Why become a member? ×

Relic'ed pedals? This is getting silly

Clarky

Tech 21 now do a "Classic Relic" version of the original SansAmp, complete with battle-scarred, stomped-on-with-hobnail-boots appearance. Now I can understand relic'ed basses - the audience sees you playing what appears to be a vintage instrument - but has an audience ever stared at your pedals? :)
Absolutely ludicrous. Where will it end? Relic'ed plectrums (sorry plectra) and guitar straps, relic'ed cables .....

[attachment=28368:Sansamp.jpg]

Oh, and its a cool £275 to buy at Thomann [url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/tech_21_sansamp_classic.htm"]http://www.thomann.de/gb/tech_21_sansamp_classic.htm[/url]

[quote name='ase_one23' post='534331' date='Jul 7 2009, 12:29 AM']i've always thought that if someone came up with relic'd strings (played in i mean of course) i'd probably buy them :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:[/quote]

Really?

Let me have a look in the loft, I may have a few [s]used[/s] relic'ed sets... :)

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='534340' date='Jul 7 2009, 01:44 AM']Reliced amps? Crackly pots, missing knobs, cut out, catch fire and electrocute the user.

It's the way forward.[/quote]

Already done. Fender do cosmetically aged amps. I'm sure a few tweaks here and there can sort out the missing knobs and electrocution which you want!

[quote name='Clarky' post='534145' date='Jul 6 2009, 09:07 PM']Tech 21 now do a "Classic Relic" version of the original SansAmp, complete with battle-scarred, stomped-on-with-hobnail-boots appearance. Now I can understand relic'ed basses - the audience sees you playing what appears to be a vintage instrument - but has an audience ever stared at your pedals? :)
Absolutely ludicrous. Where will it end? Relic'ed plectrums (sorry plectra) and guitar straps, relic'ed cables .....

[attachment=28368:Sansamp.jpg]

Oh, and its a cool £275 to buy at Thomann [url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/tech_21_sansamp_classic.htm"]http://www.thomann.de/gb/tech_21_sansamp_classic.htm[/url][/quote]
This is surely going to lead to a flood of original, f***ed-up SansAmps cropping up on eBay, masquerading as brand-new relics, commanding stupid prices.

Silly, silly, silly.

[quote name='Low End Bee' post='534478' date='Jul 7 2009, 10:34 AM']My bandmates and I have all been through the relic process.

We are really 18 but now look like well used and grizzled 45 year olds.[/quote]
Which is curiously symmetrical as the OP (ie, me) is a grizzled 45 year old

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='534340' date='Jul 7 2009, 12:44 AM']Reliced amps? Crackly pots, missing knobs, cut out, catch fire and electrocute the user.[/quote]

Doom

Anyone know a mod I can make to my amp so they will electrocute JoeGarcia when he turns them up past half way?

Sound Control used to do reliced guitar strings, you'd open the pack and find there were fingerprints corroded into them.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Clarky' post='534145' date='Jul 6 2009, 09:07 PM']Absolutely ludicrous. Where will it end? Relic'ed plectrums (sorry plectra) and guitar straps, relic'ed cables .....[/quote]

I'm pretty sure I saw relic straps a few years ago in Andertons.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Low End Bee' post='534478' date='Jul 7 2009, 02:34 AM']My bandmates and I have all been through the relic process.

We are really 18 but now look like well used and grizzled 45 year olds.[/quote]

I was thinking the same thing, actually at 48 I like the idea of being reliced instead of just old.

As for my gear, I take too good of care for it, I may be losing money by not beating the crap out of it.

[quote name='Clarky' post='534145' date='Jul 6 2009, 09:07 PM']Tech 21 now do a "Classic Relic" version of the original SansAmp, complete with battle-scarred, stomped-on-with-hobnail-boots appearance. Now I can understand relic'ed basses - the audience sees you playing what appears to be a vintage instrument - but has an audience ever stared at your pedals? :)
Absolutely ludicrous. Where will it end? Relic'ed plectrums (sorry plectra) and guitar straps, relic'ed cables .....[/quote]

You wouldn't believe how many people actually do come to the front of the stage to peer at your pedals.
It happens all the time,usually either before the gig or in the break........they are collectively known as 'pedal spotters'.

Oh,and relic'ed straps are available.

Marvellous stuff - good on them for exploiting a lucrative area in the marketplace. No-one being forced to buy oine of these, it just adds fuel to that saying about a fool and his money.....
THey look quite cool actually, I may have a go at doing some relic paintwork on my next DIY stompy :)