Why become a member? ×

Looking to go BEAD

Orphix

Hiya all,

First post and immediately seeking advice!

Have recently joined two bands - one that uses standard tuning and another that requires down tuning to a low B (to perform old school, big riffage metal).

Currently only got the one bass (EB MM 'Ray) which can cope with the low tuning after a lengthy setup quite handsomely but really rather have this bass tuned in standard to perform all the funky in-ya-face type stuff for the other band. Obviously using the same bass for both bands is a nightmare due to having to change the setup and have never got on with any 5-string (awkward, I know).

So looking to go to a BEAD tuning and buy another bass to fill this requirement - any suggestions? Any advice in general??

Was kinda thinking about a Fender P - or am I completely off the mark with that idea??

I used an Ibanez P clone tuned (& strung) BEAD - 130 B string.

There's actually less stress on the neck with BEAD than with EADG, so you may not need to adjust the truss rod.

You'll probably have to widen (NOT DEEPEN!!!!) the nut slots. Apart from that, that's it.

I'd pick up a semi-decent squier P or Jazz from a Cash Converters or the like..........

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FENDER-SQUIER-PRECISION-BASS-GUITAR_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem3ef73c1197QQitemZ270435881367QQptZUKQ5fMusicalQ5fInstrumentsQ5fGuitarsQ5fCVQQsalenotsupported"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FENDER-SQUIER-PRECIS...alenotsupported[/url]

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Precision-P-Bass-Goth-Tattoo-Design-Squire_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem1e57bef996QQitemZ130321152406QQptZUKQ5fMusicalQ5fInstrumentsQ5fGuitarsQ5fCVQQsalenotsupported"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Precision-P-Bass-Got...alenotsupported[/url]

G.

Took me a little while to get used to a 5 after a 4 but once I did, I've never looked back.
One thing to bear in mind for tuning BEAD is scale length - 34" is great for a 4 but (imho) 35" or 35.5" sounds better for a bass with a low B - keeps it tighter and clearer. That's down to presonal preference of course.

The bigest problem is when teaching a newbie student who has a 4, and they're studiously copying my finger movements - the extra string can confuse easily. I tend to take it off for the lesson and put it straight back on afterwards :)

[quote name='Orphix' post='556581' date='Jul 30 2009, 09:06 PM']Hiya all,

First post and immediately seeking advice!

Have recently joined two bands - one that uses standard tuning and another that requires down tuning to a low B (to perform old school, big riffage metal).

Currently only got the one bass (EB MM 'Ray) which can cope with the low tuning after a lengthy setup quite handsomely but really rather have this bass tuned in standard to perform all the funky in-ya-face type stuff for the other band. Obviously using the same bass for both bands is a nightmare due to having to change the setup and have never got on with any 5-string (awkward, I know).

So looking to go to a BEAD tuning and buy another bass to fill this requirement - any suggestions? Any advice in general??

Was kinda thinking about a Fender P - or am I completely off the mark with that idea??[/quote]

how does a B sound on your present equipment...i couldnt get it to sound well on my boy racer combo

Ibanez do a 'him out of Slipknot' signature version of the ATK bass set up as BEAD so that may be a good bet. A status Graphite would be another good bet with the graphite neck and the standard 35" scale on current headed basses. Status aren't cheap mind!

Timmy C from RATM uses a Custom Shop Fender Jazz strung BEAD, so a USA made Fender should be up to it too.

[quote name='trent900' post='556653' date='Jul 30 2009, 10:37 PM']Borrow a 6-string from someone, suffer with it until it don't seem so bad, then get a 5-string. Suddenly you'll love it :)[/quote]

You joke but thats exactly how I got into playing 5-Strings. I used to play 4-strings and one day got a Status S-2 6-String and played that for years. I always like the low B but had no real use for the high C string. When I got my first 5-string it just felt right and now I only play 5-string basses.

Mr. Crow's point (earlier in this thread) remains valid ... there's no point going with a low B if you play through a tiny/cheap/crap combo. Make sure your rig can handle the tuning before you commit.

I played at a jam last night in a smallish pub where the non-regular house band bass player brought along a full GK rig with a 410. I had my Prosebass Custom 5-string with a 35" Lakland neck. The sound of the low B was just awesome.

I played the same bass on Tuesday at The Spice Of Life jam in the West End, going through a tiny Hartke thingy with a single 10" speaker and it was utterly pathetic.

• 4 years later...

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1249665237' post='562953']
That's a nice bass....... :)
[/quote]

I have this Bass "Taranis" (4 string) it has a very nice sound. I am trying to find out why "Warwick" discontinued making those (any ideas?)

[quote name='NickH' timestamp='1249044416' post='557104']
Took me a little while to get used to a 5 after a 4 but once I did, I've never looked back.
One thing to bear in mind for tuning BEAD is scale length - 34" is great for a 4 but (imho) 35" or 35.5" sounds better for a bass with a low B - keeps it tighter and clearer. That's down to presonal preference of course.
[/quote]

Longer scale length for low B in most cases is a complete red herring. Unless you go to 36" scale or longer (and then the higher tuned strings tend to suffer) an extra inch on the overall length of the string makes little difference to the feel and sound of it. Getting a decent feeling and sounding low B is more about the overall construction of the bass then a slight increase in the length. IME anyone who makes a 35" scale bass with a good low B is equally cable of making a good 34" scale one as well.