Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Chiropractors Must Be Destroyed

Happy Jack

I managed to bring my GAS under control for a while, and got my collection down to single figures for a few precious weeks. Then it all went pear-shaped.

Meanwhile, the back trouble that wiped me out from Boxing Day through to the end of January has started to flare up again.

Putting 2 + 2 together, I’m interpreting this as a sign that God wants me to sell my heaviest basses and relieve the strain on both my lumbar region and my wallet.

First up is my heaviest bass, in fact the heaviest bass I’ve ever owned at 11 lbs – the [b][size=4]Prosebass Custom V [/size][/b](2008).

[attachment=29919:DSCF2824.JPG]

More piccies: [url="http://tinypic.com/a/r1xe/3"]http://tinypic.com/a/r1xe/3[/url]

For full history and spec, take a look at: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=52472"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=52472[/url]

To get the best out of the Bartolini’s, the bass is now equipped with a ToneStyler pot (take a look at [url="http://www.stellartone.com/ToneStylerBass.asp"]http://www.stellartone.com/ToneStylerBass.asp[/url] ) which cost $110 but is worth every cent.

The money raised from selling this will pay for Paul’s next commission from me … an ultra-light, chambered Pico-bass. The target is for the new one to weigh only half as much as the old one.

I really like Paul’s work, it’s just the weight I need to watch.

[b][size=4][color="#FF0000"]£500 [/color][/size][/b], or £550 including hard case, if collected from Chiswick (London W4) or the West End (London WC1).

I will post/courier, but at the buyer’s cost and the buyer’s risk.

Next, amazingly, we have my second heaviest bass – the [b][size=4]Fender Roscoe Beck [/size][/b](1996). [b] [color="#FF0000"] [size=4]*** SOLD *** [/size][/color][/b]

[attachment=29920:CIMG0062.JPG]

More piccies: [url="http://tinypic.com/a/yd4w/3"]http://tinypic.com/a/yd4w/3[/url]

This is just gorgeous, so mint that you could put it on roast lamb. It was originally designed to provide an awesome range of tones from a passive bass, but a previous owner has fitted a rather nice on-board Aguilar pre-amp and there’s now pretty much nothing this bass can’t do.

34” scale with 22 frets, but this is physically a big bass; in the rack next to my desk it’s over an inch ‘taller’ than a Fender P or a Lakland DD.

String spacing is identical to a Fender P at the bridge (one of many things I like about this bass), tapering to almost J width at the nut, but this of course means that the neck is commensurately wider. One and seven eighths at the nut.

The neck is not as deep as a Fender P, more or less identical in depth to a Lakland DD (which is a Jazz neck), and therefore the extra width of the neck means a shallower curve.

The switchery and knobbery means that it can do all sorts of jolly clever things which I’m not going to describe here – there are some good articles & reviews if you Google them.

I’ve only had this bass for four weeks and it has already pushed aside a 1975 Fender P, a Lakland Duck Dunn, a Shuker Elite, a … well, you get the picture. If I’m not careful, this will become my first-choice bass because it’s just so damned competent.

This would not be a good idea. It weighs less than 11 lbs. But not a lot less. If I want to play this thing all the time, I’ll need to wear a weight-lifter’s support and no, I‘m not joking.

Basically I need to sell it before I get too attached to it.

[b][size=4][color="#FF0000"]£950 [/color][/size][/b]including hard case, if collected from Chiswick (London W4) or the West End (London WC1).

You’re never going to guess what’s coming up next … my third heaviest bass! This is an all-original, near-pristine, Maple-Glo [b][size=4]Rickenbacker 4001 Fretless [/size][/b](1974).
[b] [color="#FF0000"] [size=4]*** SOLD *** [/size][/color][/b]

[attachment=29921:DSCF1317.JPG]

More piccies: [url="http://tinypic.com/a/pk76/3"]http://tinypic.com/a/pk76/3[/url]

Fretless Ricky’s didn’t get into the catalogue until 1984, so this one was a factory special order. It has red dot markers down the binding which seems to be unique; I’ve never seen these on any other Ricky anyway.

The phenolic fingerboard has a phenomenal mwah and is completely unmarked. The bass is complete right down to the original horse-shoe pickup cover, and of course comes in the original Rickenbacker hard case.

This is just a lovely, lovely instrument.

It weighs a lot less than the two basses listed above, but it’s still over 9 lbs and my quest for lightness knows no bounds.

