Why become a member? ×

How Many Readers Of This Site Actually Go Out And Gig?

bass_in_ya_face

I gig regularly in both my covers and originals bands and have been for 3 years since I started at the tender age of 17. I've also hosted jam nights and am about to host a new one to accompany the band night I'm organising. I love it, live experience is the only experience you need. "Bedroom" guitarists are a section of people that no one needs.

[quote name='theosd' post='65387' date='Sep 25 2007, 03:28 PM']"Bedroom" guitarists are a section of people that no one needs.[/quote]

A little harsh IMHO :) I, like many others learned to play in the "bedroom" and other rooms before I took to performing in public. When I stop playing in public, I will no doubt return to doodling indoors exclusively.

Hamster

[quote name='Hamster' post='65397' date='Sep 25 2007, 03:45 PM']A little harsh IMHO :) I, like many others learned to play in the "bedroom" and other rooms before I took to performing in public. When I stop playing in public, I will no doubt return to doodling indoors exclusively.

Hamster[/quote]

Sorry, I meant in terms of guitarists who confine themselves to the bedroom, practise for hours and become really good. At playing on their own. Too often at jam nights this breed of guitarist or bassist will come along and fail miserably at playing in a band situation; and still believe they're amazing. In this respect I'm using 'bedroom guitarists' in a less broad sense.

I spent 18 months learning to play bass, starting completely from scratch (thank you Stuart Clayton), before going and looking for a teacher in January, and some blues jam sessions around June this year.

I now routinely do two or three jams a week, totalling about 90 minutes a week actually on-stage, and haven't enjoyed myself so much in years. My own playing has improved hugely, helped by continuing with bass lessons.

I'm 50, with a fairly young family, so starting a band isn't really practical. Jams and open-mic sessions are the next best thing. I look pretty young, but I'm just back-dated.

Every jam I've visited (six so far, all in or around West London) has been extremely friendly and welcoming. No snobbery, no put-downs, no sneers.

Almost every musician I've jammed with has been especially supportive when I've told them I'm a newbie. I've lost count of the numbers of drummers and guitarists who have helped to "carry me" on various occasions.

Why do it? Because I didn't do it in my 20's (why the hell not?!) and it may be too late by the time I'm in my 60's.

Gig for money? What're you offerin', bro?

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='65404' date='Sep 25 2007, 03:57 PM']I spent 18 months learning to play bass, starting completely from scratch (thank you Stuart Clayton), before going and looking for a teacher in January, and some blues jam sessions around June this year.

I now routinely do two or three jams a week, totalling about 90 minutes a week actually on-stage, and haven't enjoyed myself so much in years. My own playing has improved hugely, helped by continuing with bass lessons.

I'm 50, with a fairly young family, so starting a band isn't really practical. Jams and open-mic sessions are the next best thing. I look pretty young, but I'm just back-dated.

Every jam I've visited (six so far, all in or around West London) has been extremely friendly and welcoming. No snobbery, no put-downs, no sneers.

Almost every musician I've jammed with has been especially supportive when I've told them I'm a newbie. I've lost count of the numbers of drummers and guitarists who have helped to "carry me" on various occasions.

Why do it? Because I didn't do it in my 20's (why the hell not?!) and it may be too late by the time I'm in my 60's.

Gig for money? What're you offerin', bro?[/quote]

Thanks for the PM by the way...pity you're so far away!

What exactly happens at these jam nights then?..i'm interested

Edited by bass_in_ya_face

Guest Bald Eagle

Interesting thread-comments.

I don't gig, i'd love to, my problem is confidence and always beating myself up because I don't sound like XYZ virtuoso, so I spend too much time learning stuff people probably wouldn't want to hear anyway when really I should be concentrating on the basics and getting a gig. I also feel a bit apprehensive about contacting anyone over the web to jam etc. mainly for fear of being laughed at as in reality I really don't know what level i'm at! I don't know anyone else who plays or can help me or introduce me to similar aged (late 30's) and minded people, it's a vicious circle.

And a big boo to the muso snobs, I have no time for conceited people like that I wouldn't diss anyone whatever their level we've all been there or are there were always learning.

Bald E - You should check out some acoustic/open mic nights around your area. Take your bass with you and have a couple of pints and ask some nice looking blokes if you could play along to their easy three chord folk song or whatever. That's got to be a good start!

You won't get confidence without gigs, so you're going to have to gig without confidence for a bit. It's an annoying fact of life, but, (probably) like most other people here, now i'm gigging a lot, I don't get nervous.

Also, if you play original music, no-one will laugh at you. If you're playing covers, you obviously need to be able to play them.

