Why become a member? ×

Fender Precision Fretless

WonderHorse

They're *fairly* rare, because they weren't very popular.

MIJ & 70s MIA fretless Ps pop up on eBay every now and then.

It's strange that Fender took so long to cotton on and release a fretless J.. it would have given the Jaco crowd what they were looking for.

That said, I love the sound of a fretless P. If you don't want to sound like Jaco, it's a great great tone... which suggests Fender, IMO, were right in the first place. :)

Definitely not as common as f/less Jazzes, which is a shame as the plummy "P" sound is [b]so[/b] suited to it. Only Sting and Tony Frankin I can really recall as players (did Pino move from fretless Stingray to fretted P?)

Mine still available BTW ( [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=54801&hl=73"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=54801&hl=73[/url] ), although it's returned to the back-line recently! Must try some flats one of these days...... :)

[quote name='Shaggy' post='631426' date='Oct 20 2009, 03:31 PM']Mine still available BTW ( [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=54801&hl=73"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=54801&hl=73[/url] )[/quote]
Love the look of your fretless Shaggy, just wish I could play fretless well enough to justify buying it from you! Looks just like Essential Tension/Dave's beautiful Tony Franklin only with a bit of added mojo. Can't understand why its still available :)

[quote name='WonderHorse' post='631404' date='Oct 20 2009, 03:08 PM']Nothing like gloating is there!

Do you have any sound clips?[/quote]
I hope Beedster doesn't mind if I pile in with my usual suspects, too... :)

The original rosewood neck, since retired and replaced an ebony copy:

Folky stuff, but a good desk recording which really lets it shine:

How it cuts through in a busy band mix:

...and the second half of this clip, through a Barefaced Vintage. Mmmmmm:

[quote name='Clarky' post='631436' date='Oct 20 2009, 03:44 PM']Love the look of your fretless Shaggy, just wish I could play fretless well enough to justify buying it from you! Looks just like Essential Tension/Dave's beautiful Tony Franklin only with a bit of added mojo. Can't understand why its still available :)[/quote]
The TF will be mojo'd eventually I expect.

I also can't understand why Shaggy's is still not sold.

Agreed to all above, the fretless P tone is it - much nicer than either J pickup. If the Ebay thing doesn't work out you could always go the Jaco route and defret one. I ended up making a fretless ebony neck for mine which sang much better than the original fretted maple. If you can find a maple fretless though (and have the dosh for one), there's nothing quite as nice.

Here is mine.....

img[attachment=34868:fmpb1.jpg]/img

This one sings as well - what is it with those maple fingerboards - the coating ?

Would like to get a rosewood fingerboard fretless P-bass to keep her company one day.

I always associate fretless P-bass with Percy Jones - Early Brand X - Unorthodox Behaviour, Morrocan Roll or Livestock or with Brian Eno - Another Green World.

Gotta have a bit of Percy to cheer you up !

:)