Why become a member? ×

Epifani and Genz Benz

Linus27

In my search for a lightweight cab, I am pretty much down to two. Either an Epifani 212/310 with my Ashdown ABM EVO III head or a Genz Benz Shuttle 6 with the NEO212 cab.

I am kindly being lent an Epifani 310 to try and it does sound very nice with my Ashdown head. It still has that Ashdown sound but the Epifani makes it a bit cleaner over my Ashdown ABM 410.

What is the Genz Benz Shuttle 6 and NEO 212 like and what sort of sound does it suit? Never heard a Genz Benz but they do seem to be very highly rated. Might take a trip out to test one if they are worth it.

Any advice, especially on the Genz Benz stuff very appreciated.

[quote name='Linus27' post='533529' date='Jul 6 2009, 09:08 AM']In my search for a lightweight cab, I am pretty much down to two. Either an Epifani 212/310 with my Ashdown ABM EVO III head or a Genz Benz Shuttle 6 with the NEO212 cab.

I am kindly being lent an Epifani 310 to try and it does sound very nice with my Ashdown head. It still has that Ashdown sound but the Epifani makes it a bit cleaner over my Ashdown ABM 410.

What is the Genz Benz Shuttle 6 and NEO 212 like and what sort of sound does it suit? Never heard a Genz Benz but they do seem to be very highly rated. Might take a trip out to test one if they are worth it.

Any advice, especially on the Genz Benz stuff very appreciated.[/quote]

HI Michael

Drop me a PM and I'll let you have a lend of my Shuttle to A/B it all.

Cheers

Nick

[quote name='Old Horse Murphy' post='533533' date='Jul 6 2009, 09:10 AM']HI Michael

Drop me a PM and I'll let you have a lend of my Shuttle to A/B it all.

Cheers

Nick[/quote]

See, this is why I love BassChat. Where else can you get this kind of generosity? Nice one Nick!

[quote name='dood' post='533581' date='Jul 6 2009, 10:11 AM']See, this is why I love BassChat. Where else can you get this kind of generosity? Nice one Nick![/quote]

Have to agree with you on that. My main hangout now. So many nice, friendly, helpfull people here. Been lent some amazing gear to try out even when I hardly know them. Just goes to show, us bass player are the best people in the world.

I've not heard the GB amp but the lack of bass, in comparison to the likes of Markbass, has been mentioned over on Talkbass. You really need to hear one to see if it's an issue for you.

Out of your two speaker choices, I would go for Epifani. Maybe the 310 will sound good with a bass heavy amp like Markbass but, if you can find one, the 410 has naturally more bottom end and a fuller bass tone, due to the extra speaker and a bigger cab.

The chance to A/B them is a really good offer - but for those not luck enough to be able to try one first heres my 2 cents.

I have a Shuttle 6 and which I use most often through a MarkBass 210. All in all a very light rig. Main bass is a passive Shuker JB with Delanos.
The amp seems very well put together, the controls have nice knurled alloy knobs which feel positive with a 'notched' action to them.
It is quiet - it has a fan but the noise is not intrusive - similar to a computer fan.
The 3 preset signal shapes - bass boost, mid cut, high boost are useful ways to get into a tonal 'area' quickly.
The tone controls are clear and straightforward. The semi-parametric layout lets you tune out - or enhance between 150 and 2kHz and is very effective.
It is a very clean, transparent sounding amp when you need that, but warms up nicely when you drive the preamp a bit.
The headphone and AUX inputs are nice additions if you travel or need a simple practice set up
I use it to DI a lot - the pre out does not need a dummy speaker load, which can be handy.
I emailed Genz Benz with a question about the unit and got a reply almost straight away from Jeff Gensler himself - so customer service seems excellent so far!
I think its best to be a bit more careful in live situations than with old fashioned amps - as its very light it could be dragged off its perch quite easily - if you are in a band where people jump about I would anchor your lead or the amp somehow, to be on the safe side.
I haven't owned the amp long enough to comment on reliability.
I have not used the optional footswitch, but if you change your sound often in performance, its probably worthwhile considering. I find I don't need it as I can dial in sounds very quickly on the amp if needed.

ITS LOUD. but controlled.

There is, IMO definitely no lack of bass!

My only problem has been with the single tube. The 12AX7 can get some nice overdrive tones - but I have replaced the tube in mine with an old Mullard one - which I prefer. The stock tube is probably fine but I found that at low volumes, if sitting on a cab I would get occasional 'farting' noises - not loud, but noticeable. I took the amp off the cab and the problem disappeared. Figuring this might be microphonic or other tube-related noise, I changed tubes and have had no more problems. I wrote to the Bass Merchant, (who have it at the best price so far as I know) who supplied it and they said that there had been no other reported problems, but changing tubes would not void the warranty, btw.

Overall, if you want a versatile modern lightweight amp give it a try - I was all set on a MarkBass but the Shuttle gives me a few more options at a better price.

I'll post some clips soon if anyone is interested.
J

Edited by johnny_b

[quote name='johnny_b' post='533609' date='Jul 6 2009, 10:56 AM']The chance to A/B them is a really good offer - but for those not luck enough to be able to try one first heres my 2 cents.

