Why become a member? ×

Mini setup

EBS_freak

I'm toying with a second setup that I can use in the house for noodling and having portability for those smaller gigs and practices. I'm not looking for a practice amp but a setup that can keep up with quieter bands. Think coffeeshop gigs, acoustic gigs and gigs where I would be going out through the PA and the speaker is there for monitoring.

After hearing some of those Class D amps, I'm not convinced I like them enough as what I already have, but do appreciate the portability and lightweight nature of them so they will do as a second amp.

Ampwise I'm sorted, I'm probably leaning to a Genz Benz Shuttle but am looking for a decent 1x12 that I can leave in the car for those last minute calls etc! Any suggestions? I know I can take a 2x10 (that I already have) but I want something uber portable and something which is going to provide me a decent amount of volume... hence the 1x12 thought...

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='608480' date='Sep 25 2009, 11:10 AM']I'm toying with a second setup that I can use in the house for noodling and having portability for those smaller gigs and practices. I'm not looking for a practice amp but a setup that can keep up with quieter bands. Think coffeeshop gigs, acoustic gigs and gigs where I would be going out through the PA and the speaker is there for monitoring.

After hearing some of those Class D amps, I'm not convinced I like them enough as what I already have, but do appreciate the portability and lightweight nature of them so they will do as a second amp.

Ampwise I'm sorted, I'm probably leaning to a Genz Benz Shuttle but am looking for a decent 1x12 that I can leave in the car for those last minute calls etc! Any suggestions? I know I can take a 2x10 (that I already have) but I want something uber portable and something which is going to provide me a decent amount of volume... hence the 1x12 thought...[/quote]

Bergantino.

Like the sound of Bergs, but only having one distributor here seems to 'promote' a false price..possibly.

£600 or in the region of, for a 12 over here...and yet they aren't that more expensive in the U.S than the competition.IIUC..

plus...not a fan of strap handles on cabs in general... but if the weight is right and the sound is right, I could live the handle issue as the box is not big or cumbersome.

[quote name='JTUK' post='608584' date='Sep 25 2009, 12:58 PM']Like the sound of Bergs, but only having one distributor here seems to 'promote' a false price..possibly.

£600 or in the region of, for a 12 over here...and yet they aren't that more expensive in the U.S than the competition.IIUC..

plus...not a fan of strap handles on cabs in general... but if the weight is right and the sound is right, I could live the handle issue as the box is not big or cumbersome.[/quote]

JTUK

Bergantino cabs are more expensive than regular bass cabs in the USA. They are hand made in the USA and use only the best woods and custom drivers x - overs etc, non of which comes cheap!

The UK prices work out comparable to the US prices - you have to add shipping + VAT + Import tax to any US price. Fluctuations in currency can make a difference but we have recently dropped our prices inline with the exchange rate trend.

I hope that helps.

Mark

EDIT
PS - The handles on the top have now been recessed to allow micro amps to sit on the top more easily.

Edited by poptart

[quote name='poptart' post='610357' date='Sep 27 2009, 09:33 PM']JTUK

Bergantino cabs are more expensive than regular bass cabs in the USA. They are hand made in the USA and use only the best woods and custom drivers x - overs etc, non of which comes cheap!

The UK prices work out comparable to the US prices - you have to add shipping + VAT + Import tax to any US price. Fluctuations in currency can make a difference but we have recently dropped our prices inline with the exchange rate trend.

I hope that helps.

Mark

EDIT
PS - The handles on the top have now been recessed to allow micro amps to sit on the top more easily.[/quote]

hmmmm An AE112 appears to be about $649 in Bass Emporium, Texas,
Your shop lists one around £600.

An GS112 at the US Guitar Centre is $499, for example. and at Bass Merchant at £355.
so, not sure why Aguilar transfer over at a better rate ( for UK buyers ) to the UK than Bergs...

Not making this point as to which is the best cab..just that Aguilars seem to have a more competitive price which transfer across an exchange rate better than Bergs do..

I suggest, or suspect that more competition for Aguilar products helps here. IMV.

Good move on the handles, IMO.

I understand you don't want a practice amp but I got a Roland bass cube the other week (30W version) and it's suprisingly capable, I understand they do a 100W version too. Give one a try as I use mine for most rehearsals other than the rock band. It has a line out on it, which is one of the reasons I got it... emergency back up

[quote name='JTUK' post='610509' date='Sep 28 2009, 01:19 AM']hmmmm An AE112 appears to be about $649 in Bass Emporium, Texas,

An GS112 at the US Guitar Centre is $499, for example. and at Bass Merchant at £355.
so, not sure why Aguilar transfer over at a better rate ( for UK buyers ) to the UK than Bergs...

Not making this point as to which is the best cab..just that Aguilars seem to have a more competitive price which transfer across an exchange rate better than Bergs do..

I suggest, or suspect that more competition for Aguilar products helps here. IMV.

Good move on the handles, IMO.[/quote]
JTK

I cannot comment on what the mark up on Aguilar is and it may be greater than is available on Bergantino hence the discounts available, plus my prices also include the fitted/padded covers that cost £60 on an AE112 that would be extra on the cab at Bass Exchange. Also it depends on what exchange rate the cabs were purchased at - if the cabs were bought at $2/£1 then it is possible that the prices are now out of sync.

I can assure you that my prices are very competitive and where ever possible would work out cheaper that importing similar items from the USA yourself.

The handles came about through UK feedback - the HT/EX112ER cabs now have side handles as requested by many users.

Regards

Mark

[quote name='JTUK' post='610509' date='Sep 28 2009, 01:19 AM']hmmmm An AE112 appears to be about $649 in Bass Emporium, Texas,

Good move on the handles, IMO.[/quote]
JTK

I cannot comment on what the mark up on Aguilar is and it may be greater than is available on Bergantino hence the discounts available, plus my prices also include the fitted/padded covers that cost £60 on an AE112 that would be extra on the cab at Bass Exchange. Also it depends on what exchange rate the cabs were purchased at - if the cabs were bought at $2/£1 then it is possible that the prices are now out of sync.

I can assure you that my prices are very competitive and where ever possible would work out cheaper that importing similar items from the USA yourself.

The handles came about through UK feedback - the HT/EX112ER cabs now have side handles as requested by many users.

Regards

Mark

I used Aguliar as an example.. for no other reason than I happened to know what the UK price was..and also the U.S price. I haven't yet bothered to look at other makes like SWR, Eden, Mesa, etc or whether they were made in the U.S or elsewhere.

I am not concened with the DIY import price, just comparing that other make/makes appear to do better than pretty much £-$ parity or thereabouts.

I am pleased for UK buyers that you throw in the covers..

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' post='612637' date='Sep 29 2009, 11:32 PM']Line6 Lowdown 110.
I've used it for exactly the gigs you describe and it does very well. Has a good DI with speaker sim too.[/quote]

I'd concur with that. If it's only as a personal monitor for small gigs why spend any more?... or is this a veiled attempt to hide a GAS hit? Go on admit it! You're among friends here!

(Admittedly there's not a huge amount of volume on tap. I lean it back and it works well for me. A 1x12 won't get you much smaller/lighter than one of your 2x10 cabs anyway)

Edited by Bigwan

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' post='612637' date='Sep 29 2009, 11:32 PM']Line6 Lowdown 110.
I've used it for exactly the gigs you describe and it does very well. Has a good DI with speaker sim too.[/quote]

I've heard these live and thought they sound great. I use my Eden WTX-260 and Acme B1 cab for the small ones. Works well for me.