Why become a member? ×

Jamiroquai

YouMa

[quote name='YouMa' post='610362' date='Sep 27 2009, 09:36 PM']I have been having a go at runaway by jamiroquai,its harder than it sounds,i was just wondering what setup,pedals etc the bass player is using to get that lovely tone,please dont anybody say its all in his fingers as i know how heavily produced jamiroquai are.[/quote]

I know that it is a P bass in the verse and Stingray in the chorus. Effects?

[quote name='Higgie' post='610526' date='Sep 28 2009, 03:16 AM']Runaway is most definitely not Zender! He left like 2 albums before that :) It's Paul Turner, and the P Bass/Stingray thing is true. 60's P and a Pre-EB Stingray IIRC.[/quote]

I know i knew that, Im not completly behind the times. (ish!) I just thought it was Zender that used a stingray and a P in some tracks, I didnt know Turner did aswell!

[quote name='sshorepunk' post='610562' date='Sep 28 2009, 08:41 AM']Not as nice a feeling as nailing the whole of space cowboy with all zenders variations though :)[/quote]

It's not Zender on the album. The bass is credited as "Mr. X", something that I was gutted about when I found out because up until that point it was my favourite Zender bass line, but it's not Zender...

Zender played on the studio version that was arranged as more of a higher tempo dance single with some crowd pleasing cheesy slap on it. It doesn't come close to the album version IMO.

[quote name='sshorepunk' post='610681' date='Sep 28 2009, 11:27 AM']You are indeed right, I remember reading that a while back, so who is the mysterious Mr X, Andrew Levy maybe? Whoever it is needs a serious pat on the back for some smooth and creative 5 string bass work, funky as 10 funky things in a place called "funky"

T[/quote]

haha definitely :)

[quote name='NJE' post='610686' date='Sep 28 2009, 11:33 AM']I remeber reading somewhere that someone suggested Mr X could have been Winston Blisset who used to play with Massive Attack and did some work for Robbie Williams amongst many others.[/quote]

Hmmm Winston is awesome - but I heard it was Randy Hope Taylor. Would love to know, it's a great bassline.

Stu

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='610710' date='Sep 28 2009, 12:01 PM']Doesn't sound like him. It doesn't sound like Randy Hope Taylor either. I reckon it was whoever was playing guitar for them at the time.[/quote]

I'm gonna have to start another thread for this...

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='610696' date='Sep 28 2009, 11:43 AM']Great bassline - it's a bit nerdy to use two basses though![/quote]

According to PT he did 2 complete passes of the song, one on P and on on the 'Ray and JK liked the sound of the individual chorus and verse parts, so they just cut and pasted it together. I'm sure this goes on a lot with many bands, it's what production is all about I guess.

RHT has got to be in the running for this as well I reckon!

There are many bass lines off of the first two albums that will bring a smile to anyones face when you get them nailed, another fave of mine is "If I like it, I do it"

I have two live recordings of Paul Turner playing with the band, his playing is incredible, Zender gets the credit he deserves for creating a lot of these lines, but PT nails them all and makes them even better with his own style. One of the recordings I have has a great bass sound and it's really up in the mix!

T

I've been to the Jamirotalk forum and all I got was this quote.

[quote]no one knows the guy's name. if you check the stuartzender.net forums, kevin lindsay, who knows paul turner asked paul to inquire. the only thing derrick mckenzie and jay remember about mr.x is that he was a 'fat black guy', which is neither andrew levy nor randy hope-taylor.[/quote]

Edited by Mcgiver69

[quote name='YouMa' post='611235' date='Sep 28 2009, 08:45 PM']the only thing that puts me off flats is the slap tone,[/quote]

There's an obvious and socially-acceptable solution to this problem. :)

[quote name='YouMa' post='611235' date='Sep 28 2009, 08:45 PM']do a lot of funk players use flats,when did roundwounds start to dominate.[/quote]

Pretty much as soon as they were introduced. Flats are a good sound to have available though, if you want that '60s vibe.

[quote name='benwhiteuk' post='610660' date='Sep 28 2009, 11:01 AM']It's not Zender on the album. The bass is credited as "Mr. X", something that I was gutted about when I found out because up until that point it was my favourite Zender bass line, but it's not Zender...

Zender played on the studio version that was arranged as more of a higher tempo dance single with some crowd pleasing cheesy slap on it. It doesn't come close to the album version IMO.[/quote]

I absolutely hate the album version. Before I found out it wasn't Stu, I thought he'd had an awful day at the office; I couldn't believe it was him. I was right not to believe as it wasn't. I hate the feel of it (no push whatsoever), and I absolutely detest the tone, it's one of my least favourite tones ever. I actually think it's not very funky at all. Gimme Stu's version anyday.

Edited by 4000