I have a Shuttle 6 and which I use most often through a MarkBass 210. All in all a very light rig. Main bass is a passive Shuker JB with Delanos.
The amp seems very well put together, the controls have nice knurled alloy knobs which feel positive with a 'notched' action to them.
It is quiet - it has a fan but the noise is not intrusive - similar to a computer fan.
The 3 preset signal shapes - bass boost, mid cut, high boost are useful ways to get into a tonal 'area' quickly.
The tone controls are clear and straightforward. The semi-parametric layout lets you tune out - or enhance between 150 and 2kHz and is very effective.
It is a very clean, transparent sounding amp when you need that, but warms up nicely when you drive the preamp a bit.
The headphone and AUX inputs are nice additions if you travel or need a simple practice set up
I use it to DI a lot - the pre out does not need a dummy speaker load, which can be handy.
I emailed Genz Benz with a question about the unit and got a reply almost straight away from Jeff Gensler himself - so customer service seems excellent so far!
I think its best to be a bit more careful in live situations than with old fashioned amps - as its very light it could be dragged off its perch quite easily - if you are in a band where people jump about I would anchor your lead or the amp somehow, to be on the safe side.
I haven't owned the amp long enough to comment on reliability.
I have not used the optional footswitch, but if you change your sound often in performance, its probably worthwhile considering. I find I don't need it as I can dial in sounds very quickly on the amp if needed.

ITS LOUD. but controlled.

There is, IMO definitely no lack of bass!

My only problem has been with the single tube. The 12AX7 can get some nice overdrive tones - but I have replaced the tube in mine with an old Mullard one - which I prefer. The stock tube is probably fine but I found that at low volumes, if sitting on a cab I would get occasional 'farting' noises - not loud, but noticeable. I took the amp off the cab and the problem disappeared. Figuring this might be microphonic or other tube-related noise, I changed tubes and have had no more problems. I wrote to the Bass Merchant, (who have it at the best price so far as I know) who supplied it and they said that there had been no other reported problems, but changing tubes would not void the warranty, btw.

Overall, if you want a versatile modern lightweight amp give it a try - I was all set on a MarkBass but the Shuttle gives me a few more options at a better price.

I'll post some clips soon if anyone is interested.
J[/quote]

Great write up and review, many thanks for taking the time to do it. I am trying Nicks out tonight so really can't wait. If I got one, I would probably get a Genz Benz NEO212 also as I also hear great things about them.

Edited by Linus27

Admittedly I am of the Burnel/Entwistle/Watt-Roy school, and a lot of bottom end is not that important to me, but I have no complaints at all with my Shuttle 6.0. Mine has also shown no inclination to move from the top of the cab-I bought some of that rubbery, grip mesh from B&Q which mine sits on. I still have a lot on the roll-PM me if you want a slice.

I have an Epifani UL310 and two Epifani UL112 cabs. For volume and clarity both are great, and one rig doesn't take preference over the other. Usually I take the 310 for wedding/function gigs that are unnaturally loud. I've never had volume problems using the 310 in a 6 piece band with two horns and a LOUD guitarist (who has enough low-end in his signal to leave me redundant).

The 2 112's get used whenever I have to take the Upright in the car Easier to pack. Also good for my Acoustic Image Focus head, as the 2 112's are a 4ohm load combined, whereas the 310 is a 5.3 load. Only an issue depending on what head I use.

i use the GB Shuttle 3.0/10T and i've no complaints about the low-end, even though the 3.0 is the lesser of the two shuttle amps, it has bass in abundance and the settings are extremely easy to use.

I'd expect the 6.0 to be even better what with the tube preamp, but one or two BCers went from the Shuttle 6.0 to the 3.0, so i suppose it's horses for courses.

I can't fault mine in any way, it's great when other bassists look down their nose at its size and then actually hear how loud it is

:)

Edited by rasher80

[quote name='Musicman20' post='533843' date='Jul 6 2009, 03:02 PM']I nearly went with genz but the LM3 bottom end warmth swung it for me.

I was also shocked at the size of the Shuttle Max amps....lightweight, but NOT small. Looks like a good bit of kit though.[/quote]

I tried the LM3 and I was not that impressed with it. Could not get a sound I liked out of it. However, I do suspect it may had been the MB 410 cab I was using. I have heard that they are not so hot sound wise.

I've been using a Genz Benz Neo-Pak head(the predecessor to the Shuttle 6.0)for a few years now and have
never experienced any lack of low end. They are a very hi-fi sounding amp,which I happen to like.
I was very close to buying a Little Mark II,but prefered the sound of the Genz Benz.
It might be worth checking out Bergantino cabs as well-I prefered them to the Epifani,although they are great cabs too.

[quote name='johnny_b' post='533609' date='Jul 6 2009, 10:56 AM']I emailed Genz Benz with a question about the unit and got a reply almost straight away from Jeff Gensler himself - so customer service seems excellent so far![/quote]

A definite +1 from me on that too, been emailing Jeff quite a bit recently and he seems a gentleman!

Just to say that I like Old Horse Murphy's Shuttle 6.0 so much, I bought it from him :):)

No problem with lack of bottom end either. A killer amp head. I can't wait to get it at the weekend and hopefully get the Genz Benz NEO 212T by the weekend also.

[quote name='Linus27' post='535286' date='Jul 7 2009, 11:14 PM']Just to say that I like Old Horse Murphy's Shuttle 6.0 so much, I bought it from him :):)

No problem with lack of bottom end either. A killer amp head. I can't wait to get it at the weekend and hopefully get the Genz Benz NEO 212T by the weekend also.[/quote]

IF you get the 212 by the weekend, bring it over Michael. My wife is away this weekend and the neighbours are pretty deaf :rolleyes:

[quote name='Old Horse Murphy' post='535561' date='Jul 8 2009, 11:53 AM']IF you get the 212 by the weekend, bring it over Michael. My wife is away this weekend and the neighbours are pretty deaf :rolleyes:[/quote]

I don't think I will. Bass Merchant don't have them in stock and it will take about a week for delivery gggrrrrrrr Thanks for the offer and when I do get it, I can bring around another time. Just don't bring that Fender Jazz out. My wife will kill me if I start talking about it. We have a deal at the moment. A new baby for every new bass :)

Edited by Linus27