[b][size=4][color="#FF0000"]£1200 [/color][/size][/b]including hard case, if collected from Chiswick (London W4) or the West End (London WC1).

We’ve done three so far.

It’s time for number four.

You’re not going to guess this one.

You’re really not.

And now for something completely different – the [b][size=4]Lindert Locomotive T-Bass VI[/size][/b] baritone guitar (1999-ish)!

[attachment=29922:DSCF2723.JPG]

More piccies: [url="http://tinypic.com/a/r1y1/3"]http://tinypic.com/a/r1y1/3[/url]

OK, this has nothing to do with weight. It’s a lovely thing, and someone should be playing it, and right now I’m not. I’m still too busy learning to play bass.

Rather than try to describe it, I suggest that you check out the photos, look up the reviews, and then ask any questions you want.

[b][size=4][color="#FF0000"]£450 [/color][/size][/b], or £500 including hard case, if collected from Chiswick (London W4) or the West End (London WC1).

Very happy to field questions from potential buyers or those with idle curiosity. :rolleyes:

Times is hard, and there ain't so much cash about just now.

I'd prefer cash sales where possible, and I might not be insulted if you made an offer (though you never can tell ... :) ), but I'll also listen to interesting trade deals. To me, "interesting" means that they don't involve cheap, predictable basses or mainstream, current basses.

One trade I'd be very interested in would be something involving a really nice mid-70's Fender Jazz, something that would be a good match for this: [url="http://tinypic.com/a/vdcz/3"]http://tinypic.com/a/vdcz/3[/url]

I'm very happy to do business with bassists in Europe, slightly more reluctant to deal with Transatlantic players (logistics - not personalities!), not at all keen on going further afield than that.

When dealing with BassChatters, please take it as read that I am genuinely delighted to meet any and all of you – if you want to come round and try before you buy, that’s really not a problem for me.

Edited by Happy Jack

Thanks Nik.

AFAIK, the Aguilar has just dropped in to replace the passive tone controls. All the other knobs/switches do exactly what they're supposed to.

So two tone controls have been replaced by a mid-boost/cut and a stacked treble & bass boost/cut.

The guy I got it from (someone I trust) told me that the mod was completely reversible, requiring only a replacement pickguard - though I'll be damned if I can see why!

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='555650' date='Jul 29 2009, 10:03 PM']I'll buy your lightest bass HJ... then you can afford to pay your chiropractor! :)[/quote]

You can't buy it until Paul has built it for me!

:rolleyes:

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='555653' date='Jul 29 2009, 10:04 PM']Just out of interest (one owld git with a fecked back/shoulder to another) what are you going to keep/use? :)[/quote]

5's =
Shuker Elite Prototype, just half a pound lighter than the Ricky but a very special bass.
Lightwave Sabre VL weighing just 8 lbs.

4's =
Fender Precision, weighs the same as the Shuker.
Lakland Duck Dunn, weighs a bit more. I should really sell it for the same reason as the others, but I just love it too much.

Fretless =
Ibanez 2366 FLB (1972/73), weighs less than the Fender or Shuker, and I prefer the string spacing to the Ricky.

Hofners ... I've kept my five favourites, and the [i]heaviest [/i]of them weighs 6 lbs. My chiropractor hates them.

Those 10, plus the yet-to-be-built chambered PicoBass, would leave me with 11 basses.

Hmmm. That's not really single figures, is it?

[quote name='Sibob' post='555656' date='Jul 29 2009, 10:05 PM']My gf LOVES the Lindert baritone! :)
Apparently she saw the fist headstock on one from ebay a while ago and feel in love

Si[/quote]

Bring her with you on Sunday then!

You do play guitar, right?

:rolleyes:

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='555652' date='Jul 29 2009, 10:04 PM']Thanks Nik.

AFAIK, the Aguilar has just dropped in to replace the passive tone controls. All the other knobs/switches do exactly what they're supposed to.

So two tone controls have been replaced by a mid-boost/cut and a stacked treble & bass boost/cut.

The guy I got it from (someone I trust) told me that the mod was completely reversible, requiring only a replacement pickguard - though I'll be damned if I can see why![/quote]
Thanks very much Jack; most intruiging...

BTW, sorry missed your PM earlier about the bright box.. will PM you in the morning!