I'm not great at the bass, but I have the confidence get on stage and play as well as I can, and I play in an unusual way, so people think i'm a good bassist, which is cool.

MB1. :)

I play in a gigging band and have always been in bands,but thats just me,i think the point your missing is "It doesnt matter where you play, its your overall love and passion for the instrument that matters,surely thats why we are here on the site.Gigging...... some do!,some dont,some will,some wont,youre love of BASS is the only thing that matters!...

[quote name='theosd' post='65447' date='Sep 25 2007, 05:42 PM']The problem with jam nights is that they tend to attract muso snobs, at least in my area. They see it as an opportunity to go and show off.[/quote]

I've met a few like that, :huh: , BUT they're invariably guitarists. In my (limited) experience, what a flash guitarist wants is a steady, non-flash bass player who'll let him disappear up above the 12th fret and still be holding down the beat when he finally comes back down to earth.

I am that bass player!

:)

[quote name='bass_in_ya_face' post='65424' date='Sep 25 2007, 04:33 PM']What exactly happens at these jam nights then?..i'm interested[/quote]

The routine seems the same everywhere.

There'll be a house band with a fairly constant line-up each week. They'll play a brief set to get things going, while an organiser makes himself available with a clipboard. People wanting to play give him their name, instrument, and a rough indication of the music they play and the level they play at.

When the house band finish their set, the organiser calls out a series of players ("we'll have Tom and Dick on guitars, Harry on bass, and Fred on drums") and those guys get up on stage.

There's a quick whispered discussion, after which everyone agrees to play whatever the guitarist wants because he's the only one who can sing. Hopefully, some of the players will know the song.

Each scratch band will usually get 15/20 minutes on stage in any given set.

Every evening will contain at least one blistering jam which has mouths hanging open, and at least one total disaster which has mouths hanging open.

At least one player will have forgotten to tune up before going on stage.

Banjos and flutes are not popular.

Don't even think about engaging in amusing repartee with the audience unless you had a previous career as a stand-up comedian at the Edinburgh Festival.

BTW, in Ireland the place to look seems to be the [url="http://boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=171"]Bands & Musicians[/url] forum on boards.ie.

I haven't gigged for 15 years now, since I returned to the UK from South Africa, then moved to Dublin in 1999. For most of that time I've been working (busy), or looking for work (skint), and I don't drive (which makes transporting gear very problematic). Excuses, you might be tempted to say, but gigging is not something I [i]have[/i] to do, obviously, not if it makes life harder than it already is.

I have had the experience of trying to carry gear to and on the Tube, then being nearly unable to play because the 50lb combo amp screwed my hands up. So the availability of the new light combos (MiniMark, Briefcase etc.) might give me some hope - if only I hadn't just started university, and need to save all my money for rent. Yeah, I know - excuses, excuses... :)

Edit: just spotted the Briefcase on eBay: opening at £300: [url="http://cgi.ebay.com/Phil-Jones-Briefcase-Bass-Amplifier-100W-Combo_W0QQitemZ150163909772QQihZ005QQcategoryZ58719QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD2VQQcmdZViewItem"]link[/url]. Hmmm... BassChatter?

Edited by bnt

I've seen a few great bands come out of the WeeKend Warrior's Scheme which is worth a look, look for posters in SC or Dawsons ect. Me I don't gig a lot but it would not make much sense to me to play bass and not want to show what I can/cannot! do, to me its about making friends enjoying the music and letting off a bit of steam from my normal life.

[quote name='bass_in_ya_face' post='65424' date='Sep 25 2007, 04:33 PM']What exactly happens at these jam nights then?..i'm interested[/quote]

If you dare try some jazz there's a very good and accessible workshop in Brighton on Tuesday evenings. Before I started my originals band I learnt quite a bit there.

Alex

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='65460' date='Sep 25 2007, 06:16 PM']The routine seems the same everywhere.

There'll be a house band with a fairly constant line-up each week. They'll play a brief set to get things going, while an organiser makes himself available with a clipboard. People wanting to play give him their name, instrument, and a rough indication of the music they play and the level they play at.

When the house band finish their set, the organiser calls out a series of players ("we'll have Tom and Dick on guitars, Harry on bass, and Fred on drums") and those guys get up on stage.

There's a quick whispered discussion, after which everyone agrees to play whatever the guitarist wants because he's the only one who can sing. Hopefully, some of the players will know the song.

Each scratch band will usually get 15/20 minutes on stage in any given set.

Every evening will contain at least one blistering jam which has mouths hanging open, and at least one total disaster which has mouths hanging open.

At least one player will have forgotten to tune up before going on stage.

Banjos and flutes are not popular.

