Why become a member? ×

Custom order fender custom shop 59 p bass!

wesfinn

Hi all thought i'd share this with you all. just recieved my custom shop custom order P bass. It's easily one of the best basses i've ever played and definitly the best relic job I've seen! so specs were: slab dark rosewood board 9.25 radius, light relic C profile neck but pretty thin at the nut end and quite chunky towards the heel. alder body, finish, silver and gold primers, candy apple red and then olympic white over the top. then super heavy relic'd so all 4 colours are clearly visible. the bass has a matching headstock with light relicing around the edges so the red comes through. I'm one super happy chappy right now! :) only took 4 months for them to build too!

Very very nice!!
Whats the thinking behind the 4 colours? surely that wasn't common practice in '59?!

What's the deal with Custom Shop now? The website is a bit lame....only one Precision model, The Pino. One Time Machine Jazz, the '64. With the rest being made up by artist models, surely there is more!?

Si

[quote name='Sibob' post='573724' date='Aug 19 2009, 01:05 AM']Very very nice!!
Whats the thinking behind the 4 colours? surely that wasn't common practice in '59?!

What's the deal with Custom Shop now? The website is a bit lame....only one Precision model, The Pino. One Time Machine Jazz, the '64. With the rest being made up by artist models, surely there is more!?

Si[/quote]

Thanks! the 4 colours thing was just because i wanted a unique cool looking cool! it was actually common in early fender basses from the factoryto have one colour over another to save them having to build new bodies once one had been finished for stock, whether they would of sprayed over CAR im not sure.
Unfortunately Fender CS only make those models as standard now. anything else is a custom order! They really should bring back the 59 though. the pino is good but its not enough choice. the same with the jazz they should offer a 62 model and also a 68.

Absolutely stunning sir! You are clearly a man of exquisite taste. I just sold a Fender Masterbuilt Jazz - only because it was fretless and I couldn't play it. From what I've seen, the CS is putting out basses that are as good as any hand-built, high-end instruments

Thanks Loz. the custom shop stuff is amazing at the moment. this one is only a team built one, but you wouldnt think it. Jake from FCS was saying that there is one guy who does all over the colour over colour relics! hes obviously been getting a lot of practice judging by mine!

I must admit that i wasn't expecting it to be this relic'd but im glad it is now i have it! :) it's nice not worrying about marking it!

[quote name='Sibob' post='575122' date='Aug 20 2009, 09:15 AM']So, hypothetically, if I was to order a '68 jazz or some-such, would it cost more than the stock '64 Relic?

Si[/quote]

Hi Si.

It probably wouldnt be much than a stock '64 to be honest. Probably come out at just over £2k i reckon.

• 3 months later...

so I have been playing this bass pretty much exclusivley for the last 3 months and i thought i would put a little review of how it has been for me.

SOUND: The sound I've been getting from this is quite simply 100% P bass! My style and sound favours very much more to having the tone completly rolled off most of the time. However I always bring it up to about 3/4 for tracks when using a pick. The Pickups are quite powerful so i usually roll the volume back a smidge where it defintly sounds sweetest. sounds great for most styles rock, jazz, pop, blues etc.

BUILD: The best made Fender Instrument I've ever had my hands on! everything is spot on. excellent fret work, neck profile exactly as i asked for it to be made.

FEEL: I did think it would take a while to get used to the relic finish neck but i can honestly say I havn't really noticed it. very smooth, definitly feels natural. perfect weight for me too at 9lb's.

OVERALL: This is by far the best bass I have owned. A real players bass with plenty of vintage vibe without the issues of finding a decent original. I am very happy with the speed that Fender took to make this (3 months) and shall be ordering a custom build 62 Jazz in gold sparkle with matching headstock as soon as I can!