Why become a member? ×

Does a refret harm the value of a vintage/rare bass?

neepheid

As the subject says really. The frets on my Gibson G-3 are pretty worn - too worn to dress imo. If I was to get it refretted (by someone who knows what they're doing), would it be detrimental to the value of the instrument in the same way as for instance refinishing?

[quote name='neepheid' post='578970' date='Aug 24 2009, 12:43 PM']As the subject says really. The frets on my Gibson G-3 are pretty worn - too worn to dress imo. If I was to get it refretted (by someone who knows what they're doing), would it be detrimental to the value of the instrument in the same way as for instance refinishing?[/quote]

Not to the same degree as a refin but still detrimental. Originality is king in the vintage market - we're talking guys who get upset 'cos one of the pickguard screws isn't original, so you can imagine the effect of a refret! The degree it impacts on the value will be determined by a number of factors such as the originality or otherwise of the rest of the instrument.

[quote name='Kev' post='578982' date='Aug 24 2009, 12:49 PM']....the collector would have to be really, really anal. Providing that it is done perfectly, that is.[/quote]

You know any collectors who aren't :)
Doesn't matter how good the job is, let's face it, a lot of retro work is probably of better quality than the original craftsmanship (think 70's Fenders).

[quote name='Beedster' post='578983' date='Aug 24 2009, 01:53 PM']You know any collectors who aren't :)
Doesn't matter how good the job is, let's face it, a lot of retro work is probably of better quality than the original craftsmanship (think 70's Fenders).[/quote]

+1 on that Beedster. It depends on what you want it for. If you love the bass and want to play it regardless then go for it but if you really are worried about the value then lock it in its' glass case now!!!!

[quote name='neepheid' post='578970' date='Aug 24 2009, 12:43 PM']As the subject says really. The frets on my Gibson G-3 are pretty worn - too worn to dress imo. If I was to get it refretted (by someone who knows what they're doing), would it be detrimental to the value of the instrument in the same way as for instance refinishing?[/quote]

what do you think the guys did in the days when your bass was new
wait 20 years to get the frets done
its an instrument not a museum
if you cant bear to have it refretted...get another bass and store that one away

I think it diminishes the value to a collector, but it would probably be worth around the same for someone who was going to actually play it. I know I'd rather have frets in decent nick if I was buying a vintage bass to play regularly - surely most of us on here would feel the same?

It depends on what you've bought the bass for.

I've made the decision to overhaul my 97 'ray with the birdseye neck by replacing the nut with a completely different colour one, fitting a new (non-EBMM original) pickguard and have a John East MM preamp with active/passive switch being installed cos I know I'll be keeping the bass indefinately...and hopefully by the time it's classed as 'Vintage', I'll be famous enough for it to have increased in value exponentially beyond the price of it if it had been all original! :)

Depends on the bass as well. For example a refret or any other maintainence work (necessary due to use of the instrument) on a Wall doesn't seem to reduce it's value at all (increases it if anything). As a guide, if the value of the bass is greater that a new (and probably better made/playing!) comparable model, then originality matters (since it's essentially a collectors instrument).

Of course you will devalue the bass. Change one screw and it’s not original any more! If you have an original instrument that is collectable you can either keep it in original condition and have the pleasure of owning an appreciating asset, or pimp it and trash the value. Your call!

I had my 79 ray, from new refretted in the mid to late 80s as I wore the originals out, but I did stress to do a careful job and not to refinish ithe fingerboard, its a maple board, its now 2009 and if some one wants to buy it get yer big fat wad out or i'll keep it, saying that, it aint for sale anyway, so erm...no to your question if done right its not a problem. IMHO.

• 3 months later...

[quote name='Beedster' post='578981' date='Aug 24 2009, 12:49 PM']Originality is king in the vintage market - we're talking guys who get upset 'cos one of the pickguard screws isn't original[/quote]

Oh no, this is really bad news.

My MM Cutlass I had a brass nut fitted when I bought it back in the late 80s - therefore it is not 100% original.

I guess that means it's worthless now... :)

[quote name='matski' post='670149' date='Nov 30 2009, 04:47 PM']Oh no, this is really bad news.

My MM Cutlass I had a brass nut fitted when I bought it back in the late 80s - therefore it is not 100% original.

I guess that means it's worthless now... :)[/quote]

Absolutely, it means its worth exactly £7.59p. I'd like 1st dibs please!

:rolleyes:

Speaking as someone who has been researching the vintage market quite heavily in recent months there does seem to be a big gulf between what sellers want and what buyers want. Also certain basses are set at sky high cost because buyers know that eventually there will be somebody who is happy to pay the sky high costs. Surely the reason for buying is also a factor. A proper collector would be influenced by a refret but somebody who just fancies the retro vibe may want to play something that plays better. By and large I agree with the sentiments posted here so far

[quote name='neepheid' post='578970' date='Aug 24 2009, 11:43 AM']As the subject says really. The frets on my Gibson G-3 are pretty worn - too worn to dress imo. If I was to get it refretted (by someone who knows what they're doing), would it be detrimental to the value of the instrument in the same way as for instance refinishing?[/quote]

on a really old bass..well played over the years there must be some repair and refurbishment done
renewing frets isnt the same as changing neck..even though that is a possibility
are your frets original...?

its the quality of work and materials so that the finished job is 'indistinguishable from the original'
:)

Edited by mrcrow

• 3 weeks later...

Nothing worse than seeing an instrument made for playing locked away in my opinion...

Went to a guitar show once they had all sorts there. half of the instruments had missing or rusty strings locked away behind glass. ah well i wont get into collecting vintage gear beacuse i would be too scared to gig with the things!