Why become a member? ×

musicman basses

marcus bell

right ive now got all my sounds covered:
jaydee: a top class all rounder and perfect for my soloing stuff and slap obviously.
My status: even more soloing and not bad for all rounding a bit thin though.
Precision: does what it says on the tin, from forget me nots to funeral pyre, its there.
Fretless jazz: lovely sounding instrument and all the fretless ill ever need. Jaco included! :)
soon ill have a fretted jazz: this will be my go to instrument and is great for everything. Marcus is my name right :lol:

so just when i thought i had it all down i now want a musicman, for those chic moments and for some brothers johnson too.
My choice is musicmans is simple, the cheaper the better so im thinking a second hand sub would fit this bill nicely, a change of pickguard and wahey! They look great. However by the time i get one which will be in a few months yet, im saving for a laptop, the tc electronic desktop interface and some studio monitors this will allow me to get some stuff recorded :rolleyes:
im quite interested in the sterlings too. How much do they go for second hand? And also them new ones look quite nice.

Quite interested to hear your thoughts on this people.
Thanks
marcus

Hi Marcus, I've owned a Jaydee MK and it was great apart from the rubbish neck. I now own a Status S2 Classic, a Fender Jazz, a Korean Squier P bass and a 1980 Musicman Stingray. They are all good basses but for me the Stingray just feels and sounds better and the low end is unreal, add a little treble sizzle and I'm happy.

A second hand SUB will fit the bill very nicely methinks.
They are superb basses in every way,and mine sounds identical to a Stingray. Some people actually prefer the black painted
neck finish to the oiled one on the Ray - I like both!
They seem to usually go for around the £350 mark, so whack a Ray plate on it and job done.

Just sold my MM USA Sterling for £650. Was a beauty too,just didn't personally like the slimmer neck profile. There's a sunburst one on ebay at the moment for a buy it now price of £650 also, which I still think is a good price for such a well made and versatile bass.

Have n't yet tried the new Sterling by MM model, but there's a couple of current threads discussing these.

[quote name='marcus bell' post='635295' date='Oct 24 2009, 02:09 PM']it looks like the sub is the way forward. I mean theres not much stopping me mod it too. E.g status-graphite neck and east preamp or similar....x[/quote]

Dont think you'll need to update anything apart from the plate - try one and you'll see!

I like mine well enough to have used it for the last 20 years. I think there's only me on here who's happy with one sound though :) .

Played P's for years, got the Stingray sold the P's. Not sure I'd want to tinker with the electronics as has been said above, surely Leo did a fair bit of R&D to get it right ?

[quote name='Les' post='635532' date='Oct 24 2009, 07:34 PM']I like mine well enough to have used it for the last 20 years. I think there's only me on here who's happy with one sound though :) .

Played P's for years, got the Stingray sold the P's. Not sure I'd want to tinker with the electronics as has been said above, surely Leo did a fair bit of R&D to get it right ?[/quote]

ah yes, and that he did....but when ones preamp shits itself, and EBMM are not interested in repairing, replacing or even looking at said shatted component, I found that Mr East's fine bundle of wires and circuits gives the bass all the joyousness of a Stingray, but with some added perks :rolleyes:

[quote name='phil_the_bassist' post='635537' date='Oct 24 2009, 07:43 PM']ah yes, and that he did....but when ones preamp shits itself, and EBMM are not interested in repairing, replacing or even looking at said shatted component, I found that Mr East's fine bundle of wires and circuits gives the bass all the joyousness of a Stingray, but with some added perks :)[/quote]

Ah, never had a problem or dealt with EB. Mines pre EB, don't know what I'd do if the electrickery buggered up. Does it happen often ? :rolleyes:

I don't know for sure but I would imagine it won't play passively to get you through the night?

Edited by Les

I'm a very recent convert into the world of Stingray's, and I must admit, I'm loving it :wub:

It took a little bit of getting used to, as I am used to Ric's, and Gibson's. The one I coughed up for is the 30th Anniversary model, with the Mahogany body, and the gloss neck. The build quality is superb. Everything oozes quality. The 3 band EQ on mine delivers anything from ear splitting sizzling highs, right down to serious low end bass.

If I was to be seriously critical, the frets weren't quite perfect on mine, but I do run with a seriously low action, so most people probably wouldn't have even noticed. It's quite a weighty beast too, but that maybe down to the body??

Big thumbs up from me, anyway :)

a second hand SUB would be a very nice purchase indeed, but don't rule out some other basses just yet. If you don't have to have the typical musicman neck and looks, then i would HIGHLY reccommend a warwick corvette $$ over a musicman. They can nail the musicman sound, but can also be WAY more ballsy, and with the extra pickup, active/passive switch and coil tap switches, there are loads more tonal options, and i find the body and neck much more comfortable.

[quote name='phil_the_bassist' post='635537' date='Oct 24 2009, 07:43 PM']ah yes, and that he did....but when ones preamp shits itself, and EBMM are not interested in repairing, replacing or even looking at said shatted component, I found that Mr East's fine bundle of wires and circuits gives the bass all the joyousness of a Stingray, but with some added perks :)[/quote]

That's just [i]such[/i] a perfectly rounded single sentence post. Kudos.

I just love mine it's perfectly balanced and plays like a dream.

I currently have to play an SG bass every gig for our Free tribute act, it's pretty awful to play and totally unbalanced but it looks correct and makes the right sounds for the material we are doing.

Sadly the Musicman just sits in its case but I will never get rid of it.

[attachment=35083:P3210008.JPG]

I agree with everyone that SUBs are great (I totally loved mine) but to be honest SUBs and 'rays don't sound the same. :rolleyes:
Granted it is close :) but the fact the the pups are wired differently is a big factor. Stingray pups are wired in parallel while Sterlings and SUBs are series.

The one on the left is from my 'ray the other from a my S.U.B.

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='635688' date='Oct 24 2009, 10:34 PM']That's just [i]such[/i] a perfectly rounded single sentence post. Kudos.[/quote]

Eye thang kew! I do try ^_^!

[quote name='steve-soar' post='635695' date='Oct 24 2009, 10:40 PM']What caused the villi in your preamps colon to stand erect and thus cause said shittage?[/quote]

i havent the foggiest! It just, one day, went *Crackle*fade*pluh!* and it never cleaned up its mess! I've got no need for it ant more, did you want it? :)

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='635754' date='Oct 24 2009, 10:47 PM']I agree with everyone that SUBs are great (I totally loved mine) but to be honest SUBs and 'rays don't sound the same. :rolleyes:
Granted it is close :) but the fact the the pups are wired differently is a big factor. Stingray pups are wired in parallel while Sterlings and SUBs are series.

The one on the left is from my 'ray the other from a my S.U.B.

[/quote]

I agree that SUBs and Rays don't sound exactly the same. That's why I sold my Ray and kept my SUB!

I have a 3 band EQ 2006 Stingray and a 1989 3 band Stingray Fretless - They are both gorgeous. Only problem I've had is a lacking G string when playing live. Swapped out the pickup in the 06 fretted for a Nordstrand 4.2 and been happy ever since. Didn't try the fretless live before making the swap, but decided to put one in anyway as I reasoned that it probably wouldn't sound any worse than the original, even if there wasn't a problem in the first place :)

Edited by Higgie