Why become a member? ×

Strange Sadowsky test...

Musicman20

Hey

I went to GuitarGuitar in Newcastle this weekend.

Great shop, helpful guys, and lots of Fender/Aguilar/Sadowsky/Phil Jones/TC Electronics gear in stock.

I tested a Sadowsky, hoping for endless tone and basically the ultimate Jazz bass. It was an Ultra Vintage Metro with maple neck, natural finish, 4 string.

My thoughts? Disappointed :)

The tone wasnt setup pefectly on the TC head and cabs, but still, this bass should shine through.

What did I like? Neck, construction, the binding and inlays, the overall aesthestics.

What didn't I like? No Fender-Jazz huge growl....more sweet, but no aggression. I fiddled for ages, tried with fingers and a pick, changed the head settings. I also thought the plain black plastic cover on the back looked....wrong.

I don't know...it just wasn't right. I didn't like the control knobs, I didnt like the plain hardware, and it weighed more than I thought. I was desperate to get the ultimate Jazz tone...but it couldnt nail it like I thought it would.

Surely this could not have been a 'dud'?

For £1900.....Im shocked.

I then tried the Fender 75 USA RI. THAT gave ultimate tone, especially on the bridge pickup alone. Lots of bite. The weight of the bass was also much better, MUCH lighter! I also liked the traditional stamped hardware etc.

Im shocked....but I suppose it will save me money. Im glad I tested one out. But I was not massively impressed. The neck was INCREDIBLE on the Sadowsky though.

I am by no means slating anyones instruments. I know thousands love these basses. What went wrong?!

A lot of people say that it's in the context of a band mix that a Sadowsky really shines, but sadly I don't have one so I can't confirm that! Lots of folks love them, so perhaps the tone just isn't for you...

I have regular bouts of Sadowsky GAS :)

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='578489' date='Aug 23 2009, 08:01 PM']Hmm.. maybe it was an active / passive thing?

Just out of interest, was that aged 'burst Sandberg PM4 in there?[/quote]

I THINK it was still in. I did also visit Soundslive so I may be mixing them up. But Im sure I saw one aged Sandburg in GuitarGuitar.

I think I agree on the passive/active thing...I only really get on with the active eq on Stingrays for some reason. Lots more to test, but I was shocked at this Sadowsky.

A Sadowsky isnt a Jazz bass..Its Sadowsky's take on a Jazz bass. there is no point in looking for that classic tone...If you want that buy a Fender Jazz?!

This bass might not have been set up right..My old Sadowsky was a tone monster, the preamp is superb...Just because a bass is shaped like a Jazz bass doesnt mean its going to sound excactly like one...People put too much expectation on Sadowsky...

Your only shocked becauase it didnt sound like a Fender Jazz..I will bet all my basses, that the Sadowsky was way better made than the Fender,superior hardwear, better pikups, thats why its more expensive

Sound is subjective, of course, I'd be more concerned that the rest was ok.. like the general finish, quality of the H/W..and the deal-breaker would be the string spacing at the nut and neck and the neck profile.

But if the sound doesn't get you, this is all out of the window.

Funnily enough I tried a NYC a long time ago..and the sound was the thing about it that I liked... it was the rest of the stuff, I couldn't take to...

Pretty much the same with a Ken Smith, but that did play well as well as give you that KS sound, IMV..

But I am wary of thinking that ALL models are like this... so the mantra goes, try before you buy... you only have to like/love the one you are buying.

[quote name='bubinga5' post='578528' date='Aug 23 2009, 08:47 PM']A Sadowsky isnt a Jazz bass..Its Sadowsky's take on a Jazz bass. there is no point in looking for that classic tone...If you want that buy a Fender Jazz?!

This bass might not have been set up right..My old Sadowsky was a tone monster, the preamp is superb...Just because a bass is shaped like a Jazz bass doesnt mean its going to sound excactly like one...People put too much expectation on Sadowsky...

Your only shocked becauase it didnt sound like a Fender Jazz..I will bet all my basses, that the Sadowsky was way better made than the Fender,superior hardwear, better pikups, thats why its more expensive[/quote]

I agree!

Sadowsky's aren't ment to sound like a classic passive fender! They are designed and built to be a more modern sounding instrument!

also in reply to what Joe (Toasted) said, i think he what he means is they really do sound best in a live mix or when recorded. as a "solo" bass they aren't amazing.... but play them in a band, especially through a large PA rig and it will become clear why so many people rave about Sadowsky's!! :) :rolleyes:

Like I said, I didnt want anyone to be offended. I have been testing high end instruments for years, but always missed out on Sadowsky due to my location.

They always seemed to me, in my mind, as the ultimate modern Jazz. Style, craftsmanship, etc.

I think its odd that they don't sound so good alone. For that price, I would expect it to sound good even when its going through the cheapest practice amp around.

The P/J test WOT did made that bass sound absolutely stunning....! This is why Im shocked at this one I tested.

I dont know, I probably expected too much. I think the new American Series Fenders were a lot better than I hoped for, and so that definitely changed the way I view things.

What Im saying is, overall, sound wise the 75 RI was much nicer, and fuller, and aggressive. There may be a number of factors for this, like strings, setup etc. Maybe a NYC instrument would really show me what they are capable of.

I've heard soundtests of this bass, and it was great! I dont expect it to be a Fender Passive tone, but a VERY VERY good Jazz tone....in fact the best ive ever heard! Expecting to much me thinks!

I'm with you, OP! Tried a few Sadowskis recently and was totally unimpressed. Great build but the tone just didn't do it for me. No matter how nicely built I find Warwick, Sadowski, Lakland and other basses to be, I prefer the tone of a cheapo MIM Fender to any of those basses I've tried. In fact, I also preferred the tone of the cheap Skyline Laklands to the US-made ones!

The only one that I might consider to replace a Fender Jazz at the moment, would be a US neck-through Spector. Totally different tone, but one I loved probably just as much! Shame the European equivalents don't sound half as good (I suppose due to lacking an Aguilar preamp) and the price tag on the US ones is totally out of my reach...

I have owned two Sadowsky's, one NY and one Metro, and neither lasted too long in my armoury. Nice basses but not 'special' enough for me to keep - especially given their price. I ended up with a Celinder which gave me everything that I was looking for in a jazz bass, with the nicest neck I have ever played, period.

I've owned two NYC Sadowskys: a '95 fretted maple neck/ash body with Sadowsky pickups which sounded fantastic (but had to sell it because of a very nasty dead spot that I just couldn't live with) and a custom made '96 fretless (#2424 - who has it now?) with EMGs which just didn't sound right. Great basses - but not for me and probably not for you too?

[quote name='JanSpeeltBas' post='578771' date='Aug 24 2009, 08:47 AM']I've owned two NYC Sadowskys: a '95 fretted maple neck/ash body with Sadowsky pickups which sounded fantastic (but had to sell it because of a very nasty dead spot that I just couldn't live with)[/quote]
Y'see, I've got nothing against Sadowskys... Warwickhunt's PJ is lovely, but the next time someone has a go at Fender QC these words will echo through my head...

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='578772' date='Aug 24 2009, 08:50 AM']Y'see, I've got nothing against Sadowskys... Warwickhunt's PJ is lovely, but the next time someone has a go at Fender QC these words will echo through my head...[/quote]

I don't think it's that anybody has got anything against Fender... it's just that alot of the ones that make it to the UK are in desperate needs of setups etc before they leave the shops. I don't think any of us would argue with the quality of historical Fenders. Today is all about saving a dollar.

Somebody at Fender is doing something right though - the new Squier stuff really has upped it's game. Good thing really - the quality of all instruments in that price bracket are getting better by the year.

Like all mass produced basses really - you have to try as many as you can to find one that sings to you.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='578518' date='Aug 23 2009, 08:33 PM']In what way?[/quote]

Overly bright, clanky and unforgiving to poor technique.

Playing with the band, which is what I personally play bass for - I don't think there are many better sounding instruments.

[quote name='Toasted' post='578786' date='Aug 24 2009, 09:16 AM']Overly bright, clanky and unforgiving to poor technique.

Playing with the band, which is what I personally play bass for - I don't think there are many better sounding instruments.[/quote]

Defo - the Sadowsky's home is in the mix. But me and Toasted have had this discussion before.

[quote name='JanSpeeltBas' post='578771' date='Aug 24 2009, 08:47 AM']I've owned two NYC Sadowskys: a '95 fretted maple neck/ash body with Sadowsky pickups which sounded fantastic (but had to sell it because of a very nasty dead spot that I just couldn't live with) and a custom made '96 fretless (#2424 - who has it now?) with EMGs which just didn't sound right. Great basses - but not for me and probably not for you too?[/quote]

The reason I decided to move the Metro was to trade for a Wal bass. However, the bass had was the pronounced deadspot on the 7th fret of the G string.

Edited by alanbass1

I thought this might attract some interest!

I'm definitely willing to try more, but at £1900....there should be 0 'dud' basses. It seems they have gone into fairly large production now since the Metro was introduced.

Fender have had really bad days with QC; I have been a customer with Fender Jazz bass problems on the series before the S1 switch came in. It juat wasnt right at all, I got my money back and bought a MM Stingray instead, (the black one in my signature....thats how i ended up with two!).

But, I definitely think thats behind them. They lost control of 'their' design to the high end Fender clone companies, so now they have stepped up their own instruments to be as good as they can at their price range.

I harp on about it, but wow, my new Fenders are really good. Miles above any other USA Fender's I tried, (please note, not any true vintage Fender's, I have never been lucky enough to even touch one!).

The Jazz has such a sweetspot to it, and the P is like a thumping tank of a bass....such a powerful tone for such a simple design. One of the bass magazines noticed this and said the wood/new bridge help with this.

I don't think there are any "bad" Sadowskies, they all go through Brooklyn and are looked at by one of a handful of skillful people.

Just because you didn't like it doesn't mean it's a bad one. I think Stingrays are some of the worst basses I've ever had the misfortune to play - that's clearly a minority opinion.

[quote name='Toasted' post='579383' date='Aug 24 2009, 06:55 PM']I don't think there are any "bad" Sadowskies, they all go through Brooklyn and are looked at by one of a handful of skillful people.

Just because you didn't like it doesn't mean it's a bad one. I think Stingrays are some of the worst basses I've ever had the misfortune to play - that's clearly a minority opinion.[/quote]

Ah I know. Again im not attacking it, they look fantastic. Surely the pickup height etc would have been correct whilst I was testing it? Maybe not....

Again, the neck and construction were absolutely spot on.

Ill try and test another with my type of amp and see how that goes!

:)