Why become a member? ×

Hadrien Feraud Signature Smith

NJE

[quote name='AndyTravis' post='608223' date='Sep 24 2009, 10:14 PM']Hadrien Feraud is i twat, lets face it. I know I didn't stop around to watch him after he cruised around bass day uk 2007 w***ing gleefully into the punters faces. What a dick.[/quote]

...and we're off......

Another thread is cut off at the knees by pointless aggression towards an artist, just like the aforementioned Janek gets when his name is brought up.

I'm fed up with it.

I'm not a massive Hadrien fan either, I [i]am[/i] a Janek fan, but it's not important. To just start slagging someone you know very little about is outrageous.

This forum used to involve very open minded musicians, who had constructive discussions about gear, music and equipment, in a friendly way. That seems to be changing, or I'm getting old and bitter.

Hadrien is a very talented young man, whether you like his music or not shouldn't matter, just respect him for the artist he is and let other people who do like his music discuss it without antagonism from those who don't.

Listen guys, i've got rid of that post as it was ill informed, pointless and not in the least bit constructive.
After a few too many last night, think i got a bit self important.
Apologies tho those offended. Apologies to Hadrien.

I have no right to be passing those kinds of comments around.

Put it this way, regardless of my little opinion, he has a signature Smith, and i don't, so i'm sure he won't lose much sleep.

Again, sorry for causing a fuss. Note to self; beer+opinions should = mouth shut.

[quote name='AndyTravis' post='608367' date='Sep 25 2009, 09:31 AM']Listen guys, i've got rid of that post as it was ill informed, pointless and not in the least bit constructive.
After a few too many last night, think i got a bit self important.
Apologies tho those offended. Apologies to Hadrien.

I have no right to be passing those kinds of comments around.

Put it this way, regardless of my little opinion, he has a signature Smith, and i don't, so i'm sure he won't lose much sleep.

Again, sorry for causing a fuss. Note to self; beer+opinions should = mouth shut.[/quote]
Thanks Andy, I'll remove my post too and we'll move on. :)

Interesting thread this. I personally love the signature but I don't have an educated opinion here as I've never actually played a KS. I do love the sound of them though and I would love to see what they're like to play. Hopefully gonna be popping down to London soon to see some friends so I should get a chance to have a plonk in the gallery. Hadrien is an absolute inspiration to me, someone about my age with probably 100 times the musical knowledge I have. In my opinion that deserves a standing ovation. The guy is one of those few players I would refer to as being "gifted" and good on him for being so outstanding that he's landed himself with a KS Sig! His sense of harmony is just on another level, I'm convinced he either has four brains or he is infact a top secret goverment superhuman bass playing experiment who escaped from a secure facility in the middle of nowhere! I bet he can do really hard sums as well! If he is on the forum and happens to stop by this thread I say good on ya mate, just keep up the good work blowing us away.

[quote name='velvetkevorkian' post='608644' date='Sep 25 2009, 02:00 PM']They limit the distance your fingers can travel through the strings which allows you to play faster and with a lighter touch.[/quote]

Thanks, Not for me then! (+ it only has 5 strings) I guess that is why it is a signature model, kind of restricted to a particular style. I like to mix it up sometimes soft often times grunt.

In the old days broken strings were a badge of honor LOL :rolleyes:

I need to check out Hadrien I am sure he is phenomenal (/jealous) :)

• 3 months later...

(Found this by searching of threads about ramps..)

I've seen his signature live, even got a photo on my phone, but, it's rubbish (the photo, i mean) - outstanding looking, and, even more, [i]sounding [/i]bass!

Hadrien is also a very nice chap, and I don't really understand, how some people slag him off, when they don't even know him well.

And, Pete, what's wrong with Janek Gwizdala?
He's not my biggest influence, but, he's a very dedicated and talented musician..
Just curious.

[quote name='Faithless' post='698959' date='Jan 2 2010, 06:35 PM'](Found this by searching of threads about ramps..)

I've seen his signature live, even got a photo on my phone, but, it's rubbish (the photo, i mean) - outstanding looking, and, even more, [i]sounding [/i]bass!

Hadrien is also a very nice chap, and I don't really understand, how some people slag him off, when they don't even know him well.

And, Pete, what's wrong with Janek Gwizdala?
He's not my biggest influence, but, he's a very dedicated and talented musician..
Just curious.[/quote]

I think what Pete was getting at is that there have been a few threads that have undeservedly
slagged off Janek in the past,which sucks as he's a top bloke and monster player.I think this thread
was heading the same way(only about Hadrien) at one point.

It happens a lot i'm afraid - people feel that they can freely criticise pros on the internet with little reasoning other than apparent envy of their abilities. It's happened with nearly every one that gets mentioned and it's quite tedious.

FWIW I was at Bass Day 2008 and saw Hadrien, amazing talent but his music was really not something I could dig.

[quote name='Machines' post='699723' date='Jan 3 2010, 05:28 PM']It happens a lot i'm afraid - people feel that they can freely criticise pros on the internet with little reasoning other than apparent envy of their abilities. It's happened with nearly every one that gets mentioned and it's quite tedious.[/quote]

In all honesty I don't think jealousy often comes into it. It's more that "virtuoso" bass players usually play pretty inaccessible music. I can't think of any kind of music that routinely features bass guitar as a lead instrument, except 'trade show music', a cheese-heavy variety of jazz-funk.