Don't even think about engaging in amusing repartee with the audience unless you had a previous career as a stand-up comedian at the Edinburgh Festival.[/quote]

What if you don't know how to play the song?.....not sure i'm ready for that yet to be honest.

Think i'll scout about on the muso forums for musical playes with about a years playing under their belts like moi.

[quote name='Bald Eagle' post='65443' date='Sep 25 2007, 05:21 PM']Interesting thread-comments.

I don't gig, i'd love to, my problem is confidence and always beating myself up because I don't sound like XYZ virtuoso, so I spend too much time learning stuff people probably wouldn't want to hear anyway when really I should be concentrating on the basics and getting a gig. I also feel a bit apprehensive about contacting anyone over the web to jam etc. mainly for fear of being laughed at as in reality I really don't know what level i'm at! I don't know anyone else who plays or can help me or introduce me to similar aged (late 30's) and minded people, it's a vicious circle.

And a big boo to the muso snobs, I have no time for conceited people like that I wouldn't diss anyone whatever their level we've all been there or are there were always learning.[/quote]

My God are you my twin?...pity your in B'ham...we could have compared notes!

I'm in exactly the same boat. I can hold a pretty tight chug along and play a few songs from start to finish but I just don't know any other players.

[quote name='bass_in_ya_face' post='65515' date='Sep 25 2007, 08:14 PM']What if you don't know how to play the song?.....[/quote]
You learn the number in the first verse. You'll be fine after that.

Exude an air of confidence, play boldly, look everyone straight in the eye and smile. They will all think that it's someone else who doesn't know what they are playing! Failing that blame the drummer. That always works.

[quote name='Bald Eagle' post='65443' date='Sep 25 2007, 05:21 PM']Interesting thread-comments.

And a big boo to the muso snobs, I have no time for conceited people like that I wouldn't diss anyone whatever their level we've all been there or are there were always learning.[/quote]

I was in a similar position myself when I returned to bass last year. I wasn't very good but I really wanted to be in a band. Joining a band or even going to a jam session just seemed far too daunting - I thought that I would be looked down on as a root note plodder (which I still am basically).

My alternative was to start a band myself. That might sound crazy but think about it: 1) Everyone involved knows the score before you start (i.e. the style of music, level of musicianship etc) 2) You get to decide if you'd like to play with these people and 3) by all starting at the same time you get a chance to 'form' as a band rather than trying to fill some other bass players shoes.

I used [url="http://www.formingbands.co.uk"]www.formingbands.co.uk[/url] to get together with like-minded people. Just be honest about what you can do and what you want to do and you'll find that there are plenty of people who'll be interested.

Keep the faith!

elom

Been thinking about this - its a good discussion and raises some interesting points about whether someone is a real musician if they dont gig. Just looked at the Oxford Dictionary and a musician is someone skilled at music, which is pretty vague. How do you know you are skilled (or even crap) if no-one hears you play? I'm am reminded of the old philosophy conundrum - if a tree falls down in an empty forest, did it make any noise?

Ok there is you-tube and the like now but thats not an indicator of whether you can play with other people - i've followed a few links posted on here and the chops on some of them sound pretty good - but some of them go to pot when you start counting the time.

Its also not the same as playing in front of an angry mob in the roughest pub in town, and winning them over. My second gig with the Ferrets (one day after the first gig - two days after the audition) was in the long gone Whitehawk Inn at Brighton and my fellow basschatters from there will know exactly what I mean. I had been playing about six months and done one gig but loads of practices with my previous band. I had played guitar for 10 years so knew what the notes were, but trust me my spincter was pretty tight that night.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='65623' date='Sep 25 2007, 11:15 PM']Been thinking about this - its a good discussion and raises some interesting points about whether someone is a real musician if they dont gig. Just looked at the Oxford Dictionary and a musician is someone skilled at music, which is pretty vague. How do you know you are skilled (or even crap) if no-one hears you play? I'm am reminded of the old philosophy conundrum - if a tree falls down in an empty forest, did it make any noise?

Ok there is you-tube and the like now but thats not an indicator of whether you can play with other people - i've followed a few links posted on here and the chops on some of them sound pretty good - but some of them go to pot when you start counting the time.

Its also not the same as playing in front of an angry mob in the roughest pub in town, and winning them over. My second gig with the Ferrets (one day after the first gig - two days after the audition) was in the long gone Whitehawk Inn at Brighton and my fellow basschatters from there will know exactly what I mean. I had been playing about six months and done one gig but loads of practices with my previous band. I had played guitar for 10 years so knew what the notes were, but trust me my spincter was pretty tight that night.[/quote]

Oh man Whitehawk...reminds me of the Blues Brothers where they play behind a wire mesh!