Why become a member? ×

Bass Centre

Sean

Sorry Alex - didn't mean to be rude!

What I was driving at is that you're away from all the other shops in the Camden area, and - unless you already know that The Bass Gallery is there - you're unlikely to spot it as you go by and, even if you do, you may well assume that it's closed.

Neon! That's what you need! A great big f*ck-off flashing sign. In pink.

:)

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='61362' date='Sep 16 2007, 08:27 PM']Sorry Alex - didn't mean to be rude!

What I was driving at is that you're away from all the other shops in the Camden area, and - unless you already know that The Bass Gallery is there - you're unlikely to spot it as you go by and, even if you do, you may well assume that it's closed.

Neon! That's what you need! A great big f*ck-off flashing sign. In pink.

:huh:[/quote]

im working on it... but u have no idea how expensive pink neon is :)

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='61362' date='Sep 16 2007, 08:27 PM']Neon! That's what you need! A great big f*ck-off flashing sign. In pink.

:)[/quote]

I can just picture the uproar when a giant pink neon sign goes up, flashing "F*CK OFF! Invitation Only."

I bought my Warwick Infinity SN5 there. Loved the place. It didn't feel like a shop - felt like a bass club.

[quote name='Sean' post='61227' date='Sep 16 2007, 04:55 PM']It seems that Barry and his crew are super-arrogant and give the impression that they are doing [i]you[/i] a favour. Maybe one day I'll pop in there after a couple of pints of Thatcher's and a kebab and stink the shop out for them! :huh:[/quote]
I'm not going to speculate on what the cause is, but there have been issues with their service in the past. To be fair they've been quick to sort things out then but I think they really need to get some new accountants in or develop a financial management system where one off payments are logged in the system as part of the cycle by the staff. At the moment it seems like the accountants get the details and then nothing happens. But even then I don't have too much of a problem, if they get the cheque to me via another means. What I REALLY object to is being asked to wait another 4 weeks.

[quote name='R,5,R,5...' post='61056' date='Sep 16 2007, 10:09 AM']Well that sounds familiar... CK, do as I did -- go there and refuse to leave until they give you a cheque. Doesn't mean that you'll see any proof of sale though; but you just might get your money.[/quote]
If things got to that point, I would rather phone Barry Moorhouse up and have a frank discussion with him, asking some blunt questions about customer service. If I don't get the cheque by the end of this week I will probably do that and I'm sure he's going to be very apologetic and reasonable about it saying that what happened was unusual and its not good enough etc. However, it seems that history keeps repeating itself, which is a real shame.

[quote name='thegallery' post='61397' date='Sep 16 2007, 10:00 PM']im working on it... but u have no idea how expensive pink neon is :)[/quote]
Alex, good to see you a few weeks back when Ped and I dropped in one Saturday to oogle the Vigier. Looks like I'll be bringing the Smith 6 to you to sell on consignment if it doesn't sell here.

Andy from Bass Centre phoned me today and has apologised for the poor service and answered some of the questions raised in this thread. He has promised to get my goods shipped today and I thank him for sorting it out.

I've edited my initial post as I made an unfair reference to a member of their staff and I by no means wish to cause personal offence to any of the shop assistants. So apologies to the guy I spoke to on Saturday.

I had poor communications with BC 18 months ago when I waited weeks for my Ashdown rig - it wasn't the wait that upset me it was the lack of updates and vague replies when I chased them. When I came to order my GK combo I went elsewhere despite BC offering better prices.

I hope that threads like this one have the desired effect and that retailers learn that poor customer service is not acceptable. In our shrinking world consumers have the freedom to take their business overseas and with such superb service and a very attractive exchange rate Bass Central in the USA is bound to benefit if UK suppliers fail to reach expectations.

