Why become a member? ×

Volume Pedals

lateralus462

I need some advice on volume pedals - basically I need to get one, but I'm slightly confused as they seem to come in active or passive versions, but I use active AND passive basses.

Also any recommendations on what to go for - I really don't fancy spending all that money on one of the EB pedals or similar (I'm thinking budget end of the market!!)

[quote name='tayste_2000' post='606807' date='Sep 23 2009, 04:28 PM']I have 2 EB Jr's 25k and 250k both are excellent but the 250k has the smoother taper even with active basses.

Cheers[/quote]

I have the 250k one and it always worked brilliantly and evenly with both my old 9v USA jazz Deluxe and with my new 18v one too. I wonder if I'd notice any improvement with the 25k one, but I can't imagine what could possibly be improved! I'm now using the switch in the up position for total evenness but have used it in the down position at times too...

Guitarist in my band has the Ernie Ball one, and it's truly superb. He has just replaced a pot in it, but he basically uses it to simulate pedal steel playing, and therefore hammers it right through every song in our set, so it takes some beating! He had a couple of different pedals on loan while his EB was out of action and none of them came close. It's expensive, but it's money well spent!

[quote name='vegas_hooker' post='607938' date='Sep 24 2009, 05:47 PM']Im sorry. I crawled up your fanny when exactly?

Im well aware of what it is, but having sat in front of my amp youre well placed to question my judgement. Obviously you know best.[/quote]

Jesus, are you not sleeping well? I RESPECTFULLY disagreed.

My opinion is based upon the fact that I fail to see how one pot would sound any different to another pot of the same value. If someone can explain that to me, please do.

I use the Ernie Ball and it's great. It's robust and has a good sweep. Along with
my Korg DT-10,it's the only pedal I use on every gig.

I used the Bespeco for a while but found it pretty nasty and
with a very limited sweep. I also found that I seemed to loose
some of the high end with it.

[quote name='cheddatom' post='608364' date='Sep 25 2009, 08:27 AM']Jesus, are you not sleeping well? I RESPECTFULLY disagreed.

My opinion is based upon the fact that I fail to see how one pot would sound any different to another pot of the same value. If someone can explain that to me, please do.[/quote]

Quality of components

[quote name='cheddatom' post='608364' date='Sep 25 2009, 09:27 AM']Jesus, are you not sleeping well? I RESPECTFULLY disagreed.

My opinion is based upon the fact that I fail to see how one pot would sound any different to another pot of the same value. If someone can explain that to me, please do.[/quote]

No. You laughed at my opinion and tried to tell me what I already know. I dont consider that respectful.

Then the backtrack with the word respectfully.....again.

[quote name='umph' post='609316' date='Sep 26 2009, 02:45 PM']generally the quality of pots doesn't affect the sound so much but the taper can differ from pot to pot which can justify spending more on a decent one[/quote]

Note i said components not pots. some volume pedals are more than a pot.

[quote name='vegas_hooker' post='609318' date='Sep 26 2009, 03:46 PM']No. You laughed at my opinion and tried to tell me what I already know. I dont consider that respectful.

Then the backtrack with the word respectfully.....again.[/quote]

I did laugh at your post, yes, i'm not sure why. I think it's because a volume pedal is made up of so few components, that there is basically nothing to do wrong, and so "bespeco dulls tone" sounded a little ludicrous to me.

Clearly someone else shares your opinion.

Can someone explain to me what "quality of components" means? AFAIK there are no volume pedals using gold connectors. Like I said, a pot is a pot, so what's the difference? I understand the "taper" or "range" of a pot/pedal will vary from brand to brand, but what else? Could certain components really lead to loss of high frequencies?

EDIT: When I said "lol" it wasn't an attempt to offend, insult, or make fun of you or your opinion, I guess the use of the word "respectfully" was to make that clear.

Edited by cheddatom

• 2 weeks later...

Question... I have never used a volume pedal... I am told it goes from amp volume (in toe forward position), to complete mute (in heel down position). Is this true?

What I want is to be able to boost up above the volume the amp is set too, purly to adjust one pedals volume on the fly. So either from amp volume upwards, or... From mute, to amp volume in the middle, to boost at the toe forward position...

Does such a pedal exist?

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='622516' date='Oct 10 2009, 04:36 PM']Question... I have never used a volume pedal... I am told it goes from amp volume (in toe forward position), to complete mute (in heel down position). Is this true?

What I want is to be able to boost up above the volume the amp is set too, purly to adjust one pedals volume on the fly. So either from amp volume upwards, or... From mute, to amp volume in the middle, to boost at the toe forward position...

Does such a pedal exist?[/quote]
I don't think so - You would need to get a volume booster pedal for that. Just set you amp up higher and use the middle position as your regular one, otherwise you start to amplify the sound, and then it really starts to colour the sound, etc and you're just investing in another thing to amplify your tone. It's like taking a photo at 5megapixels on a 10mp camera, then enlarging it to the size of a 10 megapixel shot. It just takes away from the tone of your amp - you're using the amp's amplification less and this pedal's more - which if you've spend a lot of money on the amp seems a bit pointless to me.