Why become a member? ×

Smallest Amp You've Gigged With

acidbass

[quote name='ped' post='567449' date='Aug 12 2009, 11:57 PM']IT COUNTS!!

[sub]It counts :'([/sub]

:)[/quote]

Well I've played an acoustic bass with no monitoring at all. outside. couldn't hear the bass. 'twas dark so couldn't see the fretboard. was drunk so couldn't care less anyway.

Ha Beat That!

[quote name='Prosebass' post='567196' date='Aug 12 2009, 07:34 PM']Not a gig but when practicing at home in my teens I used to sit on my bed with the headstock of my bass against a big wooden headboard that I used as a sound-board. Sounded pretty good but was rather uncomfortable.[/quote]

I used to do this as well but against my wardrobe - probably the biggest rig I've used in terms of height !

On topic I played the Dublin Castle a couple of times with a Hartke kickback 15 watt which seemed to do the trick and I carried it on the tube on a little trolley :)

[quote name='Prosebass' post='567196' date='Aug 12 2009, 07:34 PM']Not a gig but when practicing at home in my teens I used to sit on my bed with the headstock of my bass against a big wooden headboard that I used as a sound-board. Sounded pretty good but was rather uncomfortable.[/quote]

[quote name='Delberthot' post='567305' date='Aug 12 2009, 09:07 PM']The same effect can be had as the headboard one by playing sitting down with the strap attached to the bass and going over the top of your left ear[/quote]

[quote name='thunderbird13' post='567747' date='Aug 13 2009, 10:35 AM']I used to do this as well but against my wardrobe - probably the biggest rig I've used in terms of height ![/quote]

I hope Alex is noting all this for future Cab designs..... :)

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='567815' date='Aug 13 2009, 11:46 AM']I once did a gig with a 5w practice guitar combo. What made it worse was the fact that the gig was an open-air festival on the Mir Space Station and was thus performed in the vacuum of Space.[/quote]

I hate those gigs, there's no atmosphere.

Sorry.

I played an acoustic night at the Labour club in Northampton (the Barcelona of the North, the locals call it...)
It was a strictly no amplification night, but I was promised an acoustic bass guitar would be there.
The girl bringing it never turned up, so I ended up using my fretless Jack bass that I'd chucked in the car on the offchance, through.......
wait for it......

A "Smokey" fag packet guitar amp, that I had in the gig bag. The battery was on the way out.
It just sounded like an angry wasp.
There were about 8 people in the audience and it was a 100 mile round trip. Unpaid too.
Not my fave ever gig. By a long way. In fact, about 100 miles.

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='567815' date='Aug 13 2009, 11:46 AM']I once did a gig with a 5w practice guitar combo. What made it worse was the fact that the gig was an open-air festival on the Mir Space Station and was thus performed in the vacuum of Space.[/quote]

mir ran a 27v DC supply...no wonder you were quiet.

:)

I regularly use just a GK MB combo or one EA1x10 with EA or Clarus amp head. A lot of my gigs are "almost acoustic" or no drums so I can get away with it..I've learned the hard way that very very few drummers are comfortable playing these quiet gigs.

Rather than get frustrated at having to keep the volume down I like to look at these gigs as a chance to have a really good full sound - well, it keeps me busy anyway! Bit more boost at 42 Hz anyone (or would 46 be better in this room)??

I have also done a lot of big PA jobs with no amp, just the Sansamp and using the stage monitors. This is almost impossible to predict, and you never know what it sounded like anyway...but seems to work ok, if you can suspend any belief in what you are hearing whilst playing the gig.

I've gigged my Line6 Studio 75 Watt 1x10" in a small pub with no PA support and won't be doing that again any time soon! Used the same combo with PA support and it was fine.

My first gigging amp was a Crate 80 Watt 1x15". I think the 80 Watt rating must have been PMPO rather than RMS because it would really break up if I tried to compete with the guitar amps (both 100 Watt Marshall/Fender combos).

[quote name='acidbass' post='567111' date='Aug 12 2009, 06:38 PM']After a gig I played on Saturday where I was supplied with a 15w Kustom Bass combo, I was wondering if anyone else on here has had the same painstaking experiences?

It truly was hell, I couldn't hear a single note I was playing and had a total lack of confidence because of it. The guy who supplied backline was thoroughly accosted afterwards!

Oh well, it was a one-hand lift I guess.

Danny[/quote]

Same thing happened to me back in February, only it was a [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=7919&st=1240&p=400582&#entry400582"]10w combo[/url].

S.P.