Why become a member? ×

North East Mini Bass Bash - Video

wateroftyne

But I always thought The EV's defined the Fender cabs...
JBL's were desirable as well, IIRC...

As I don't trust my crappy PC speakers, I'll pass on the audio ....but this is what I would expect

a) 2x15 Fenders with EV's ??.. I expect the EV's to have a hi-mid presence whch you would have to
be careful with... but the big boomy cab size would help this roll off..
I couldn't use one, but I think this could be a very good sound for some players.. esp with a pick..
You need a transit for this... but a bollocking cab which will last eons..

b... Vintage... like the idea of the 6" speaker..
Boogie do this very well in one of their cabs. I like the thinking but
the box seems too much of a compromise, to my mind..
Apparently it is very shallow and light...and looking at the front of the cab..the panels look very thin.
This would help weight but may not add up to a substantial box... and for that size..what are you gaining.. ? you still need and estate or truck. Really hope the cab is plywood and not an MDF..
Visually looks nice in the pic..

c) Love the vintage look of the DB's but prefer a slightly bigger cab...must hear their 1x12 paired up though...

Bergs) .. what was the thinking of 10's against the 15's...not really a like for like, but ok as a general comparison of what was to be had...
Having said that, this could be the way for me to go having had an old SWR Goliath which was rear ported and had IMMENSE bass response but never boomy.. A total back-breaker tho, so 2 2x10's might work nowadays for me...

As a general rule on big stages, I prefer a 2x10 and a 15 for the bottom. On smaller stages do you want the bass to be very toppy ..knowing it will blossom a few mtrs away...or go for bass right in front of it..
If this is stage monitoring only, then you can take your choice.. if it is the only bass sound in the room, then this needs to be considered more, IMV

Edited by JTUK

[quote name='JTUK' post='570003' date='Aug 15 2009, 03:44 PM']c) Love the vintage look of the DB's but prefer a slightly bigger cab...must hear their 1x12 paired up though...

Bergs) .. what was the thinking of 10's against the 15's...not really a like for like, but ok as a general comparison of what was to be had...
Having said that, this could be the way for me to go having had an old SWR Goliath which was rear ported and had IMMENSE bass response but never boomy.. A total back-breaker tho, so 2 2x10's might work nowadays for me...

As a general rule on big stages, I prefer a 2x10 and a 15 for the bottom. On smaller stages do you want the bass to be very toppy ..knowing it will blossom a few mtrs away...or go for bass right in front of it..
If this is stage monitoring only, then you can take your choice.. if it is the only bass sound in the room, then this needs to be considered more, IMV[/quote]

Some of your observations that I can respond to. :)

A pair of DB1x12's is IMHO more than the sum of the parts. I was mightily impressed with the Barefaced cab, though I won't be changing. To elaborate; this wasn't a scientific or even staged test, it was a bunch of locals getting a bunch of cabs together to see 'what if'. As such I established that as expected the pair of 2x15 cabs appeared to put out more bottom end than my Aggie 12's which leads me to the conclusion that as I have loads of bottom end with my Aggies when playing with my bands, in the venues that I do, the 2x15's would be 'too much' bottom end. As has been observed the Aggies have plenty of mids/highs/presence when compared to the other cabs which means I am on a win/win staying with the Aggies; "for my needs, in my live situation".

re. the Berg 10's v 15's. As above we just got the gear together that 4 bassists use and did a bit of A/B/C/D comparison. :rolleyes:

[quote name='Musicman20' post='569952' date='Aug 15 2009, 02:32 PM']Ah yes, sorry, it just seemed weird that it was $400 or so cheaper than the UV...but I suppose the UV's are fairly high whack money anyway. Ive sent an email to Sadowsky seeing how much they are shipped here......probably dont have enough...but I need to find out! guitarguitar and thomann are selling Sadowskys but the prices are far too high. I think they do sell the Metros direct to overseas customers still. Anyway, enjoy it, a stunning bass.[/quote]

Can't see how you could import a Sadowsky Metro form the US for less that the UK shops are quoting. Bass Central sale prices for 4 string Metros range between $2100 and $2600 (this for the UV series) They charge almost £300 shipping then there's import duty and vat to pay

[url="http://www.basscentral.com/2003/sadowsky.shtml"]http://www.basscentral.com/2003/sadowsky.shtml[/url]

[quote name='JTUK']b... Vintage... like the idea of the 6" speaker..
Boogie do this very well in one of their cabs. I like the thinking but
the box seems too much of a compromise, to my mind..
Apparently it is very shallow and light...and looking at the front of the cab..the panels look very thin.
This would help weight but may not add up to a substantial box... and for that size..what are you gaining.. ? you still need and estate or truck. Really hope the cab is plywood and not an MDF..
Visually looks nice in the pic.[/quote]

The cab is ply, afaik, and it'll probaby fit on the back seats of a hatchback.

There's no 6" driver in it, either.

It sounded very nice.

I don't think the fact that the cabs have different drivers is important when comparing them. A speaker cab either does the job you need or it doesn't. We need to stop looking at the numbers in the specs and use our ears instead.

The more speakers I try I find that the actual size and number of drivers in a cab is becoming less and less relevant.

What matters is:
1. Do you like the tone?
2. Is it loud enough?
3. Is the weight manageable?
4. Do they fit in your chosen mode of transport?
5. Can you afford it?

That's what's important.

