Why become a member? ×

Selling advice

Dan.Hall

I've just received two very similar emails like this from two potential buyers.

My asking price for the bass is £200.

Is this a scam?

[i]Hi , Glad to know you still have the Guitar for sale, i'm okay with your asking amount and i will offer you £300 I will need your full name that will be on the cheque, your address that the cheque will be

send to and your mobile phone number you can always be reach on. I have a shipping company that will handle the picking up of the Guitar from your location, they will come

for the proper pick up arrangement from your location after the cheque has clear...... You will receive a cheque of £2,000 in which you will deduct your money from it and

send the rest to the shipping company for them to come to your location for the pick up. I hope to read again from you soon with your details for payment requested above

so we can move on.
Thanks
*(Name)* [/i]

Why offer me an extra hundred pounds on the asking price, and why then plan to send me a £2,000 cheque which i must use to send the funds elsewhere?

It just feels very suspect, especially since i've had two nearly identical proposals in the space of 2 days.

Any advice would be great.
I don't want to get ripped off!!!! :)

DAN

Stick it up for sale on here, ebay and the local ads and someone somewhere will take it if the price is right, no idea what you are selling so I've no idea if £200 or £2000 is fair! :)

If you receive any further messages like the one you have mentioned, just remember; 'if it sounds too good to be true... it is!' and then walk away. Unless you do the right level of research, you may miss the odd bargain or missed opportunity but you'll save in the long run by not being ripped off. :rolleyes:

[quote name='alexharvay' post='561712' date='Aug 6 2009, 09:20 AM']If you're selling on this forum then it's probably a good idea to let mods/admin take a look.[/quote]

Never thought for one minute it might be generated from an ad on here. :)

It looks the typical eBay / Gumtree scammer communication.

Total scam mate, I had someone try to do it to me with a car I was selling about 5 years ago. I thought I'd go along with it just to confirm my suspicions, after all I wasn't going to lose anything. They send you a very authentic looking business cheque which of course is fraudulent. I told my bank everything when I deposited the cheque and they confirmed it.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='561786' date='Aug 6 2009, 10:36 AM']If a man comes to your door and says he's a doctor and tells you to drop your trousers - don't do it!

He isn't a doctor. He just wants to see your dick.

I wish someone had told me earlier.

I feel such a fool.[/quote]

Was he a 'basschatter' ? :)

[quote name='OldGit' post='561773' date='Aug 6 2009, 10:23 AM']Well known scam. You bank the checque, your account shows it as paid, you release the goods, and pay them the extra dosh and then the cheque bounces...
Double stuffed.[/quote]

That makes sense.
I knew it sounded dodgy but now i think about it, it's obvious.

I've had that scam a few years ago. It got as far as me getting a cheque which was handed to local Police but the seller sems reluctant to collect it. I didn't lose out.

What happens is the cheque comes from a business account. It's made out with an extra 0 on the amount - so an item for £90 gets a cheque for £900. They say they trust you, someone collects the item you sold for £90 with £810 cash (they might let you keep £100 for being "honest"). A week later your bank realises it was a fake & you are down several hundred. And the item you sold!

I'm so sorry to hear about someone trying to scam you. It must have been very upsetting, and I know how you must feel.

Five years ago, my father was Finance Minister in the Republic of Gabon and was entrusted with $15,000,000 by the the then President. As you may know, the entire cabinet perished in an air crash when the pilot was poisoned by his wife's enemies.

If you send me your bank details and a cheque for $2,000, I will open an account for you and transfer the larger sum. Then you send me $7,500,000 and we have split the money, yes?

In the name of the Lord, I am begging you to do this for my 10 fatherless children. Happy is the man who sends me money and will wait several weeks before realising he has been done up like a kipper.

Hosannah!

The Reverend Mrs Anna Christensen Remobopse

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='561853' date='Aug 6 2009, 11:46 AM']I'm so sorry to hear about someone trying to scam you. It must have been very upsetting, and I know how you must feel.

Five years ago, my father was Finance Minister in the Republic of Gabon and was entrusted with $15,000,000 by the the then President. As you may know, the entire cabinet perished in an air crash when the pilot was poisoned by his wife's enemies.

If you send me your bank details and a cheque for $2,000, I will open an account for you and transfer the larger sum. Then you send me $7,500,000 and we have split the money, yes?

In the name of the Lord, I am begging you to do this for my 10 fatherless children. Happy is the man who sends me money and will wait several weeks before realising he has been done up like a kipper.

Hosannah!

The Reverend Mrs Anna Christensen Remobopse[/quote]
What he said!