Why become a member? ×

Has anyone bought a Fender Road Worn bass yet?

OutToPlayJazz

Is it only me that see's the irony here.

Which basses have pretty much the poorest finish that wears through more readily than on other makes?

So they make it a feature and charge more for it.

Very clever :)

Don't get me wrong I love my Fender, I'm not anti for the sake of it but really, we do get sucked into the hype don't we.

Edited by GreeneKing

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='631311' date='Oct 20 2009, 01:37 PM']Is it only me that see's the irony here.

Which basses have pretty much the poorest finish that wears through more readily than on other makes?

So they make it a feature and charge more for it.

Very clever :rolleyes:

Don't get me wrong I love my Fender, I'm not anti for the sake of it but really, we do get sucked into the hype don't we.[/quote]

Totally disagree with that!

It's not rocket science - people want them, so there's a market, and they are more expensive to produce.

To put it another way - some people grow out of 'new, shiny, shiny, new' at about age 3, and go for something with more character :)

[quote name='Golchen' post='631425' date='Oct 20 2009, 03:31 PM']Totally disagree with that!

It's not rocket science - people want them, so there's a market, and they are more expensive to produce.

To put it another way - some people grow out of 'new, shiny, shiny, new' at about age 3, and go for something with more character :)[/quote]

Depends on how well you looked after your toys as a child :rolleyes:

I didn't start this thread for the old relic'd vs shiny and new argument. I just wondered if anyone had played or owned one of these basses, that's all. I love the sound of them & may consider one in the future. May take a while to get all those scratches out and to get the chrome to shine again, though! :lol:

I came close, i really did...
Maybe i'll catch a road worn roadworn on the used market in a few years.
I like them, but i can see why people don't.
I really don't see why some people are so 'offended' by them, or relics.
I personally don't like mushrooms, so i don't buy them, or eat them. Simple.
K

[quote name='Golchen' post='631425' date='Oct 20 2009, 03:31 PM']Totally disagree with that!

To put it another way - some people grow out of 'new, shiny, shiny, new' at about age 3, and go for something with more character :)[/quote]

Ahh, someone possibly sucked into the hype?

So, I should have grown out of disliking 'relic'd basses at the age of 3.

How very immature of me then :lol:

Seriously, if you have a genuine 'Road Worn' (look at the hype in that name) bass that you've past experience with, been through a lot together, couldn't bear part with, then I understand completely because of the bonding that takes place during this process. Bonding with something genuine, used, something you know every nook and crevice of.

But, take a new bass, rough it up a bit, charge more for it, where's the bonding process in that? Paying over the odds for damaged goods?

Each to their own but don't expect me to agree when you say it makes any sense other than clever marketing.

Apologies for the thread sabotage Rich. If they are as good as my P then I'd get one if I could justify the re-fin :rolleyes:

Peter

Edited by GreeneKing

[quote name='lojo' post='631483' date='Oct 20 2009, 04:27 PM']Does anyone with a "new" road worn bass worry about chipping or scratching it?[/quote]

That's a big plus! I have a knackered (relic'd) old strat that I leave out all the time with my 4 kids charging about, but as for my PRS and my Fender custom bass - no one is even allowed to see them in daylight!

[Note: apologies for the guitar mentions - it won't happen again!]

The problem I'd have with these is the price. For the money, you could get a hand made, nitro-finished, selected wood, built the old school way by a master (if that matters to you) Bacchus Woodline J and some change.

If you're worried about dinking an unblemished bass, yet you'd pay someone to take a belt sander to one... well, I just can't think of anything to say about that :)

Edited by Doctor J

[quote name='Duarte' post='630950' date='Oct 19 2009, 11:32 PM']I really don't understand why someone would buy a bass that has been beaten up a bit, considering they cost more and don't look genuine. I just don't see it...[/quote]

+1, took a look at one last week and just thought - why would I want something that was new but looked "designer" worn. I may as well buy second hand and get a unique worn look and probably cheaper :-)

EDIT: Sorry came into this thread late, I see we've been down this discussion root already, so please ignore my comment :-)

Edited by purpleblob

[quote name='Doctor J' post='632084' date='Oct 21 2009, 08:34 AM']The problem I'd have with these is the price. For the money, you could get a hand made, nitro-finished, selected wood, built the old school way by a master (if that matters to you) Bacchus Woodline J and some change.

If you're worried about dinking an unblemished bass, yet you'd pay someone to take a belt sander to one... well, I just can't think of anything to say about that :)[/quote]

A hand built bass for £800, really? Why am I the last to find about these things?

[quote name='ezbass' post='632177' date='Oct 21 2009, 10:38 AM']A hand built bass for £800, really? Why am I the last to find about these things?[/quote]
Yup, the Woodline J Classics sell on Japanese sites for between US$900-$1000. Even with shipping and taxes you should come in nicely under £800. This second hand P Classic is on [url="http://www.ishibashi.co.jp/u_box"]http://www.ishibashi.co.jp/u_box[/url] for Y50,000 excluding shipping and taxes, that's about 330 of your Queen pounds, I believe. Shouldn't be more than £500 or so all in. I have one of them, it's a work of art. The exchange rate makes buying from Japan just superb value at the moment.

Derailed the thread slightly, sorry.

Edited by Doctor J

Roadworns are really good. I've played a fair few as i work in a bass shop they have varied as to how good they are, but we've had asome absolute crackers in! especially the 50s P bass, superb tone for the money!

they are all template relic'd though so they all generally look the same which is the only downside, but you can always add to it.

wes

ive got the Red Jazz with rosewood board..and i love it...

its weighted fantastically,sounds incredible and plays like a dream..
i guess its all down to preferences but this bass was a player straight off the stand..didnt need it setting up at all..threw my strings on and off i went...

its given me some confidence back in the Fender name..

still wouldnt swap a Lakland for it tho! ;-)

excuse the dodgy pic uploaded but its the only one with the Roadworn bass...

[quote name='Doctor J' post='632214' date='Oct 21 2009, 11:14 AM']Yup, the Woodline J Classics sell on Japanese sites for between US$900-$1000. Even with shipping and taxes you should come in nicely under £800. This second hand P Classic is on [url="http://www.ishibashi.co.jp/u_box"]http://www.ishibashi.co.jp/u_box[/url] for Y50,000 excluding shipping and taxes, that's about 330 of your Queen pounds, I believe. Shouldn't be more than £500 or so all in. I have one of them, it's a work of art. The exchange rate makes buying from Japan just superb value at the moment.
Derailed the thread slightly, sorry.[/quote]
Apologies for de-railing further but I looked on the Ishibashi page at Bacchus basses for sales and discovered that they make a bass called Brian! Yep, its says "Brian by Bacchus" on the headstock

Was there ever a dumber name for a bass (and one that is so out of the Monty Python book)? :)