Why become a member? ×

ooops! Careful!

Met up with the band yersterday after a 2 month break. We all had a great time ,until I put my
5 String Schecter Diamond against the wall while we chilled out for a few mins.

Then,for no apparent reason it fell to the floor...aaargh!
There seemd to be a pretty big scratch around the jack socket-but nowhere else.

Okay,if it's only there , then nobody can see it and at least it wasn't on the neck.

I was thinking a few minutes ago that , I purchased one of the higher end Schecters and surely
the expensive paint job couldn't be so pony . I have a similar Washburn status which I've
bumped a bit but not to the stage where it's paint has been removed.

Anyway, a few moments ago , I got a cloth, wiped the area to see if I could minimise the
carnage and all of a sudden the mark is gone :rolleyes: My Schecter rocks!! :lol:

Next session 'll probably be the headless . :)

I know certain basses are gonna be bumped and banged without any worries(Fender etc.)

Just thought I'd share this with you,and was wondering if you've had similar experiences.....

Drunkenly putting a bass in my guitar stand I hit my P bass which I painted. the bass I hit it with was fine, but my P was pretty hurt. cant see on the pic but you can see the green thats underneith and the lacker has bubbled up too.

Edited by Jobiebass

i used to keep my bass on a guitar stand in my room, but my girlfriend at the time kept swinging the door open and letting it crash into the bass (not intentionally, just not paying attention).

a few gouges in the body from the door later, and my bass was kept in it's case from then on. :)

Anyone else not really mind damaging their basses?

I mean normal wear and tear, a few dings etc. I've knocked bits off my main gigging basses and to be honest it doesn't really bother me. It's part and parcel of using them, and actually adds a bit of character. I bought them to play and use, and if they get a bit hurt by thay, well so be it.

I have a guitar stand, but I only use it at gigs. Everywhere else the bass goes back into its hard case, even if I’m only putting it down for a couple of minutes. I know this might seem extreme, but apart from a couple of very minor dings, my 25 y.o. bass still looks good, so the ends justify the means…. :)

[quote name='Steve_nottm' post='528529' date='Jun 30 2009, 12:20 PM']Anyone else not really mind damaging their basses?

I mean normal wear and tear, a few dings etc. I've knocked bits off my main gigging basses and to be honest it doesn't really bother me. It's part and parcel of using them, and actually adds a bit of character. I bought them to play and use, and if they get a bit hurt by thay, well so be it.[/quote]

I mind bigtime. In the same way as I bought my car to drive and use, and if they get a bit hurt by that then I would get really miffed.

[quote name='Steve_nottm' post='528529' date='Jun 30 2009, 12:20 PM']Anyone else not really mind damaging their basses?

I mean normal wear and tear, a few dings etc. I've knocked bits off my main gigging basses and to be honest it doesn't really bother me. It's part and parcel of using them, and actually adds a bit of character. I bought them to play and use, and if they get a bit hurt by thay, well so be it.[/quote]

I agree entirely,

depends on the sort of person you are, obviously we think alike. I think it is very liberating not to worry about damage to your possessions. The main difference is if you see your basses as glittering prizes or as tools of the trade. It always lifts my heart when I see a pro / band bassist using a beaten up old bass that has had some use ie...Mike Watts , Martyn P Casey, Jimi Goodwin and dare I mention his name "Jaco".....
Not that there is anything wrong with having a nice shiny bass its just a case of horses for courses and personal choice.
I apply the same thinking to cars and don't mind shopping trolley dings and scratches , take the arguement to its extreme and you would never get a bass out of its case or your car out of its garage. Basses like cars in the real world are meant to be used and if they are used alot are bound to suffer small accidents. Surely sound and playability is more important than looks ?
One area where damage is a great asset is in buying shop soiled and damaged stock that can be had for a lot less than list price.
I also find its a good conversation starter as to where, when and how certain scratches and dings appeared.
Fender and the like do a roaring trade with "relic" basses so there must be a lot of bassists looking for that well worn look.
I must admit that the way some people treat their basses borders on OCD but they are probably the same people that list ebay ads as "from a pet and smoke free home".....
At the recent bass bash I was explaining how my Picobass design had turned out incredibly strong and offered to throw the bass across Nicks lawn to prove the point This was met with gasps and I was stopped, the reason ? that it would damage the lawn more than anything else.... :)

Its different if you loan or use equipment that is anothers property and it should always be returned as you found it.
Common courtesy and good manners go a long way these days.

Edited by Prosebass

I think it's the first prange syndrome.

You want to put off that first serious bit of damage as long as possible to something that looks new, once it's already "damaged" it's no longer an issue.

That's why I'm afraid of my Aerodyne, it just looks so pretty and tbh, a bit of pita to replace should it get killed.

[quote name='Buzz' post='528760' date='Jun 30 2009, 04:06 PM']I think it's the first prange syndrome.

You want to put off that first serious bit of damage as long as possible to something that looks new, once it's already "damaged" it's no longer an issue.

That's why I'm afraid of my Aerodyne, it just looks so pretty and tbh, a bit of pita to replace should it get killed.[/quote]

I can understand that , but I also feel that constantly worrying about your bass picking up a dinge or scratch can make one over-protective to the point that when you are using it the worry overtakes the enjoyment. The last thing you want when playing is to be uptight.

[quote name='Buzz' post='528760' date='Jun 30 2009, 04:06 PM']I think it's the first prange syndrome.

You want to put off that first serious bit of damage as long as possible to something that looks new, once it's already "damaged" it's no longer an issue.[/quote]

Thats where I stand...I HATE the first donk, but once I've drawn first blood, then it doesn't matter!

I have to say tho, both my 'rays are stunning examples for their ages and i will rip apart the idiot Guitard who knocks it over (cos it will be a Guitard, won't it! :))

[quote name='escholl' post='528171' date='Jun 29 2009, 09:54 PM']my girlfriend at the time kept swinging the door open and letting it crash into the bass[/quote]

Grounds for immediate and total dismissal, intentional or not! :rolleyes:

[quote name='Prosebass' post='528984' date='Jun 30 2009, 07:09 PM']I can understand that , but I also feel that constantly worrying about your bass picking up a dinge or scratch can make one over-protective to the point that when you are using it the worry overtakes the enjoyment. The last thing you want when playing is to be uptight.[/quote]I totally agree. You need to let yourself go, speak in tounges and if you knock your precious bass, tough. :)