Why become a member? ×

Drum hire around Surrey/Hampshire?

Linus27

First, sorry if this is the wrong forum and please feel free to move to correct forum Mr Admins :)

I have a gig on Friday where we need to supply the drums. Our drummer is not being the most helpful and I can see that it may come down to a mad rush to hire some in. You would think that our drummer and the rest of the band would be slightly concerened that we have no drum kit for a gig in a few days and that somebody should really be doing something about it. So, does anyone know anywhere that hires out drum kits in the Surrey/Hampshire area?

This is another example in a series of annoying things that my current band are doing and I am sure soon, I will be posting a thread asking what you guys think I should do, stay or go :rolleyes:

[quote name='alexclaber' post='612900' date='Sep 30 2009, 12:32 PM']Confused! What abour your drummer's kit? Or is he happy air-drumming?

Alex[/quote]

He has a very good kit which he says, only comes out for special gigs. :)

He is also used to London gigs who provide backline but this is an out of London gig and so we need to provide our own grear. A bit of a shock to him :rolleyes:

Edited by Linus27

[quote name='Linus27' post='612921' date='Sep 30 2009, 12:50 PM']He has a very good kit which he says, only comes out for special gigs. :)[/quote]

Well this is going to be a very special gig for him if he's just going to play it with a tambourine...

Don't do anything yourself - if he wants to be able to play the drums at the gig, then he needs to sort some out. And if he won't bring his own kit then the expense of hiring a substitute kit should be his own.

Alex

P.S. Is his very good kit so nice that he refuses to hit it with small pieces of wood in case it gets damaged?

[quote name='alexclaber' post='612927' date='Sep 30 2009, 12:58 PM']Well this is going to be a very special gig for him if he's just going to play it with a tambourine...

Don't do anything yourself - if he wants to be able to play the drums at the gig, then he needs to sort some out. And if he won't bring his own kit then the expense of hiring a substitute kit should be his own.

Alex

P.S. Is his very good kit so nice that he refuses to hit it with small pieces of wood in case it gets damaged?[/quote]

I totally agree with you. My concern is that as we are the headline band, we provide the backline and if we turn up with nothing, it will screw the other bands night up. Its bad enough he refuses to make soundcheck in time but I don't want him to screw up the other bands gig.

Oh and it has been worse. The last gig we did, in Guildford, our singer/guitarist never bothered to bring his Guitar amp. :) By pure luck I knew the other bands playing and could borrow one to save the day. Oh, but it got worse. We have a Xylophone/percussion player who needs to put their kit on a stand obviously. However, they never bothered to bring it. Why?? In the past they usually just blag it and borrow a bar stool to place the stuff on :rolleyes: However, this venue in Guildford has no bar stools and so they were looking around the venues kitchen for a tall bin or chair etc :lol: I did make a strong point that this is unacceptable so it will be interesting to see if they bring it next time.

[quote name='Linus27' post='612931' date='Sep 30 2009, 01:04 PM']The last gig we did, in Guildford, our singer/guitarist never bothered to bring his Guitar amp. :) By pure luck I knew the other bands playing and could borrow one to save the day. Oh, but it got worse. We have a Xylophone/percussion player who needs to put their kit on a stand obviously. However, they never bothered to bring it. Why?? In the past they usually just blag it and borrow a bar stool to place the stuff on :rolleyes: However, this venue in Guildford has no bar stools and so they were looking around the venues kitchen for a tall bin or chair etc[/quote]

Yeh, I hear it's exactly the same with Iron Maiden on tour ...

If you do a gig,you should take your own gear-it's not rocket science!

If there are other bands on the bill,then make sure that they
also have their own gear.You shouldn't have to supply your
gear for the other bands if you don't want to. Balls to this gear sharing lark.

Your Guitarist didn't take an amp to a gig??? No Excuse.

Edited by Doddy

[quote name='Linus27' post='612931' date='Sep 30 2009, 01:04 PM']I totally agree with you. My concern is that as we are the headline band, we provide the backline and if we turn up with nothing, it will screw the other bands night up. Its bad enough he refuses to make soundcheck in time but I don't want him to screw up the other bands gig.[/quote]

Let the other bands know that this is likely to happen and give them his email address and mobile number so he has the pleasure of explaining to them why he's entitled to act like a prima donna.

Alex

[quote name='Doddy' post='612972' date='Sep 30 2009, 01:57 PM']If you do,you should take your own gear-it's not rocket science!

If there are other bands on the bill,then make sure that they
also have their own gear.You shouldn't have to supply your
gear for the other bands if you don't want to. Balls to this gear sharing lark.

Your Guitarist didn't take an amp to a gig??? No Excuse.[/quote]

Yeah agree with you on this. So far its only the drums which the headline band has to provide but we have known about this for weeks yet nothing sorted. Its only slightly getting sorted as I am hassling them. If I was not, I can see them turning up with no kit and then wondering why a problem.

[quote name='Linus27' post='612977' date='Sep 30 2009, 02:03 PM']Yeah agree with you on this. So far its only the drums which the headline band has to provide but we have known about this for weeks yet nothing sorted. Its only slightly getting sorted as I am hassling them. If I was not, I can see them turning up with no kit and then wondering why a problem.[/quote]

You have got plenty of patience. I'd have probably ditched bandmates like that.

[quote name='alexclaber' post='612975' date='Sep 30 2009, 02:02 PM']Let the other bands know that this is likely to happen and give them his email address and mobile number so he has the pleasure of explaining to them why he's entitled to act like a prima donna.

