Why become a member? ×

Ever Embarrassed Yourself?

Pete Academy

We used to do a regular gig in Morecambe and the landlord was always trying to jump on the drums and play. I asked our drummer what the hell his game was and he told me he was the drummer in Pinkerton's Assorted Colours who had a top 20 hit in the 60s.

I didn't embarrass myself in front of the guy but I [i][b]am[/b][/i] embarrased to say I remember the song well. :)

Edited by niceguyhomer

Joined the long line of fans to meet Marcus Miller after a show and get my T-shirt signed at the Jazz Cafe. I got to him 20 minutes later, said "great gig" He stuck out his hand to shake mine and I was a bit over enthusiastic. I shoved my hand forward, missed, and ended up bending his right thumb backwards.

I met Stu Zender at a music show 'back in the day'...... Actually HE met me after he spotted my Jamiroquai T-shirt and came over to say hi. I asked about his colourful Warwick and all the usual stuff then added a cliche question ....

"So what's it REALLY like being famous?"

He replied "It's sh*t"

2 weeks later, he left Jamiroquai. Lovely bloke though

Edited by woodster

I met Bruce Foxton at at petrol station on the A4 outside Heathrow. I was working for my local authority at the time and dressed in the uniform of donkey jacket and steel toe capped boots. I smiled and said 'I wish I had your job.' He smiled back and carried on filling his car. I found out later that day, The Jam were splitting up.
I usually open my gob to change feet, spent my life doing it.

(edited for spelling mistake.)

Edited by MSL

not mine, but a mates;

we were touring with biohazard in 97', my mate dave, who was driving for us, was a massive fan, complete with biohazard tattoo's. he decides he's hungry after the drive from belfast to nottingham rock city (1st date of uk tour). he goes and gets the biggest, most chilli sauce messiest kebab you've ever seen.

standing at the load-in doors of the venue, dave takes 1st enormous bite of kebab; who rocks up but evan seinfield (dave's hero).

evan says hello to dave.

dave (in awe, mouth full of processed lamb, lettuce, pita and chilli sauce) attempts to reciprocate, but only succeeds in half spraying him with aforementioned kebab.

even walks off in what appears to be semi disgust.

dave hangs his head - 'do you know who that was?' (tosses kebab in bin) 'i'm not hungry anymore'.

i still feel a wee bit bad to this day for gutting myself laughing.

Edited by eightball

I met Josh Homme finally at a bar after their gig in Auckland last year. I think I managed "I've been waiting to shake your hand for years" or something equally as embarrassing. He spent the whole time eying up my girlfriend (she tried to steal his handkerchief too - failed). Troy did get our tickets signed by the band though, so not a complete disaster.

Jessie "the Devil" Hughes tried it on with her too when we saw Eagles of Death Metal. She went back stage with her mate, just to see what all the fuss was about, and he spent about 15 minutes trying to convincer her to leave me and the car at the gig and go with them into town! Cheeky swine!

Have to tell you about what recently happened to me.
Being a massive Kings x fan, i went to see them in January on their recent uk tour, their first gig in the midlands
for almost 5yrs.
After the gig they stayed behind to chat & sign autographs, i was there with a guitarist friend.
Anyway we wait in the queue, i get to him & was speechless just saying "Hello Doug hows it going, can you sign my ticket" , Where as my guitarist friend strikes up a 5 minute conversation with him, shakes his hand & has a picture taken.
Walking back to the car i was silently gutted, in fact i'm still gutted now :blush:

I met Mick Jones (Clash), Paul Cook (Sex Pistols) and Don Letts outside a Big Audio Dynamite gig @ the Hacienda in Manchester many years ago. Mick Jones asked me if fancied meeting them later for a party they were going to......and my response......was, "I can't, my mum will go mad". Mick just stared at me and said, "right, ok" and wandered away.

A few weeks later I saw Husker Du at the International. Bob Mould and Grant Hart were stood near the bar having a drink before the set, and I wandered up to Bob, and asked him.........the time.....yep.....I asked bob Mould what time it was. "Er, ten O'clock" he said, "Cheers" I said before wandering away into a black hole and disappearing up my own rear end.

About ten years ago I went to see the Average White Band at a local venue. Bassist Alan Gorrie (one of two surviving members) spent virtually the entire evening eyeing up my missus from the stage. After the gig the band came out to meet people. Gorrie completely ignored me when I went to shake his hand and started chatting up the missus. One of my heroes...just a sad old git.

I met Steve Harris at their bar in Algarve and he was there with his son. I had met him before for authographs but never like that. So I just told him I loved the new album and if he was enjoying Portugal. He took a photo with us and then we left him with his son and daughter.

He's a very cool guy.

I once met dani from Cradle of Filth and i was suprised how short the guy is. But other than that he's a very nice guy to talk to.

I met JJ Burnel last year at the Manson's guitar show in Exeter. I was first in the queue and had a very pleasant 5-minute conversation with him, got a poster signed, and Jason How, the boss of Rotosound, was kind enough to take a picture of me and JJ which he subsequently emailed me. I managed to resist the urge to prostrate myself on the ground and shout 'I'm not worthy!', and don't think I made too much of a prat of myself. I still get a big kick when I think about it now.

Back in the early 80s I was working in a tiny music shop in Stoke. Dean Friedman (Lucky Star) came in and said he was doing an inetrview for local radio in half an hour. He looked behind the counter and saw a string winder. He paid us a quid for it, unwrapped it and stuck it in his pocket. Before he left he reminded us to tune in for the interview. At the end of the interview, the presenter said: 'And now we have a question for you. The person who calls in first with the correct answer will win a special prize...Dean Friedman's very own personal guitar tuner!'

What a cheapskate!

I met (and made an arse of myself in front of) Mani about 8 years ago in Liverpool whilst he was DJing in the student union bar. In my inebriated state, I took him aside and attempted several times to tell him "You're the man on bass!" whilst standing right in front of the PA. He couldn't hear a thing I said, quickly lost interest and walked off... :)

On a happier note, I also met Michael Manring back in 2005 (I think) after his gig in Reading- he was the nicest guy you could ever wish to meet! I had a good chat with him and asked if he wouldn't mind me interviewing him for my uni final research paper. He said to get in touch and email him whatever questions I had... he was true to his word and replied with some really great answers too!

I got up & played guitar with Todd Rundgren at a gig in the Kentish Town & Country Club in 1995. As I was strapping on the guitar I said "what key are we in Todd?" He replied with the key & I started playing. After a few notes it was pretty obvious that I'd misheard what his reply to my question was as I was nowhere even close to the notes I should have been playing.
I fumbled around the neck until I found a note that sounded OK & carried on with a not very good but at least in key solo, all the while being filmed by Todd with a handheld camera that projected my awful attempts onto some video screens.

If that wasn't embarrassing enough the gig was released as a commercial video, so I have my awful solo captured for posterity on film...... :blush:

I still get a kick out of the fact I played on stage with Todd though. :)

[quote name='Etienne' post='602392' date='Sep 18 2009, 05:57 PM']I met (and made an arse of myself in front of) Mani about 8 years ago in Liverpool ... I took him aside and attempted several times to tell him "You're the man on bass!"

I also met Michael Manring back in 2005 ...[/quote]

... and said "Have you heard Mani?"

Edited by thisnameistaken

This one isn't actually me, but my best mate.
At a Chad Smith drum clinic at Colchester Arts Centre, my mate couldn't think of something sensible to say to Chad - one of his heroes, got rather tongue tied and asked Chad if he was "implessed with East Angria" (sic).
Chad just looked a bit sheepish and rather politely replied "well, er, i don't really get a chance to look around much, but what i've seen is nice".
Not the most hilarious of stories, but funny enough for us to be laughing at him years later..

Many years ago the band I was in played support to Dr Feelgood. Being fans of theirs me and the guitarist went to say hello to them in their dressing room after the gig. When we went in we didn't notice there was a second door next to the one we came in through. After a brief tongue-tied chat we went to leave, my guitarist opened the wrong door and I followed him, closing the door behind me, into the bathroom.

Coming out of the bathroom back into the dressing room where our heroes were trying hard not to burst out laughing was mortifying.

PS. Lee Brilleaux was a really nice bloke and gave us a beer each

Again in the 80s, I was at a trade show on the Burns Bass stand. On that stand were alo those strange drums whose shells protruded out and those amps that Alan Holdsworth endorsed in those days (to be honest, Holdsworth is the king of endorsements), but I can't remember the names.

Anyway, I was browsing the Burns stand and picked up a bass. Suddenly, a guy approached me and asked if I would like to accompany Alan while he demo'ed the amps. The same guy also asked the drummer who was seated on the aforementioned kit (come to think of it, I think he was the srummer out of Supertramp and he invented this kit). This guy then said he was Alan's guitar tech and proceeded to tell us what Alan would be playiong and the chords involved. He rattled off a million jazz chords, and I just nodded. Anyway, on came Holdsworth. He started a chord progression and me and the drummer just stared at each other in disbelief. He attempted to play in time with Alan, and I just hit a few root nortes in the hope they might fit. After about 60 seconds Alan stopped playing and announced he was 'going to the bar'.

[quote name='AdamWoodBass' post='601869' date='Sep 17 2009, 11:46 PM']Met Janek Gwizdala while he was warming up on the Markbass stand and Steve Lawson at the bar at Bass Day 2005 and just didn't know what to say to either of them other than "you're awesome man... I mean... you're really awesome... wow... you're awesome!" That was also quite awkward.[/quote]

I met him and offered to buy him a drink at the bar. He said he didn't drink so I made a super lame joke about your body being 70% fluids and how did he survive - he didn't get it and looked at me like I was a mentalist. Ah well, not my fave player anyway!!