[quote name='Sean' post='61624' date='Sep 17 2007, 12:58 PM']I hope that threads like this one have the desired effect and that retailers learn that poor customer service is not acceptable. In our shrinking world consumers have the freedom to take their business overseas and with such superb service and a very attractive exchange rate Bass Central in the USA is bound to benefit if UK suppliers fail to reach expectations.[/quote]

Amen

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='61629' date='Sep 17 2007, 01:02 PM']Sean, can we assume that BC responded so positively [i]because[/i] of this thread, or would it have happened anyway?[/quote]

I'd like to think that they responded positively because they were trying to sort out a customer issue and that's the way it should be done - I have no doubt that Andy at BC is a stand up decent chap who likes to see satisfied customers - who wouldn't?

We must remember that communities like ours are quite powerful at spreading the word about anything and they certainly can influence consumer behaviour so retailers who are aware of such forums would be missing an important line of feedback if we were ignored, especially in such a niche market. As long as we keep our criticisms aimed at the business and not at individuals within the business than I think our issues will be listened to and hopefully acted upon.

[quote name='thegallery' post='61531' date='Sep 17 2007, 10:02 AM']good to see you too....cool.... more than happy to try and sell her for you...
be good

al[/quote]

Alex - I don't blame you for the security with that airsoft shop down the road! These little plastic balls could seriously ding some of your basses ;0)

ped

Employer: "so, what qualities can you bring to the Bass Centre?"
Interviewee: "well, I'm classically trained and a right arrogant c*** who enjoys nothing more from my work day than ignoring, frustrating and being generally obnoxious to any potential customer who might pay my wages"
Employer: "perfect! When can you start??"

Yeah, these guys really are incredibly rude. They make a judgement of you as soon as you walk through the doors which then determines the level of rudeness they display. You're lucky to be ignored! They have a poor selection of basses in my opinion, and those that are worth looking at are harshly overpriced. Any other store on Denmark street that sells basses is more worth visiting.

We should start a boycott campaign website and get someone with a bit more empathy running that place... Seriously! Worse than anything it gives a bad impression of bassists and musicians in general to anyone who may just be browsing.

[quote name='Sean' post='61644' date='Sep 17 2007, 01:16 PM']As long as we keep our criticisms aimed at the business and not at individuals within the business than I think our issues will be listened to and hopefully acted upon.[/quote]

Yes, but the individuals who've been working there when I've visited - I'm going again on thursday, I can update this - have all been highly miserable, uninterested buffoons more interested in staring at the cash register than answering your questions. Jesus, there's a million people who'd love to work there! Why employ the moodiest bunch?? No, really!!

Ultimately people vote with their wallets. I'm sure I'm not alone in stating that I haven't bought anything from them since their Wapping days..... and I'm not about to unless there are some MAJOR improvements in their stock, their attitude AND their customer service. They really need to wake up and smell the coffee....

After all, why shop there when we KNOW we will get GREAT service from the Gallery, Bass Central etc....?

[quote name='theosd' post='61657' date='Sep 17 2007, 01:22 PM']Employer: "so, what qualities can you bring to the Bass Centre?"

Yeah, these guys really are incredibly rude. They make a judgement of you as soon as you walk through the doors which then determines the level of rudeness they display. You're lucky to be ignored! They have a poor selection of basses in my opinion, and those that are worth looking at are harshly overpriced. Any other store on Denmark street that sells basses is more worth visiting.[/quote]

Don't want to be pedantic, but there's a bit of completely understandable confusion here.

The Bass Centre is the one in E1 (sometimes called Wapping). The shop in Denmark Street is The Bass Cellar.

Almost inevitably, much of The Bass Centre is in the cellar, while none of The Bass Cellar is in a cellar.

Still with me? Good.

Anyway, they're equally rude ...

My experiences of the shop have been nothing but good I have to say. Though on all occasions I have been there to actually buy stuff, so that might have something to do with it. Perhaps one day I'll pop down for a browse and see how different they'll treat me. But the Gallery does have fantastic service. Even for a quick browse, if they are not too busy they will actually give you the time of day and aren't condecending.

well, I managed to speak to Barry this afternoon. As predicted, he was full of apologies and the only explanation he could offer was they'd been "disorganised". Disorganised as it took him 2 weeks to sign a bloody cheque. It took them over 4 weeks to implement back up procedures.

