John's Ambulance on stand-by ...

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='637096' date='Oct 26 2009, 06:25 PM']For my next trick, I'm going to try pairing my Big One with my new Midget. I'll have the St. John's Ambulance on stand-by ...[/quote]

:) :rolleyes:

[quote name='RussFM' post='637026' date='Oct 26 2009, 04:20 PM']Not really, just depends what you're comparing them to, of course a Peavey or Ashdown MAG are going to be much cheaper, but just a quick search online and I can see EBS is £649, Mark Bass is £695, Aguilar is £599, etc.[/quote]

I doubt that is a fair comparison as the latter are Name companies with R&D and retail overheads. If you are paying a price direct, then that ads up to a lot of money for a 15" and you really need to see quailty in terms of sound and manufacture then.

As with all these things. you need to see and hear what you want to play in context....

[quote name='JTUK' post='637588' date='Oct 27 2009, 08:11 AM']I doubt that is a fair comparison as the latter are Name companies with R&D and retail overheads. If you are paying a price direct, then that ads up to a lot of money for a 15" and you really need to see quailty in terms of sound and manufacture then.[/quote]

That's a very good point regarding the retail overheads (though I could argue my R&D overheads are greater having seen how some cabs are 'designed' :) ). If you take a Compact and a competing 1x15" apart you'll soon see where the extra cost goes, not least of which is in the driver itself.

[quote name='JTUK' post='637588' date='Oct 27 2009, 08:11 AM']As with all these things. you need to see and hear what you want to play in context...[/quote]

I totally agree, hence the free trial. What music shop gives you the chance to play loud against a drummer and guitarist so you know how a cab really performs? There are plenty of bass cabs that sound very nice at shop SPL but how many smaller cabs can maintain that tone as SPL increases?

Alex

Edited by alexclaber

It might be worth looking at Bill Fitzmaurice's Jack series if you can handle a self build and cost is an issue. They're very efficient cabs and work out cheap enough for the drivers and materials.

There's lots of threads about his older Omnis if you do a search.

[quote name='alexclaber' post='637590' date='Oct 27 2009, 08:19 AM']That's a very good point regarding the retail overheads (though I could argue my R&D overheads are greater having seen how some cabs are 'designed' :) ). If you take a Compact and a competing 1x15" apart you'll soon see where the extra cost goes, not least of which is in the driver itself.

I totally agree, hence the free trial. What music shop gives you the chance to play loud against a drummer and guitarist so you know how a cab really performs? There are plenty of bass cabs that sound very nice at shop SPL but how many smaller cabs can maintain that tone as SPL increases?

Alex[/quote]

I agree that the your trials are very good demos for people intetested in your cabs.. and not something that many shops/makers can offer or match.

but.... SPL isn't everything...

FWIW, I think your offer/demo/free trial is more than generous but it suits you to get these cabs out there and heard, of course..as it would with any new product.