Why become a member? ×

Smallest Amp You've Gigged With

acidbass

After a gig I played on Saturday where I was supplied with a 15w Kustom Bass combo, I was wondering if anyone else on here has had the same painstaking experiences?

It truly was hell, I couldn't hear a single note I was playing and had a total lack of confidence because of it. The guy who supplied backline was thoroughly accosted afterwards!

Oh well, it was a one-hand lift I guess.

Danny

Smallest amp I've ever gigged with is the 120 watt Hartke Kickback 12 which, to be honest, did a sterling job and only struggled once when playing to around 100 people at a Christmas party at Old Trafford.

I gigged outdoors last weekend with an ashdown after 8 combo and a guitar cab plugged into the ext out with a lead that looked like it had been made out of the remnents of an 80's matsui hi-fi... And, it wasnt mic'd or DI'd. When i questioned this i got the reply "Bass aint directional mate, you'll be fine".

Ignorance would have been bliss.

I have the Kustom 15w bass combo... actually I think it's 16w but it's the one you used. It's great for acoustic stuff actually (& I'm taking mine to an otherwise all acoustic rehearsal tomorrow) but I wouldn't want to do a gig with it necessarily. I mention this because I'd hate for people to misunderstand the theme of the thread i.e lack of power and not a knock on a perfectly serviceable practice amp. I nearly bought a bigger Kustom amp off the back of mine.

Anyhow I think 100w is about the smallest I go for when doing small gigs.

Used to do smaller gigs with my Hartke A70, always put in a stirling effort tbh. If we had PA support i used it as a monitor, kicked back at the front of stage

I've done a few bigger gigs with knackered old Traces, one where the volume knob wouldn't go past 2 (it kept springing back) and the other where something was loose inside the amp, causing a rather unpleasant distortion sound. Same PA company both times btw, different amps though. Wouldn't have minded but both times they insisted the bands use their amps

Did a gig with a peavey microbass (20W?) once. The gig was me on a p-bass with my microbass and 2 semiacoustic guitars and vox running through a 4x10 + 100W marshall head. We'd decided beforehand to keep it really low as it was only to about 30 peeps on a sunday afternoon in a pub. Nice and easy, nice and mellow. It worked really well, nice clear sound round the room. Would have used the same setup again if the band hadn't folded due to megalithic prima-donna flouncing. :)

[quote name='stevie' post='567191' date='Aug 12 2009, 08:27 PM'][quote name='ped' post='567181' date='Aug 12 2009, 08:19 PM']
No amp at all (in ear monitors!)[/quote]
Any advance on this, folks
?
[/quote]

Well It's cheating a bit isn't it. I mean it's not as if there was a pub full of people crowding round a set of sennheisers trying to hear the bass solo. :rolleyes:

I think the op was referring to inaudible monitoring rather than low power monitoring, in which case my entry's probably null and void too. :)

[quote name='Prosebass' post='567196' date='Aug 12 2009, 07:34 PM']Not a gig but when practicing at home in my teens I used to sit on my bed with the headstock of my bass against a big wooden headboard that I used as a sound-board. Sounded pretty good but was rather uncomfortable.[/quote]
This definitely gets my vote! :)

[quote name='Clarky' post='567147' date='Aug 12 2009, 07:01 PM']Did a gig atthe Grand Union in Kentish Town last year where the amp was a years-old 15W Trace Boxer practice amp - aaaarrrggh

You can see it - just! - at the back of this photo [attachment=30746:Kismetik_GU7.JPG][/quote]

I think I've used that exact same amp! :rolleyes:

I did an Up All Night gig a few years back and when the guy I was talking to didn't know what the provided backline would be, I took the trouble to go down the week before and check it out. Nice Trace head and 4x10 - the following week that tiny boxer was sitting there! :)

[quote name='bassman2790' post='567122' date='Aug 12 2009, 06:47 PM']Smallest amp I've ever gigged with is the 120 watt Hartke Kickback 12 which, to be honest, did a sterling job and only struggled once when playing to around 100 people at a Christmas party at Old Trafford.[/quote]

Coincidentally, this is the same amp I'd been using for gigs for the last year or so, until some reliability issues forced me to retire it unfortunately. It was a real shame, because I loved that amp!

Danny

[quote name='Clarky' post='567147' date='Aug 12 2009, 07:01 PM']Did a gig atthe Grand Union in Kentish Town last year where the amp was a years-old 15W Trace Boxer practice amp - aaaarrrggh

You can see it - just! - at the back of this photo [attachment=30746:Kismetik_GU7.JPG][/quote]Hi Clarky, do you know my old singer and guits band, Jimmy and the Destroyers?

[quote name='steve-soar' post='567395' date='Aug 12 2009, 10:17 PM']Hi Clarky, do you know my old singer and guits band, Jimmy and the Destroyers?[/quote]
Nope, but I have seen them advertised playing at the 12 Bar on one of its 'London Calling' punk nights (we have done a few of those and have another one lined up on 29th Aug). Any particular reason you ask Steve?

Sorry to go off topic. Mind you I think the minimum size limit of amplification had been reached when it got to leaning the bass against furniture!

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='SteveO' post='567247' date='Aug 12 2009, 08:02 PM']Any advance on this, folks
?

Well It's cheating a bit isn't it. I mean it's not as if there was a pub full of people crowding round a set of sennheisers trying to hear the bass solo. :rolleyes:

I think the op was referring to inaudible monitoring rather than low power monitoring, in which case my entry's probably null and void too. :)[/quote]

IT COUNTS!!

[sub]It counts :'([/sub]

:lol: