Why become a member? ×

Encores (the last few numbers in your set, not the brand)

OldGit

A programme on BBC Radio 4 about doing encores ..
[url="http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00mw5nc"]http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00mw5nc[/url]

"the encore is like the condom in the pocket, everyone knows it's there but no one wants to talk about it"
:)

I hope you plan your band's encores and organise at least a few of the crowd to yell for them :rolleyes:

Edited by OldGit

I'm not a big fan of encores, either as a performer or as a punter.

It's something that we (the band) have discussed, agonised and argued about for many years.

We've tried not doing encores with no explanation (think we only tried that once :) ); Not doing encores and explaining that this really is the end of the show (tried that several times).

The problem is, everyone expects it. If you don't play the (encore) game it can create bad vibes and turn, what was, a fun and enjoyable event, into something unpleasant.

[quote name='OldGit' post='613705' date='Oct 1 2009, 11:49 AM']A programme on BBC Radio 4 about doing encores ..
[url="http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00mw5nc"]http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00mw5nc[/url][/quote]
Yes, I listened to that too... the Jesus & Mary Chain playing 30 minute sets and then refusing to do encores :)

Great gigs I've seen with at least half an hour encores include Delbert McClinton, Keb Mo, Eric Clapton and Steve Miller. So even the top guys do them!

Encores are good. If the audience wants an encore it means you were successful, they like you and they want more. The audience will usually feel happier if they get an encore; they "got a little bit more". An encore is one way that the promoter can judge whether you'll be worth booking again.

I always try to get bands to plan the encore and I think you should play 2 numbers. If you have a curfew time I would end the set 10 mins early to give yourself time to fit the encore in. You have to judge whether you're on course for an encore, though!

One of my bands is run by a "clock watcher" and he won't play a second over the allotted time. It's a very good band but, in my opinion, we always finish the night on a sour note.

It's just part of the evening's games isn't it, we usually play about 24 songs through 2 sets plus 2 or 3 encores . We make them work for em, you know "we can't hear you" "are you sure you want another" "We have got to get the half eleven bus you know"

Generally consists of upbeat sing along type numbers... Crazy little thing, Brown eyed girl, All or nothing... you know the type

To me there is no problem with them as you account for them in the timings of your sets good time to get them to remember how good you were and that they had a real good night and the band played 3 encores for us

We've recently started finishing our set with a slow number at the end of the night as a "final encore". We found that the audience generally kept wanting more "encores" if we kept on the lively rock type numbers. Adding a slow number at the very end seemed to have a calming influence and everyone really believed them that we were finishing!

The problem I have found a few times is you have given you're all for the set(s) and done a good gig and then when you decide yes we'll do a couple more, it can go a bit pear shaped and you end up leaving the punters with a bad impression of a knackered band limping through a couple of songs that they didn't really want to do.

Needs a careful balance. Pity to leave your best for an encore that you may not get to do.

As an Encore we usually do Rebel Yell and then i predict a riot. the latter i have never bothered to learn as by then the punters don't care what it sounds like and i don't like the song anyway. not very professional know but then i'm not a pro and we play pubs. i'lll stop digging now.

[quote name='chris_b' post='613789' date='Oct 1 2009, 01:18 PM']Great gigs I've seen with at least half an hour encores include Delbert McClinton, Keb Mo, Eric Clapton and Steve Miller. So even the top guys do them!

Encores are good. If the audience wants an encore it means you were successful, they like you and they want more. The audience will usually feel happier if they get an encore; they "got a little bit more". An encore is one way that the promoter can judge whether you'll be worth booking again.

I always try to get bands to plan the encore and I think you should play 2 numbers. If you have a curfew time I would end the set 10 mins early to give yourself time to fit the encore in. You have to judge whether you're on course for an encore, though!

One of my bands is run by a "clock watcher" and he won't play a second over the allotted time. It's a very good band but, in my opinion, we always finish the night on a sour note.[/quote]

I believe an encore is part of the show. It's a game and we all play it, punters and band.

Your clock watcher is fine and dandy so follow your own advice (and do what the professionals do) and plan the "end" with enough time to play at least one encore.

People like Happy Van Morrison and Chuck "45 minutes, money and out" Berry are famous for being grumpy and not playing encores.
A false stop before Brown eyed girl and Van would have a much better reputation.

Not playing an encore is punishing your punters - and they are the ones who bothered to come and see you [i]and [/i]stay to the end ..

[quote name='alant' post='613793' date='Oct 1 2009, 01:21 PM']We've recently started finishing our set with a slow number at the end of the night as a "final encore". We found that the audience generally kept wanting more "encores" if we kept on the lively rock type numbers. Adding a slow number at the very end seemed to have a calming influence and everyone really believed them that we were finishing![/quote]

Research can't quite find right now has shown that that is also good for minimising the hassle the staff get as people leave, results in less fights etc...

I believe that an encore should be earned by both the band and the audience.

Play well and if the audience wants you enough then by all means come back an play another song (maybe 2 if your normal set is over 90 minutes).

What I can't stand is bands who deliberately leave out their best known song(s) so the audience will be forced to call them back to do them no matter how poor the rest of the set was. Equally there's no reward in coming back on because a couple of your mates shouted more a few times.

Yes as a band you should plan for an encore, but only play it if the audience really wants it. For a relatively unknown originals band that threshold should be after at least 1 minute of non-stop applause and just before the audience start tearing down the venue in frustration.

Encores are too deeply embedded in the scene to not play them, punters expect them and walk away disappointed if they don't get them.
A lot of the time, bands will save their biggest hits for the encore and come back to play them, this expectation tends to rile up the crowd as they know it's coming - always good.

Currently, the tour i'm working on (not playing on BTW) is for a rather famous singer / songwriter / pianist called Reg who wears a wig, one of the main reasons for the encore is so he can nip off stage and have a wee so he's ready to jump into the limo at the end of the gig and race away from the gig without having to worry about stopping before he reaches the airport!

As for pub gigs, the encore is good timing so you can nip to the bar and grab another pint quickly before time at the bar!
I'm voting for encores!
Keep 'em!

[quote name='bluesparky' post='614263' date='Oct 1 2009, 09:49 PM']Encores are too deeply embedded in the scene to not play them, punters expect them and walk away disappointed if they don't get them.
A lot of the time, bands will save their biggest hits for the encore and come back to play them, this expectation tends to rile up the crowd as they know it's coming - always good.

Currently, the tour i'm working on (not playing on BTW) is for a rather famous singer / songwriter / pianist called Reg who wears a wig, one of the main reasons for the encore is so he can nip off stage and have a wee so he's ready to jump into the limo at the end of the gig and race away from the gig without having to worry about stopping before he reaches the airport!

As for pub gigs, the encore is good timing so you can nip to the bar and grab another pint quickly before time at the bar!
I'm voting for encores!
Keep 'em![/quote]

That's not "borrowed hair" is it? I thought he had his follicles sorted .... Do you have to minimise teh light on that part to avoid and nasty melting accidents?

[quote name='Jase' post='614433' date='Oct 2 2009, 12:54 AM']Johnathan Hicks memory of his encores sums it up for me...shuffling, nowhere to go, umm, umm...the DJ starts playing :)[/quote]

Poor DJ started talking over our last number a few gigs ago - Hotel manager on his sholder telling him to do it to stop us playing, even though our emplyers (bride and groom) had instructed us to end a little later.

We were into the last bit where we take the vol down and thank the bride and groom etc just before our big ending. To$$er started going "let's hear it for the band" as if we werea record fading out..
Not his fault but we will be talking to the B&G about it when they return.