Why become a member? ×

Ukulele Bass!!

EssentialTension

[quote name='samej' post='599231' date='Sep 15 2009, 02:10 PM']Could you not just get a Baritone Uke and put some silicone or polyurethane strings on it for the same effect for much less money?[/quote]
What's scale length on a baritone uke? These are 20".

Would the poly strings fit through the tuners on a baritone uke?

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='599494' date='Sep 15 2009, 06:48 PM']What's scale length on a baritone uke? These are 20".

Would the poly strings fit through the tuners on a baritone uke?[/quote]

A quick google suggests 19" for a normal baritone, although some pages say just over 20. Close enough either way I reckon. You might have to change the tuners or attack them with a file. And the bridge too. Still, I'm quite tempted myself!

I got a lovely baritone uke from The Really Useful Music Company on Ebay ,they import them.Just search For baritone ukulele.
Its a Clearwater,spruce top black fibreglas bowl back like an Ovation,mahogany neck rosewood fingerboard and a finish to kill for.
Fantastic instrument for £119.95.
Lovely tone as well.
I thought I'd put some piccolo bass strings on it but I'm just going to use it as it is for the time being.

• 1 month later...

Bit of a thread resurrection but I tried one of the Kala bass ukes at CC Music in Glasgow last Saturday. The guys in the shop were giving anyone interested a go. It was a total blast. Sounded like an upright (amped up of course). Price was £349. Most fun I've had on a bass in ages.

BTW - the tuners were Hipshots (possibly Ultralites) so they'd be suitable for other strings, could say anything for the neck strength though.

Edited by Doc B

I tried a fretless one at the LIM show in the summer and loved it. I was about to get my Visa card out, thinking I'd be looking at maybe £150 at the most, when the guy told me the price. I got my coat and sauntered off. It really didn't look £400 worth of instrument.

Phil

• 8 months later...