I didn't let rip as I don't think it would have done any good, Barry would have just accused me of being unreasonable and its obvious to me that they're not going to change.

Cheque is supposed to arrive tomorrow or Saturday but I am NOT going back to shop or sell there again. F*** 'em.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='63349' date='Sep 20 2007, 10:16 PM']well, I managed to speak to Barry this afternoon. As predicted, he was full of apologies and the only explanation he could offer was they'd been "disorganised". Disorganised as it took him 2 weeks to sign a bloody cheque. It took them over 4 weeks to implement back up procedures.

I didn't let rip as I don't think it would have done any good, Barry would have just accused me of being unreasonable and its obvious to me that they're not going to change.

Cheque is supposed to arrive tomorrow or Saturday but I am NOT going back to shop or sell there again. F*** 'em.[/quote]

frankly, after R5R5's problems, I'm amazed you didn't just use the Gallery :)

My package finally arrived yesterday (strap locks and strap ordered on 3rd July) and as I was fitting it to my bass I vowed never to deal with the Bass Centre again. There are so many other people out there providing excellent service that we do not need to tolerate Barry & Co's behaviour.

Big up while I'm at it for Jeannie's Pick Guards in the USA - ordered a pick guard Wed night and it's already on the way via USPS Priority. I overpaid the postage and it was refunded within minutes. All questions answered promptly too. They may have dodgy foreign policy over there but they know how to treat customers.

[quote name='Gwilym' post='63391' date='Sep 20 2007, 11:35 PM']frankly, after R5R5's problems, I'm amazed you didn't just use the Gallery :)[/quote]
I'd sold 4 other basses with 2 of the sales going super smoothly and BC coughing up on time (or close to it) on a third. But the delay in getting the cheque for the other Modulus of 7 weeks was forgivable once. Barry coughed up quickly when Napper drew his attention to the bitchfest that was happening on Bassworld over R5R5's Smith.

This time I didn't mention Bassworld, Basschat or anything because why should I expect different service to anyone else?

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='61722' date='Sep 17 2007, 03:42 PM']Don't want to be pedantic, but there's a bit of completely understandable confusion here.

The Bass Centre is the one in E1 (sometimes called Wapping). The shop in Denmark Street is The Bass Cellar.

Almost inevitably, much of The Bass Centre is in the cellar, while none of The Bass Cellar is in a cellar.

Still with me? Good.

Anyway, they're equally rude ...[/quote]

You forgot to add that Although the Bass centre is sometimes called wapping it is in fact no where near wapping.
The Wapping shop has long since gone. I remember seeing lots of big names in that store back in the good ol days.
Now in the Bass Centre thats in E1 (Liverpool st) i see lots of big c.... well, you know.

I live near the BS and if they had the stock i would use them. they seem cheap and i can walk there and back but unfortunately each time i call them to see if the stock is in i get told "no but we can get it in in a few days". I fallen for that a few times in the past. One good thing i will say though is that that they have loaned me gear to cover my gigs if my order hasn't turned up in time. I agree about the lack of intrest in there as well though. I get the feeling that im intruding and they will call the police to eject me. Dan was a great bloke to deal with but he didnt last long. He offered to re string and set up a bass there and then when i was trying it out because i mentioned the strings feeling oldish.

Ive dealt with Alex at the Gallery as well (Hi Al) and thats a great place to spend some time. Especially now its bigger. I was amazed how much higher end gear they have. and you can get all the help you want there with no pressure. Also the prices are good and the stock is available.
Im hoping to get my Jazz to them someday to get a P-bass pick up put in. They have a great workshop as well.

Im not sure about the pink sign though. Being in that part of Camden you dont want to really want everyone in the area knowing the shop is there IMHO. Seems well secure though.