Why become a member? ×

When you try out a bass in a shop..

deej

I always dread these moments.

Im happy enough playing to people and acting like a tit at crazy loud volumes on a stage, but in a quiet little shop with a few people around, I get pretty nervous. Whenever I pick up a bass, my mind just goes blank. It's like there's pressure on that you have to play something really good, but you dont want to over do it incase you look arrogant...or the fact you just dont know anything good in the first place but you're trying to hide it...

I hope thats not just me!

What do you guys play when you pick up a bass in store? Some favoured songs/riffs? A little play on scales? Or just some full on awsomeness?!

If i want to buy an instrument from a shop, its for that reason only...I want to hear the lows and highs of the bass as well as everything im going to be using the bass for...I find it a little embarrassing when people go into music shops and show off there chops...Your there to audition a bass not audition for the shop staff

Nothing makes me cringe more than hearing someone play slap.QUOTE>>>>

I know what you mean but If i slap its because i want to hear what the bass sounds like slapped..Dont know how else you would find that out??

Edited by bubinga5

A few favourite simple riffs all over the neck (usually Stone Roses stuff) just to check for dead spots, then squeeze out some harmonics, a good look over the bass for blemishes, pointy fret ends etc, then a good play with the controls and finish off with a couple of minutes of "Dune Tune" just because I know how much music shop staff love to hear a badly executed classic.

I tell you what I'd do, I find the topic that was only started earlier on this year with the exact same question by using the search:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=39076"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=39076[/url]

I hate music shops, there seems to be alot of pressure from other people, ive never been one to show off, but when theres some twat sitting opposite you, and you can just tell he\she is trying to out do you, you want to get back. Also staff are so unhelpful and rude and barely try and sell you stuff, i wouldnt mind if they lied, but if they only tried. I hate the whole atmosphere of music shops, and it stops me wanting to buy stuff of them.

I've worked in instrument retail most of my working life, and I've heard absolutely everything over the years, but the Mark King years were the worst. There must have been a SASM - Saturday Afternoon Slap Monster - in every town!

However, I must say that Flea has dominated overall. Love him or loathe him, you can't deny his influence.

Cheers for that OldGit, I really got into that. :)

The last time I tried a bass in a music shop was in Hamburg. There's a fairly big shop in the Saint Pauli area that has loads of little stations with a stool, some good quality headphones and one of those Line 6 pod type things (sorry, I'm not really clued up on this new-fangled stuff) ..... one of those things where you can select an imitation of various amp/speaker configurations, you know what I mean.

Although I dare say it's no substitute actually feeling the air move, it was a nice way to get some idea without having to feel too self-conscious.

Never come across a shop in the UK set up like that (surely some of the ones in the bigger cities must have summat similar) but I reckon if more shops offered these facilities they may find a good few more people trying stuff out who've previously not been confident enough to offer themselves up for scrutiny.

[quote name='Buzz' post='538450' date='Jul 12 2009, 01:02 PM']I tell you what I'd do, I find the topic that was only started earlier on this year with the exact same question by using the search:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=39076"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=39076[/url][/quote]

Oooh, get you! :)

[quote name='Buzz' post='538450' date='Jul 12 2009, 01:02 PM']I tell you what I'd do, I find the topic that was only started earlier on this year with the exact same question by using the search:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=39076"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=39076[/url][/quote]

Calm down fella - not everyone searches a topic before posting... thanks

Mike

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='538791' date='Jul 12 2009, 08:54 PM']This is what happens: People that can play will turn it down; people that can't will play as loud as possible.[/quote]
Ain't that the truth.......people who are completely unable to tune a guitar or bass seem to play the loudest and longest. Excruciating.

[quote name='RhysP' post='538813' date='Jul 12 2009, 09:16 PM']Ain't that the truth.......people who are completely unable to tune a guitar or bass seem to play the loudest and longest. Excruciating.[/quote]

Haha I tried out Stingray the other day and I tried to tune the G to no avail so I just didn't play the G.

Theres a few standards I run thru like The Jam's 'Down in the Tube Station', RATM 'Bombtrack' and muse 'Falling Away With YOu' and other than that i just fiddle around with some standard chordal/modal progressons and fiddly finger stuff. Very rarely slap as im so sh*te at it :) Was nice yesterday as tried out an ibanez that ill probbaly end up buying and ended up with the shop staff and customers watchinga and asking how id learned to do some of the stuff. As soon as i knew i was under the spotlight i clammed up and playing went to pieces :rolleyes:

edit. was playing through Phil JOnes and Ashton amps, not played either before but got a great sound out of both.

Edited by Spartacus

I have a muck around with various tunes and throw some "shapes". But what gets right up my ti*s is no matter what time you go into the guitar shop there is always a group of 13 year olds playing an Ibanez or similar pointy thing, murdering some trivium or metalica. They play for 2 mins (all they can play for) and then their mates talk about how awsome the playing/guitar was. And just when you think that it`s over, they give it to another one of their mates!!
Yes I am a grumpy old bas*ard!!

Jez :)

[quote name='bythesea' post='538588' date='Jul 12 2009, 04:24 PM']Great tone! What combination of bass, effects, amp and eq do I need to get that? :D

And I usually wait till there's no one else around before I play anything in a shop :)[/quote]

Ha ha
You just need Kiwi's MIDI Shuker :rolleyes:

It's a great tune and falls under the fingers just right. Ipop in a few harmonics and a bend.
No one else will ever play it as a bass try out tune so it gives the staff something else to listen to :lol: