Why become a member? ×

Need advice on envelope filters

1976fenderhead

I've been using a 105q for years, but the damn thing makes my board weigh a ton and it just happens what I'm using it for now I could do with a filter!

So I'm down to these options at the moment and would be very grateful if you could comment on your experience with any of them, or suggest others:

EBS Bass IQ - I haven't yet tried an EBS pedal I liked, and the lack of control knobs makes me a bit nervous. Anyone has experience of these?

MXR Bass Auto Q - Modelled after the 105q so should be a good option for me?

EHX Micro Q Tron - Sounds good on their website but I'm also worried about lack of control and lack of a volume knob. I have the Bass Microsynth and it seems like with the effect on the volume always goes down a bit in a band setting even with all voices up so I'm worried this might have the same problem. If anything, I'd like volume to get a little higher! Could this become a problem?

EHX Q Tron - This has a boost knob so it seems like a safe option, but maybe I shouldn't worry and the Micro Q Tron is actually perfectly fine?

EHX Enigma Q Balls - This one of course looks very interesting: the option of an expression pedal is very appealing, as I could just add one if I needed a proper wah and sell the 105q. Has anyone tried it with expression? Can this pedal do everything that the Q-Trons do? The thing is it sounds more like a synth on the EHX video and I want just an envelope filter!! Can this sound just like a normal auto-wah kind of thing? I'm also worried about lack of volume control, can this be an issue?

I'll obviously try to have a play with all of them eventually but I know it's going to be nearly impossible to find them all so I hope you can let me know your thoughts!

Cheers

I think if you search for envelope filters you'll find plenty of opinions on all the above filters, but maybe not the enigma

For what its worth, from that list, I would pop for the EBS bass IQ, also consider a Boomstick bottom feeder or tonefactor equivalent. The Maxon filter is highly rated but never tried one. Moog filter is good, can use exp' pedals, but needs to be in a loop cos it is a tone sucker

A vintage mutron or Love tone Meatball are probably two of the most desirable out there

As for the enigma, it sounds intresting, looks like they ran it with distortion on all the way thru the video, would have been good to hear the clean sound!

T

From that list, I've only had the Bass Auto Q and the Q-Tron. And from those two I much preferred the Q-Tron.

The MXR has features it doesn't need - the LFO-based auto-wah part of the effect is totally useless - and the envelope part sounds a bit too polite. But the Q-Tron is quite wild and some people find it annoying. Personally I liked it a lot.

I think filters are one of those things where you just have to try them for yourself. What works for one person doesn't for another.

Thanks, after a bit more research I've eliminated the Enigma, I think it does simple envelope filter but it does a lot more too that I don't need so it would be a waste of money. I'm also not too hopeful on the MXR after reading some more. I can try the Micro Q Tron, Q Tron and MXR this week, maybe also the EBS.

I'm really hoping I love the Micro Q Tron because I love the price already 8-D

Where can I buy/try Tonefactor or Boomstick in the UK?

Well I've got the MXR, and it effectively does just one filter sweep sound, you can play a bit but thats your lot really. Then it has the auto-Q bit, which is frankly a bit of a red herring on bass (although I might find a use for it someday).

I would say that that one sound is lovely though, to me anyway. I find the Q-trons dont do it for me at all, they tend to lose all sense of the bass making the sound IMO, totally ott, and are pretty uncontrollable - but both my basses are very high outout 18v active jobbies.

I would suggest you try and find an EMMA Discombobulator though, they turn up second hand every now and then and are supposed to be lovely (and are on my GAS list :))

Out of your list I've played the Q-tron, the Micro Q-tron and the EBS.

I really didn't like the EBS although it has it's fans. Couldn't get it to quack enough for me. I really liked the Q-tron and would have kept it but for it's rediculous foot-print. I thought the micro Q-tron was decent too - although you could hear volume spikes.

[quote name='burno70' post='598087' date='Sep 14 2009, 12:20 PM'].... I thought the micro Q-tron was decent too - although you could hear volume spikes.[/quote]

I got round that issue, by modding mine with a volume pot on the effect output - tames the level spikes.

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='602470' date='Sep 18 2009, 07:23 PM']I quite fancy building a mcMeat - a DIY clone of the LoveTone meatball.[/quote]

That's on my to-do list also. :)

Thanks for the tips, I ended up buying a used EBS Bass IQ from a fellow Basschatter and so far am quite happy with it...

I tried them all in the end:
MXR - might have been that unit but the effect sounded too weak to me...
Micro Q-Tron - rubbish on bass
Q-Tron - Ok-ish but huge and requires a 24v adaptor thus defeating my purpose of getting a small filter to take the wah out of my board

Didn't try the Enigma but I realised it was too much for what I wanted anyway...

EBS seems good - works better with my T-Rex Bass Juice than the wah so I'm happy! So happy I'm getting the Unichorus too :-)