I can't see that Roscoe Beck hanging around too long. Awesome basses and very sought after (just look at the wanted section here - get the title of your post changed too mate!). They only have 1 volume and 1 tone control as standard, btw. That's why you'd need a new pickguard to reverse the changes.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='555724' date='Jul 29 2009, 11:09 PM']That fretless Rick is gorgeous.[/quote]
+1 . I was lucky enough to see it in the flesh, and it really is something special. And that's from someone who doesn't like Ricks!

Glad the Ibanez worked out!

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='555665' date='Jul 29 2009, 10:13 PM']Bring her with you on Sunday then!

You do play guitar, right?

:)[/quote]

Haha, I may well see if she wants to come!.....just for that ha!
she says "don't tempt me" lol

I play a little bit of guitar, just strumming chords though, pretty basic stuff.

Si

[quote name='beerdragon' post='556209' date='Jul 30 2009, 02:49 PM']I;m drawn to the ProseBass. I like it. shakes fist at damn clutch. Maybe if you haven't sold it in a few weeks.[/quote]

Clutches come and go, but a custom-built bass is for ever.

I know you're gonna dig this ...

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='555590' date='Jul 29 2009, 10:08 PM']**********************************

Next, amazingly, we have my second heaviest bass – the [b][size=4]Fender Roscoe Beck [/size][/b](1996).

[...]

[b]String spacing is identical to a Fender P from nut to bridge[/b] (one of many things I like about this bass) but this of course means that the neck is commensurately wider. One and seven eighths at the nut.

[...][/quote]

Out of interest, are you really sure your RB5 has the same spacing as a Fender [b]P[/b] at the nut?
I am the proud owner of an RB5, one of my all-time favourites, and it definitely has a Jazz spacing at the nut.

Regardless of the spacing, while it's true that the neck might feel a tad wide at first touch, the asymmetrical neck profile really makes it a breeze to play.
IMO the RB5 is the best fiver Fender ever put out, and with the added Aguilar you have my mouth watering for a backup to mine.

All wonderful basses, good luck with the sale! :)

Edited by BB3000S

[quote name='BB3000S' post='557465' date='Jul 31 2009, 10:27 PM']Regardless of the spacing, while it's true that the neck might feel a tad wide at first touch, the asymmetrical neck profile really makes it a breeze to play.
IMO the RB5 is the best fiver Fender ever put out, and with the added Aguilar you have my mouth watering for a backup to mine.[/quote]

+1

[quote name='BB3000S' post='557465' date='Jul 31 2009, 10:27 PM']Out of interest, are you really sure your RB5 has the same spacing as a Fender [b]P[/b] at the nut?
I am the proud owner of an RB5, one of my all-time favourites, and it definitely has a Jazz spacing at the nut.

Regardless of the spacing, while it's true that the neck might feel a tad wide at first touch, the asymmetrical neck profile really makes it a breeze to play.
IMO the RB5 is the best fiver Fender ever put out, and with the added Aguilar you have my mouth watering for a backup to mine.

All wonderful basses, good luck with the sale! :)[/quote]

Hi mate, and thanks.

I reckon you're right about the nut. I've spent the last 10 minutes with a steel rule going over several basses, and I'm coming up with:
Precision being 12mm at the nut / 15mm at the 12th fret
Duck Dunn being 9mm at the nut / 15mm at the 12th fret
Roscoe Beck being 10mm at the nut / 14mm at the 12th fret

All measurements are string centre to string centre, E to A, with additional dodgy eye-sight. :lol:

I will amend my original posting.

Meanwhile, how's the Kroner doing against the pound these days? Basses from Britain should be really cheap for Scandinavians, yes? :rolleyes:

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='557625' date='Aug 1 2009, 11:01 AM']Meanwhile, how's the Kroner doing against the pound these days? Basses from Britain should be really cheap for Scandinavians, yes? :rolleyes:[/quote]
Well yes, it's been worse - but it could be better. The SEK has however lost loads to the USD (25%!!!) and the euro (almost as much) over the last 12 months. What to do - play the bass and be happy I guess. :lol:

Currency exchange rate bump! :)

[color="#006400"]*** PRESS RELEASE ***[/color]

Roscoe Beck now SOLD pending the usual.

Rickenbacker under discussion.

Lindert Locomotive out on loan.

If the RBV and the 4001 both sell, I'll probably keep the Prosebass for the moment.

[color="#008000"]*** PRESS RELEASE ENDS ***[/color]