[quote name='JTUK' post='570003' date='Aug 15 2009, 03:44 PM']a) 2x15 Fenders with EV's ??...[snip] You need a transit for this... but a bollocking cab which will last eons..[/quote]
It came in the boot of an estate, with the back seats up and a rack-mounted GK head alongside it. But indeed, it will last eons. It already has. :)

[quote name='JTUK' post='570003' date='Aug 15 2009, 03:44 PM']b... Vintage... [snip] Apparently it is very shallow and light...and looking at the front of the cab..the panels look very thin.
Visually looks nice in the pic..[/quote]
Indeed, the ply's very thin, but the cab is braced incredibly well. The walls don't flex [b]at all[/b] when you press them. I'd be quite happy to sit on the Vintage. In fact, my son does. It's as substantial as it needs to be.

As for an estate or truck... I have a Nissan Micra. Admittedly, I have the back seat down, but it fits comfortably, along with my power amp, pedalboard and as many basses as I own. With my old Peavey cabs, I had to use my wife's mega-ultra-size battlecruiser of a car.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='570021' date='Aug 15 2009, 04:04 PM']I don't think the fact that the cabs have different drivers is important when comparing them. A speaker cab either does the job you need or it doesn't. We need to stop looking at the numbers in the specs and use our ears instead.

The more speakers I try I find that the actual size and number of drivers in a cab is becoming less and less relevant.

What matters is:
1. Do you like the tone?
2. Is it loud enough?
5. Can you afford it?

That's what's important.[/quote]
+10000.

The Vintage fits 1-4 nicely for me. As for number 5... well, that's what credit cards are for, right? :)

[quote name='BigRedX' post='570021' date='Aug 15 2009, 04:04 PM']I don't think the fact that the cabs have different drivers is important when comparing them. A speaker cab either does the job you need or it doesn't. We need to stop looking at the numbers in the specs and use our ears instead.

What matters is:
1. Do you like the tone?
2. Is it loud enough?
5. Can you afford it?

Never a truer word said.

I meant to add to my observation above, that the other aspect of me owning any gear is that for a live rig it has to fit criteria as you've described; transportability (will it fit in my car along with 1/3 of my bands PA without dropping the seats), portability (can I walk through a doorway without turning sideways/struggling or smacking my knuckles), audibility (can me/the band/the audience hear what they are meant to hear in a variety of circumstances), smileability (does it make me happy owning it... which includes tone and cost). To a greater or lesser degree many cabs would meet my requirements but as it stands the Aggies do it best 'on the whole'.

[quote name='JTUK' post='570003' date='Aug 15 2009, 03:44 PM']. Really hope the cab is plywood and not an MDF..[/quote]

As far as I know..
MDF is more sonically 'dead' than Plywood and therefore makes a pretty decent material for cabs.
The downside is the weight!

[quote name='Mr.T' post='570049' date='Aug 15 2009, 04:49 PM']MDF is more sonically 'dead' than Plywood and therefore makes a pretty decent material for cabs.
The downside is the weight![/quote]

The other downsides are that it's very brittle and prone to crumbling and moisture damage. It's a great material for home hi-fi cabs (especially if you use CNC machining so it can be folded/bent into shape) but not for anything that has to be moved because you have to use such thick panels to get sufficient strength.

I'm pretty certain the Vintage will slide onto the back seat of any car with rear doors - that's where the shallowness really helps. And if you put the seats down it'll fit in any 3-door hatchback. So the only cars that are out are 2-door coupés (or my old Vauxhall Nova saloon but I think they're almost extinct...)

We never got an accurate weight for the Vintage - I think BottomEndian measured his at 54lbs. If that's close to accurate then with my new high-tech plywood it should come in under 50lbs. I shall let you know once the first of this new batch is done (I have bought some accurate scales!)

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='570071' date='Aug 15 2009, 05:23 PM']my new high-tech plywood[/quote]

Care to elaborate a little on this Mr C? Are we talking about birch facing on a lightweight core?

I've used Poplar ply in the past which is just stupidly light, but it lacks the strength and surface finish of birch, so a composite of the two would be about the ultimate cab material.

A

[quote name='Alien' post='570204' date='Aug 15 2009, 08:29 PM']Care to elaborate a little on this Mr C? Are we talking about birch facing on a lightweight core?

I've used Poplar ply in the past which is just stupidly light, but it lacks the strength and surface finish of birch, so a composite of the two would be about the ultimate cab material.[/quote]

Yep, not birch facing but another very hard wood on a poplar core. My sums suggest a 30% weight saving on the plywood in the cab, so maybe 20% of total weight. It's stiffer too! Downside is the cost but as the cabs are so cheap for what they are there's some wiggle room on that front. The other downside was having to move a ton and a half of it on my own...

Alex

[quote name='Platypus' post='570015' date='Aug 15 2009, 03:57 PM']Can't see how you could import a Sadowsky Metro form the US for less that the UK shops are quoting. Bass Central sale prices for 4 string Metros range between $2100 and $2600 (this for the UV series) They charge almost £300 shipping then there's import duty and vat to pay

[url="http://www.basscentral.com/2003/sadowsky.shtml"]http://www.basscentral.com/2003/sadowsky.shtml[/url][/quote]

Direct from Sadowsky themselves is a bit cheaper...esp shipping wise. Im looking into it as I type right now. If its not a huge saving ill go with a UK shop. If its £200+ then US it is :)

Then again Im gassing for so many basses, I dont know if Ill have the money for one!

• 2 weeks later...

What matters is:
1. Do you like the tone?
2. Is it loud enough?
5. Can you afford it?

This is such a wonderfully erudite and condensed gem, is there any way to sticky that post in the amps section or just pop it in the wiki?

I dont think anyone with real experience on the forum could really argue with it. It blows a load of myths out of the water, and is probably the best advice you could give for someone looking to buy.