Why become a member? ×

WIRELESS UNITS SUCK!

TGEvans

I use the Samson bass specifc bug and never had a problem tbh. If I use it at home in headphones I can hear hiss but it's fine in a more usual live situation. I'd like a more expensive unt but I love the practicality of the receiver sitting on my pedal board. Just one lead running back to my amp.

I used one on a tour...Sennheiser I think. Was fine for two shows, then it started playing up, dropping out etc on the 3rd show. One failure means back to cables in my book, can't afford to have unnecessary issues like that.

Si

I've been using wireless systems for the last 20-odd years. First was a cheap 'n' nasty single diversity thing from JHS.
But not having that trailing lead around my feet really appealed to me, plus I like to move around the stage when and where possible.
This led to my then purchasing a NADY 201 system which served me with no real problems for the next 15 years or so.
I'm currently using a db system -- cheaper than the Nady but, again, works fine for me - apart from when I was doing a function
in a large hotel and another party taking place in another suite complained my bass was coming through their DJ's speakers!
Not entirely sure, but we suspected it might have been the hotel's own wireless Tannoy system switched on in both suites picking up my frequency. Who knew? :)

never had any probs. I was in a 5 piece for 2 years and we were all using RF's (cept the drummer of course) and noone ever had probs with crosstalk or interference, and we never even bothered to check which channel numbers we were using or anything (must have just been lucky with that one though :)).

I always take a cable and stick it on the amp in case of emergencies, but i'd never go back to playing wired. It's much more fun to run about like a loon :rolleyes:

I use an AKG wireless all the time - it has switchable frequencies so on the very rare chance of interference from something else a quick flick of a switch sorts it out. I move about alot on stage and it really does free you up - just a pity the guitarists in the band won't go wireless too! Some units do affect your sound, but my doesn't seem to have any issues like that at all.

Like others have mentioned I always have a cable handy just in case but have never had to use it... (oh and i've got a OBBM cable from transmitter to bass!!)

peace

c

I have an AKG bug wireless system and it hasn't let me down yet and it's played lots of gigs, just waiting on my X2 being delivered as they are supposed to be even better/less colouration although to be honest I havent noticed that much with the AKG.

I always have cables but if I leave the singer to do the soundcheck I am always too quiet

Started using a Samson plug in bug transmitter when I got into using midi bass pedals in a couple of bands, the normal lead always seemed to be getting stuck under a pedal and generally in the way. Never had any problems with the Samson unit except once at a works do when it mysteriously picked up the University's home grown radio station that must have been transmitting on a very odd frequency.

Wireless for 20 years too..

Currently I use a Sennheiser EW172. Thousands of different frequencies available (most of them illegal now) and no drop off of signal or quality.

The OP bands were probably all using legal licence free systems. (hey, I'm more punk than them :) )
We have 4 Sennheiser cheapo vocal mics and a bug guitar system that use those frequencies too. We can't use all 5 at once as the legal frequency band is so narrow something always messes with something else....

Why use them at all? Well we mix with the audience, I sound check and deliver our trademark Jelly Baby awards to the punters and I go walk about on the stage for off mic chats with the other front man ... even on small stages ...
He;s down in teh punters a lot with his instruments and vocal mic .. We just couldn't do it the same way if we all had to stay on the stage....

It takes no time to set up as it's in my rack and all wired in anyway. In fact using a cable is more time consuming cos I have to remember how to do it and then to plug into my foot pedal string. And it gets under my feet, and I go walking off stage an take my rig with me ...

Dave (OBBM) makes the finest short cables for bass to transmitter though :rolleyes:

Having said all that in my upright gig I use a wonderful and nostalgic Vox curly lead cos I do none of the above, I just stand there and play :lol:

[quote name='neilb' post='625539' date='Oct 13 2009, 10:11 PM']I still have an old nady 201 from about 15-20 yrs ago. Are they still legal to use?[/quote]
When my battery pack for my 201 broke some years ago, I went to see about getting it fixed and was informed that both the 201 and 101 were illegal.

On a different note, another reason for going wireless is the extra safety of not being physically connected to my gear thus reducing (or even eliminating) the chance of electric shock etc.
I've had one or two discussions with other muso types as to the validity of this argument and wondered if someone here could shed some definitive light on this.
I've never had to (and would rather not) test the theory first hand! :)