And, maybe it's just me, but I think the sound of a bass guitar played in that way is quite tiring to listen to, and quickly becomes unpleasant. If the kid next door was a master of dragging a stick across railings and did it in a supremely funky way I would still ask him to stop after a minute or so.

I saw Hadrien's performances at Bass Day 2007 and 2008. In all honesty, the 2007 performance was very inspiring. I think that was because he came on his own and did his set with a couple of UK musicians, so it was probably an awful lot more "free" playing. In 2008 he had his band, so was an awful lot more rehearsed, and in my opinion took something away from the performance.

In both instances though, I was still in awe of him as an incredible bassist. I wish I had half the talent.

I also saw Janek, and went to see him in a very small club in Altrincham a couple of days later. It was a great little set, and again, an incredibly talented bassist.

Added to that, I had a good chat to both of them after their performances and can honestly say I found nothing about either of them to dislike.

Oh, and apart from that, back on topic.....I like the sig model. :)

[quote name='Thunderthumbs' post='699846' date='Jan 3 2010, 07:12 PM']I saw Hadrien's performances at Bass Day 2007 and 2008. In all honesty, the 2007 performance was very inspiring. I think that was because he came on his own and did his set with a couple of UK musicians, so it was probably an awful lot more "free" playing. In 2008 he had his band, so was an awful lot more rehearsed, and in my opinion took something away from the performance.

In both instances though, I was still in awe of him as an incredible bassist. I wish I had half the talent.

I also saw Janek, and went to see him in a very small club in Altrincham a couple of days later. It was a great little set, and again, an incredibly talented bassist.

Added to that, I had a good chat to both of them after their performances and can honestly say I found nothing about either of them to dislike.

Oh, and apart from that, back on topic.....I like the sig model. :)[/quote]

As much as I like Hadrien's playing,his Bass Day '08 performance didn't do it for me.
Janek's gig in Altrincham was great though-although his Rotherham gig in '09 was even better.

I've linked to this before but it's worth doing again.................

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRwtOibl_eU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRwtOibl_eU[/url]

Glad the misunderstandings all got sorted- this forum has come a long way re sorting it's sh*t out internally.
Nice one.

A little OT but just wanted to say FWIW I'm not a fan of virtuoso bashing for the sake of it- I'm in awe of the talents of Janek and Hadrien despite me not loving EVERYTHING they do. The fact is that both of them could probably impress a broader range of people with a Fender in their hands- no question they could groove incredibly- and they prob do on many a gig we don't know about.

The funny thing is this style of playing is something that our own Urb is aiming for- whenever Mike posts a video of himself trying out these kind of advanced techniques he gets supported and praised, or criticised constructively (if people aren't fans they simply don't post I presume) because he is one of us.
It would be cool if we could extend that kind of respect to guys who are the bigger names but, nevertheless, as they have posted on here and play the bass guitar are one of us also.

Nothing wrong with having an opinion and personal tastes though.

I wish I could express my self solely through my instrument the way these guys can.

Nice bass :)

If this was a forum where everybody liked everything, and the people who disagreed kept quiet about it for fear of upsetting some poor soul's delicate sensibilities, it would've been abandoned by now.

Concensus doesn't make for interesting discussion.

I imagine urb gets a more sensitive response because he doesn't have endorsement deals coming out of his anus and a signature model worth a fortune. Isn't he also a moderator? Well there you go. M. Feraud is likely to be a bit thicker-skinned about these things anyway - given that he's getting invited to perform at events with names like 'Bass Day' he can probably quite safely conclude that he is in fact ace and his critics are in fact stupid plebs.

But forums are all about plebs demonstrating their stupidity. If that didn't happen there'd be nobody to lambast and it would be no fun for anyone.

I think Billy Sheehan's got stupid hair.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='699791' date='Jan 3 2010, 06:31 PM']In all honesty I don't think jealousy often comes into it. It's more that "virtuoso" bass players usually play pretty inaccessible music. I can't think of any kind of music that routinely features bass guitar as a lead instrument, except 'trade show music', a cheese-heavy variety of jazz-funk.

And, maybe it's just me, but I think the sound of a bass guitar played in that way is quite tiring to listen to, and quickly becomes unpleasant. If the kid next door was a master of dragging a stick across railings and did it in a supremely funky way I would still ask him to stop after a minute or so.[/quote]

+ about 6 billion on everything you said.

its very rare that i ever comment on threads about this sort of bass player any more, because i'd say the same thing on every one - absolutely fantastic playing, but i don't want to listen to it.

saying that, when my brother shows me some famous player playing a drum solo he found on the internet, i can tell its great playing (albeit i know nothing about drums), but it gets very boring very fast. i can't bear to listen to things like joe satriani or steve vai either.

i think the reason is that (to me, anyway) its not a song i'm listening to. the bits don't seem to link together, as far as i can tell theres never a chorus and a verse and a proper structure, its just some guy noodling about, admittedly very well. i'd rather listen to a good song any day, with all the instruments playing parts that work, a singer, a structure etc.

[quote name='chardbass' post='700023' date='Jan 3 2010, 09:49 PM']I'm not a fan of virtuoso bashing for the sake of it- I'm in awe of the talents of Janek and Hadrien despite me not loving EVERYTHING they do. The fact is that both of them could probably impress a broader range of people with a Fender in their hands- no question they could groove incredibly- and they prob do on many a gig we don't know about.[/quote]

Like Janek playing for Delta Goodrum on the David Letterman Show......

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwlazLJUY4I"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwlazLJUY4I[/url]

Edited by Thunderthumbs