Why become a member? ×

Soldering Cost

JBassist

It's fairly easy to work out.

Take the length of the wire in mm, multiply by the ohmage, divide by the usual hourly labour charge and then add two thirds of your house number, then add, the number of slices your toaster takes.

Answer? probably about £15.00 at a repair shop.

[quote name='mrcrow' post='582864' date='Aug 27 2009, 08:16 PM']ever use glue..? :)[/quote]

They don't use solder now it's IDC Insulation displacement connector. Basically you push the wire into a V shaped groove, that cuts through the insulation to make the connection. I moved onto fibre optics, not much soldering there either.

To answer the OP, not much cost at all, probably just someones time.

Soldering a wire is a piece of piss, usually. I would strongly encourage you to have a go yourself - I find it quite thereputic!

All you need is a soldering iron, wire strippers, and some solder. Strip the wire(s) to be joined first, about 5mm or so of bare wire. Twist the wire slightly to prevent it fraying apart. Heat your soldering iron and melt a small bit of solder onto the tip of the iron to "tin" the iron (this helps spread the heat when you use the iron on the joint you are soldering).

If you are soldering two wires together, twist them together first, then hold the tip of the iron to the joint to heat it (always heat the joint, and then apply the solder to it when it's hot - the heat from the joint, not the iron tip itself should melt the solder. If you just melt the solder onto it, it will be a weak joint and wont last long). Apply the solder to the hot wires themselves, and once the solder has flowed through them remove the iron, allow to cool for 10 to 15 seconds or so, and then apply some insulation tape. Job done!

If you are soldering to a jack or pot, then it's more tricky - again you should hold the wire to the jack/pot, and if possible try and wrap the wire through any supplied holes to make the joint more sturdy. The heat the joint as before and apply the solder. It can take some time to heat up the back of a volume pot, for instance, if you have a low wattage iron, so perservere.

Edited by Wil

[quote name='JPAC' post='582920' date='Aug 27 2009, 09:11 PM']They don't use solder now it's IDC Insulation displacement connector. Basically you push the wire into a V shaped groove, that cuts through the insulation to make the connection. I moved onto fibre optics, not much soldering there either.

To answer the OP, not much cost at all, probably just someones time.[/quote]

yes i have those little v connectors in my hallway box...you need a tool to force the wire in
hell..what does the current know about solder anyway :)

i have seen conducting glue online and have been mentioning it here...so i wondered if it really was used a lot
just to connect to pots etc...no mechanical fixings

cheers

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='583515' date='Aug 28 2009, 01:22 PM']the irons from maplins are OK but the crappy lead-free solder they sell doesn't flow.[/quote]

Yes, entirely agree with that, it's rubbish. Proper lead/tin rosin-core solder is what's needed, not so easy to find these days.

Interesting article on the problems with lead-free solder: [url="http://mae.pennnet.com/Articles/Article_Display.cfm?Section=ARTCL&ARTICLE_ID=238657&VERSION_NUM=2&p=32"]http://mae.pennnet.com/Articles/Article_Di..._NUM=2&p=32[/url]