Why become a member? ×

NORTH EAST BASS BASH - NOVEMBER 2009 - PICS & VIDEO ADDED!

wateroftyne

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='669343' date='Nov 29 2009, 07:01 PM']Sounds ominous. Bash casualty? :)[/quote]

He knocked it off the top of another rig...There was a stunned silence when it happened but WOT reckons it might be the preamp rather than the glass bits.

I'm sure he'll be along soon to tell everyone the whole sorry tale.

Steve

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='669336' date='Nov 29 2009, 06:56 PM']Bash pics, please, so I may live vicariously via the internet.[/quote]
OK! OK! You can have your pictures... just back off with your germs, will ya? :)

Shame you couldn't make it... it was a great afternoon.

First, the bad news. Stupidy, I thought it would be OK to perch my Walkabout head on top of Born 2B Mild's Genz Shuttle, on top of two Barefaced Compacts.

And it was fine.

Until it fell off:

The damage... well, it doesn't work! Bent handle, and buzzing when you fire it up. It hums when you apply pressure to the front panel.

Thanks to Monz's clear head (while mine went Walkabout - ha ha etc) we managed to ascertain that the power section seems OK, but the it's the pre that's goosed. I've swapped the valves, but it's still bust. Off to the amp man tomorrow... fingers crossed!

Aaaaanyway.. the bash!

Loads of great people & great stuff.. fab to see everyone. Thanks for coming.

Highlights... I LOVE Alpha-Dave's Warwick upright.. Heck, I even fell for a snazzy Status!

Monz's Green 2x12 kinda stole it for me, cab-wise. However, I now have the Barefaced Northern Compact, so I'll be giving that a workout over the next few days - If anyone is local and wants to borrow it, let me know!

Unfortunately, because I was walking around in a daze after my amp catastrophe, no-one got to try the Hellborg Pre Mr. Warwickhunt 'donated' - sorry John!

Thanks to Ginger Music & Hartke UK!

Pics & video:

[size=3]A Howard The Bass Doc 6-string creation:[/size]

Edited by wateroftyne

[quote name='MythSte' post='669355' date='Nov 29 2009, 07:14 PM']Owieee!

I really hope its nothing expensive WoT! If you need to an amp for any gigs or anything i'll happily post my shuttle 6 over to you after this weekend![/quote]
Arr... cheers, man. I've still got my Mpulse so I'll get by. Thanks for the offer, though!

I could kick myself... what an idiot. Bass amps, gravity and stupidity don't mix. I'll never do that again.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='669389' date='Nov 29 2009, 07:41 PM']Arr... cheers, man. I've still got my Mpulse so I'll get by. Thanks for the offer, though!

I could kick myself... what an idiot. Bass amps, gravity and stupidity don't mix. I'll never do that again.[/quote]

Hey WOT, great video and stills - really captured the event well.

Cheers, Steve.

Edited by StevieC

Sorry to hear about your [s]stupidity[/s] accident I hope it isn't too costly! :)

No worries re. the Hellborg pre, I fully understand. :lol: I'll organise to collect in the next day or two as I have gigs coming up and a bit of recording mid-week.

I assume from the video clip that Howie is angling for double wages with his band... percussion AND bass! :rolleyes: :lol:

Aye, thank you for organising, WoT!

It was great to put some faces to some names, I'm looking forward to the next one.

Also a big thank you to Mottlefeeder for brining his NS EUB all the way and showing me how to bow - of all the bass bashes I've been to I've never seen the room of bassists stop playing so quickly as when I produced the wolf notes with the bow. :)

D.

Edited by Alpha-Dave

So disappointed that I couldn't make it in the end. Was out celebrating last night and the absolute truth is I just had one (or five) beers too many, stayed up too late and was sick as a dog until about an hour ago.

Sorry to hear about the incident WoT. Hope it works out ok.

What did everyone think of the Hellborg pre-amp?

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='669383' date='Nov 29 2009, 07:36 PM']First, the bad news. Stupidy, I thought it would be OK to perch my Walkabout head on top of Born 2B Mild's Genz Shuttle, on top of two Barefaced Compacts.

And it was fine.

Until it fell off:

The damage... well, it doesn't work! Bent handle, and buzzing when you fire it up. It hums when you apply pressure to the front panel.

[/quote]

00.27secs "oh dear!" :)

Nah seriously I feel your pain and can empathise, hope it can be sorted easily.

What was the mojoed looking P leaning against then GK rig?

[quote name='MacDaddy' post='669519' date='Nov 29 2009, 09:41 PM']What was the mojoed looking P leaning against then GK rig?[/quote]

That's my gigging machine - a 1963 Precision with added Di Marzio J pickup. I started playing seriously the same year but it's in slightly better condition than I am.

It's natural wear, not yer reliced by a kid with a carbide disc.

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='669501' date='Nov 29 2009, 09:20 PM']I'm particularly intrigued by the fretless Jazzenstein up front there. More details, please.[/quote]

Body made by me (alder), neck by Mighty Mite - late 70s (Maccassar ebony board) standard Fender Jazz electrics with an additional Gibson EBO circuit added - stereo wired so that Fender and Gibson circuits can only be mixed externally i.e. two channel amp or two separate amps required.

Great afternoon spent trying out and listening to great gear and some tasty players. Also really nice to meet fellow BC members. The variety of gear on display was fantastic - I was really taken by those Aguilar 1x12's in Chocolate Thunder! :rolleyes:

A big 'thanks' to WoT for organising a great event. Well done sir! :)

Gaz

Edited by gazhowe

[quote name='The Bass Doc' post='669539' date='Nov 29 2009, 10:03 PM']That's my gigging machine - a 1963 Precision with added Di Marzio J pickup. I started playing seriously the same year but it's in slightly better condition than I am.

It's natural wear, not yer reliced by a kid with a carbide disc.[/quote]

:) :rolleyes: :lol: