Why become a member? ×

How Many Readers Of This Site Actually Go Out And Gig?

bass_in_ya_face

[quote name='bass_in_ya_face' post='65172' date='Sep 25 2007, 08:42 AM']Just as a side issue, when I feel i'm at a standard where I can hold my own with other muscians, where do you actively find muscians of a similar standard/age who want to make a noise together?[/quote]

also try [url="http://www.formingbands.co.uk"]www.formingbands.co.uk[/url]

I like to gig - I'd probably still play guitar at home if I wasn't gigging or in another band, but to be honest if I wasn't in either of the two bands I play in I would have to go out and find another gigging band. I play bass in an original indie-brit-rock-thingy band and guitar in a covers band that covers all the usual function fayre. In the originals band, I would say in our local area that 20 gigs a year is probably about right - last year we did maybe 60-70 gigs and playing within a radius of 20 miles makes it difficult to get a regular audience when you play that many. We don't harbour any aspirations to go out and make it despite our material standing up with some of the next big things and we've supported a few major label acts - but I'm not interested in any of that and I just like to play. Personally, I don't think it matters, what gear you've got, how good you are, whether you're out 5 nights a week gigging or if you play at home for your own satisfaction and pleasure - if you play a musical instrument, you're a musician full stop. I do think that I'm a better musician for playing regularly with other musicians and it's developed me as a musician, particularly playing other people's music - if you can spend a couple of hours a week with a band, you'll have a lot of fun.

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='65188' date='Sep 25 2007, 09:09 AM']I only play to gig, I love playing live and if I wasn't in a band I probably wouldn't pick up a bass or guitar again - that's my choice. I certainly wouldn't look down on anyone or make stupid comments to anyone who chose to do otherwise. It's your time and you fill it with whatever gives you pleasure and b*llocks to the brain-dead fungi who talk through their dirtboxes.[/quote]

+billions

Last half had me spitting my toast!

[quote name='bass_in_ya_face' post='65164' date='Sep 25 2007, 08:21 AM']The other thing that irritated me was the pack mentality of taking the mickey out of the young lad trying to tackle 'My Generation'. Christ I bet most of the 'pro's' on here couldn't make it sound like The Ox either. Pino Palladino doesn't.[/quote]

If people put up videos of themselves on youtube then they should expect to get comments etc from people viewing it. Its hardly the trickiest song in the world and yes, yes, i know we've all got to start somewhere but don't run before you can walk. Maybe he should spend less time on youtube and myspace and more time practising.......... (and it [i]is [/i]pretty funny!)

back on track now...

Gigging can, admittedly be a real pain. Theres lots of work involved and i can totally understand why people decide to stop doing it. NEVER doing it on the other hand means missing out on some great experiences. Playing together with other musicians and playing in front of a live audience is completely different to playing in your bedroom at home. You've got to up your game and think on your feet and if you read interviews by 'name' players asking what advice they'd give to youngsters starting out, ALOT of them will say to get out and play live. I for one would agree.

peace

c

Playing with other musicians will improve your musical ability by leaps and bounds. Two and a half years ago I hadn't really considered playing fretless bass, however the band I had just joined had a couple of songs which to my mind were just crying out for a fretless. I just made the plunge and bought a cheap fretless conversion bass to see how I would actually get on and whether I could keep in tune. Nowadays I play three-quarters of our set on fretless. Also when I was a complete beginner as a musician many many years ago I went from being barely able to string two chords together (a state that I'd been in for almost a year of playing the guitar) to being able to compently strumming my way through most songs simply because I spent most of my Summer holiday hanging out with people who could already play and interacting musicially with them.

I was in a regularily gigging band for a couple of years up until recently, then I left.

Why? Because for me, being in a band and having all the organisational stuff, band politics, egotistical band members and actually being contractually obliged to go out and go do gigs completely sapped all the enjoyment out of it. I went from playing my bass for hours at a time at home to only playing it at band pracs and gigs. It became a chore rather than a hobby.

Now that I've left the band I've slowly started getting back into my bass playing and most importantly, getting the enjoyment back. I've got a new bass coming this week and I've started having relaxed jams with a couple of mates, just pure and simple jamming with no pressure....it's great.

Having said that, being in a band and playing live does make your playing alot better. Your rythm will improve lots and so will your playing becuase you have to think on your feet and you can't stop and have a break if your fingers start hurting!

I'd probably die if I didn't gig, I certainly wouldn't be happy in a hobby band where everyone just gets together to jam some tunes. I have two regularly gigging bands plus I play in jam sessions and acoustic nights. I'm pretty much a bass slut - any time with anyone.

However, If someone wants to sit in a room on their own playing intricate tricksy stuff, then that's what does it for them. It doesn't make them any less of a musician than someone who plays original material is more of a musician than someone who plays covers, or vice versa.

I've always considered myself as bassist rather than a musician as my music theory knowledge is abysmal but the harmonica player (a proper professional musician & teacher) in my band insists that anyone who plays a musical instrument is a musician - regardless of what form it takes.

[quote name='3V17C' post='65202' date='Sep 25 2007, 09:44 AM']If people put up videos of themselves on youtube then they should expect to get comments etc from people viewing it. Its hardly the trickiest song in the world and yes, yes, i know we've all got to start somewhere but don't run before you can walk. Maybe he should spend less time on youtube and myspace and more time practising.......... (and it [i]is [/i]pretty funny!)[/quote]

You might want to see who uploaded that clip before embarrassing yourself further.

I don't think people who don't gig, are for that reason less of a musician. Obviously anyone who plays music is a musician. Being in a live band really helps you develop as a musician, whatever instrument you're on, and I think that in general, people who play in bands (maybe they don't have to gig) are generally better musicians to listen to.

Sorry. Don't mean to be a dick about this.

Basically, that clip wasn't uploaded by the guy who was playing the bass. It's a totally different guy. It was uploaded by some asshole to make fun of the footage - the 'professional' comment in the clip was sarcastic.

The fact that it's filmed on its side also makes it seem like a sneak-recording.

Either way, the kid playing the bass was just playing the bass. Some other asshole filmed it, and uploaded it for others to laugh at. I don't even know if the kid has any idea that it exists.

It's one thing if the kid posts a video of himself not playing very well and comments "I'm amazing!" Self delusion deserves to be seen as self delusion. It's a totally other thing when the kid is making no claims about his ability and is being laughed at by a community of bassists.

He could be a poster here. Both actually, and in the wider "he's your bro too, man" sense.

So it's possible you've just got the wrong end of the stick on this one.

[quote name='Cantdosleepy' post='65255' date='Sep 25 2007, 11:59 AM']Sorry. Don't mean to be a dick about this.

Basically, that clip wasn't uploaded by the guy who was playing the bass. It's a totally different guy. It was uploaded by some asshole to make fun of the footage - the 'professional' comment in the clip was sarcastic.

The fact that it's filmed on its side also makes it seem like a sneak-recording.

Either way, the kid playing the bass was just playing the bass. Some other asshole filmed it, and uploaded it for others to laugh at. I don't even know if the kid has any idea that it exists.

It's one thing if the kid posts a video of himself not playing very well and comments "I'm amazing!" Self delusion deserves to be seen as self delusion. It's a totally other thing when the kid is making no claims about his ability and is being laughed at by a community of bassists.

He could be a poster here. Both actually, and in the wider "he's your bro too, man" sense.

So it's possible you've just got the wrong end of the stick on this one.[/quote]

From what I can make out its the drummer in the very same clip who uploaded it (?) so might not have been uploaded purely for people to laugh at as it would do him no favours either (remember the arrogance of youth and thinking you're the best at everything when in fact you still have an awful lot to learn?). Anyhoo, if he does see the comments etc it [i]might[/i] make him think 'hang on a minute, actually thats [i]not[/i] very good' and he could then go away and woodshed for hours until he gets it right, thus making him a better player and the comments actually helpful!

peace

c

[quote name='bass_in_ya_face' date='Sep 25 2007, 07:01 AM' post='65148']
[i]I only ask because I read a comment on another thread that made my blood boil.

Apparently you aren't a real musician unless you go out and play 'in the field' so to speak.[/i]

A sad misguided statement - wouldn't take much notice...
There again everybody's entitled to an opinion.

I gig about once/twice a month, which fits in nicely with my life. Sometimes due to other constraints, I find I can't gig at all. It's not a problem.
There was a period in my life, albeit about about 10 years ago, when the band I was in did 200+ gigs a year, anywhere. Back then I didn't feel any more of a 'real musician', just quite malnourished & knackered really :)

Edited by nick

What a great thread this is!

Although I played with an undiscovered band in the '80's that (thankfully for everyone) stayed that way, since then I've been firmly a "hobby" bassist. There's nothing wrong with this, as for me and apparently many others, it's about things like learning new licks and techniques and the pure enjoyment of playing an instrument. As well as this, I've found that playing bass has actually increased my appreciation of music in general.

I'm auditioning for a covers band next week, but I'm only doing this because I want the challenge (we only played our own stuff in the last band I was in). Being a parent with a demanding job, I've found it quite difficult to actually find a band that seem OK with the fact that I don't want to gig every weekend or rehearse more than once a week, but if it doesn't work out, I'll still be happy to go back to my Saturday morning shredding sessions.

[quote name='bass_in_ya_face' post='65261' date='Sep 25 2007, 12:12 PM']Thanks for the musicians web sites though. Sometime in the future I may well stop the lessons and track down some other duffers to play with.[/quote]

Bass players are always in demand and I've found that having some kind of focused project makes it all the more rewarding, be it recording bass on someone's demo, writing new material for an originals band, learning covers for gigs, etc.

Alex

I gig maybe twice a month now but used to be 3-4 times a week when I was young. Did my first paid gig aged 15.

If you get a good band with no ego's and politics there is nothing better. You dont have to be sh*t hot to gig and you will always find someone at your level. Even just going to auditions or jams can teach you much more about playing with other musicians than playing in your bedroom ever will, and bass is usually an ensemble instrument.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='65279' date='Sep 25 2007, 12:39 PM']If you get a good band with no ego's and politics there is nothing better. You dont have to be sh*t hot to gig and you will always find someone at your level. Even just going to auditions or jams can teach you much more about playing with other musicians than playing in your bedroom ever will, and bass is usually an ensemble instrument.[/quote]

I think sums it up pretty well! Avoiding egos and politics is quite a challenge, especially with the more prima donna band members - step forward singers and lead guitarists (not a term I like to use but the kind of guitarist that calls themself a lead guitarist is very different to others and rarely in a good way!) - but I think it gets easier with age (says this twenty something!)

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='65289' date='Sep 25 2007, 01:04 PM']Avoiding egos and politics is quite a challenge, especially with the more prima donna band members - step forward singers and lead guitarists (not a term I like to use but the kind of guitarist that calls themself a lead guitarist is very different to others and rarely in a good way!) - but I think it gets easier with age (says this twenty something!)

Alex[/quote]

As you get older the ego-driven prima donnas get replaced with grumpy old men so nothing really changes ;-)