Why become a member? ×

Active Bass Batteries

silentbob

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='JPAC' post='532261' date='Jul 4 2009, 09:20 AM']I bought the "Uniross 9v Charger + 1 x PP3 / 9v Multi Usage Long Life Battery" from Amazon £8.99.

Don't use it - keeps its charge / use it - 1000 recharge cycles.[/quote]

Is that one of the newish NiMH batteries which doesn't have a high self discharge rate as 'ordinary' ones do ?

btw if you feel the need to use Alkaline batteries don't neglect tthe fact that they can be recharged with suitable chargers regardless of what the manufacturer might state.

[quote name='rmorris' post='541843' date='Jul 15 2009, 11:27 PM']btw if you feel the need to use Alkaline batteries don't neglect tthe fact that they can be recharged with suitable chargers regardless of what the manufacturer might state.[/quote]

From what I've heard, you can recharge some alkalines, but they self-discharge very quickly, and there's a risk of the battery leaking and wrecking your charger. I'd be interested to know more about your experiences (what type of battery you use, what charger, what kind of success rate you've had, whether you've found any major issues). Thanks.

S.P.

I use the gold and white GPs, my mate works our local electric shop (used to get a discount even before he worked there, nice blokes!) so i can get a box pretty cheap. I think they're £1.50 each usually, used to get a box of 10 for a tenner

I leave them in for about 6-7 months before i change them, had one die on me after i left it in for 9 months.

Think i've said before that buying a box of 9v batteries is false economy, guitarists circle round em like vultures and you end up losing half of them!

[quote name='Stylon Pilson' post='542480' date='Jul 16 2009, 06:21 PM']From what I've heard, you can recharge some alkalines, but they self-discharge very quickly, and there's a risk of the battery leaking and wrecking your charger. I'd be interested to know more about your experiences (what type of battery you use, what charger, what kind of success rate you've had, whether you've found any major issues). Thanks.

S.P.[/quote]

it was a while ago and I was looking at it from an electronics engineering point of view. I can't recall self discharge rate being an issue. However the capacity did decrease with each charge and realistically a maximum of about ten recharges was useable. But remember that the initial capacity / life is longer.
I was looking at this before NiMH batteries become generally available so the rechargeable alternative was NiCad which have more problems.
The charger was one we built 'on the bench' but important to note that you can't use a normal NiCad / NiMH charger. I don't have the technical details to hand but I guess there'll be plenty on the interweb.
Leaking wasn't found to be an issue although it's always a possibility if charge rate / time is faulty or just through bad battery manufacture.

Interestingly I recall that in the UK most 'ordinary' batteries are marked along the lines of "Do Not Recharge" etc. but that is not allowed in some countries as it isn't true.
The common idea that the batteries will 'explode' shouldn't be an issue as all batteries should incorporate a sort of valve to release pressure if things go wrong.

To be clear for rechargeables I use NiMH myself and mention the recharging of alkalines for info' here.

On an associated note - please note that there are loads of fake 'Duracells' ( + possibly other brands ) out there. Look at Duracell on the website for more info' - then look at suspiciously bargain Duracell marked batteries in dodgy packaging and a bit rough round the edges ( or especially the bottom ).

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='542490' date='Jul 16 2009, 06:39 PM']Think i've said before that buying a box of 9v batteries is false economy, guitarists circle round em like vultures and you end up losing half of them![/quote]
So I'm at a gig and we're about to start the second set when guitarist discovers that he needs a new battery.

I am playing only passive basses and my compressor, mixer/preamp, and tuner are all running from a mains power supply.

Guess who is the only one carrying spare batteries.

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='543693' date='Jul 18 2009, 12:18 AM']So I'm at a gig and we're about to start the second set when guitarist discovers that he needs a new battery.

I am playing only passive basses and my compressor, mixer/preamp, and tuner are all running from a mains power supply.

Guess who is the only one carrying spare batteries.[/quote]

maybe time to 'discover that you need a new guitarist' :)