Alex[/quote]

HAHA that would only work up to a point in the sense, you hardly ever get any replies from emails so he would probably just ignore it. The rest of the band are slightly better but only by a bit. I think if this whole thing goes pair shaped then I'll just walk.

To be fair to the drummer, I often wonder how I would feel having to turn up at gigs and let other people I don't know bash the beejezus out of my kit for an hour or two before I got to play it. One of my friends has had some really grim experiences with people using his kit and showing it no respect at all. I know I wouldn't like it if I was expected to turn up at a gig and be forced to let the bass players from the other bands use my bass and amp. I have had bad experiences with amp sharing before and refuse to do it (and thankfully don't have to) these days!

I know that with drums, sharing the headline bands kit is pretty much a standard arrangement, but I've never felt it was very fair for the poor drummer! Hope you sort it out anyway.

Edited by Mokl

[quote name='Adrenochrome' post='612980' date='Sep 30 2009, 02:08 PM']You have got plenty of patience. I'd have probably ditched bandmates like that.[/quote]

Well I have been told that many a time plus my name is Michael so they say I have the patience of a saint :rolleyes:

Back in July I put together a simple time line for the rest of the year based on things agreed. Nothing to taxing.

1. Ensure rehearsals are booked for rest of year
2. Update Myspace Page and keep updated
3. Update Facebook page and keep updated
4. Book 6 - 8 gigs for rest of year
5. Complete the 5 track demos
6. Book photoshoot
7. Look into website for band
8. Speak to video guy if he can edit video
9. Provide photo idea for photoshoot
10. Get T-Shirts made
11. Record two single
12. Find a video producer

So far, I have done items 2, 3, 4, 7, 10, 11 and 12. Item 1 has always been done by the singer yet has still not been done. Item 5 is the singers job as the main songwriter and has been saying he will do since July and still not done it. Item 6 the singer knows the photographer but has still not booked it. Item 8 the singer knows the video guy but has still not spoken to him. Item 11 can't be done until the demo has been finished.

Considering I have been last in to the band (March 09), I booked 3 of the four gigs and nobody else seems to be making any effort. Taken over the Myspace and Facebook page, updated it and keep it updated. I am now looking into the band website as nobody else is bothering to. Provided ideas for photoshoots and got the T-Shirts made. Lots of other little things in the pipework but nobody seems to be chasing it up and so it just dies a death.

I got them on a radio show with some songs played. Who do you think was the only one to tune in and join in with the live discussions? Yep, me :) Its not even my band.

There are so many brickwalls. Drummer who can't make soundcheck, rehearsals or gigs. Singer or percussionist who can't make soundcheck or rehearsals because of other comitments. Emails is the main form of communication yet people don't reply back to emails. Forgetting to bring gear or not doing the things they said they would do like chase up promotors etc. I seem to be doing all the running and the rest of the band seem to be sitting back and enjoying themselves.

Oh well, rant over, I think I know what I am going to do. Was going to try and last the year but not sure I will be able to.

I'd probably refuse to play the gig unless it got sorted. You shouldn't need to be sorting it out on your own and if you turn up to the gig with an idiot drummer who hasn't realised he needs his drum kit to be able to play it, you'll look like a tw@t because you're associated with him.

Seems like it's been made clear to him what the situation is, so if it's about other people using his gear, he should've refused the gig or worked out an alternative IMO.

If the other bands don't have to use your amps,then they shouldn't have to use the drums.
Tell the other bands to bring their own gear,and do the same with your drummer.
If the other bands have got anything about them,they should bring their own gear
with them anyway. Besides,it doesn't take long to change the gear over if you've got
your wits about you.
Your drummer is being fair enough not wanting the other band using his gear,but he should still take
his kit to play your set-not expect another band to provide one.

I would never let another band use my stuff-with very few exceptions.
I've told guys to go home and fetch their own gear in the past.

IMO, time for a quick summary of your position so far:

[quote]* Drummer who can't make soundcheck, rehearsals or gigs. He has a very good kit which he says, only comes out for special gigs.
* Singer or percussionist who can't make soundcheck or rehearsals because of other comitments.
* The last gig we did, in Guildford, our singer/guitarist never bothered to bring his Guitar amp
* We have a Xylophone/percussion player who needs to put their kit on a stand obviously ... they were looking around the venues kitchen for a tall bin...
* Emails is the main form of communication yet people don't reply back to emails.
* I seem to be doing all the running and the rest of the band seem to be sitting back and enjoying themselves.[/quote]
It would seem they are a total bunch of piss-taking timewasters. Score yourself a new band, pronto.

As for the drum hire, tell the drummer he can sort himself out for a kit, the lazy f***-tard

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='613235' date='Sep 30 2009, 08:23 PM']IMO, time for a quick summary of your position so far:

It would seem they are a total bunch of piss-taking timewasters. Score yourself a new band, pronto.[/quote]

Yeah, I think after posting in this thread and talking to you guys, this is the conclusion I have come to. We have three gigs booked, two in October and one in November. I will try to honour these and then call it quits. Thanks for your help everyone.

Definatley a bad scene although to be fair to the drummer, I wouldn`t be too happy lending out expensive gear unless I knew the person well. Having said that, a guitarist I know left his band because the drummer bought an MX5 sports car and gave his kit to the other band members to take to gigs.

If I were you I would start looking for another band as they seem to be taking the p**s.

A few years ago I was asked to join a band who were forming. When I asked about a pa they said that they had "done lots of gigs before and pubs have their own pa, so we dont need one". That`s a good one I thought to myself. Me-Exit satge left!

Jez