Why become a member? ×

My/our 1st gig

GreeneKing

Well it looks like the 8th Aug is the day.

It's going to be a small 'festival' in our drummer's back garden (we're talking rural Cumbria, it's a large and separated walled garden with it's own doorway).

We seem to have at least two other established bands coming.

My main concern is with an open air gig with other bands all the issues around PA and whose gear gets used (mines not getting abused by anyone but me).

Sound is the other consideration. I suspect that 500W will only be any use as a monitor??

I wish we were doing something simpler sooner.

It's the 1st gig for all 4 of us too but we really are improving. Lead guitard is still a bit of a plonker at times but at least I know everyone else in the band thinks this now which makes it easier :)

We haven't got a name yet. Lead Guitarist doesn't like 'The Zimmermen'. At 54 I'm the youngest :rolleyes:

TMD? Three Musicians & a Drummer?

Pedro

Edited by GreeneKing

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='514789' date='Jun 15 2009, 09:37 PM']It's going to be a small 'festival' in our drummer's back garden ...we're talking rural [b]Cumbria[/b]...My main concern is with an open air gig with other bands all the issues around PA and whose gear gets used (mines not getting abused by anyone but me).[/quote]

Rain? You're gonna need a big old tent!

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='514789' date='Jun 15 2009, 09:37 PM']We haven't got a name yet. Lead Guitarist doesn't like 'The Zimmermen'.[/quote]

Brian Cum & The Cumbrians?

• 1 month later...

5 days to go, practice Mon, Tue, Thur and Fri, the rhythm guitarist's wrist is out of plaster following his bike crash, set list sorted:

Black Magic Woman - Santana version
Come up and see me
The Passenger
Behind Blue Eyes
Apache
Moving On
Old Habits Die Hard
Smoke on the Water
Sunshine of Your Love

Despite mucking about with a bass for about 13 years I should be losing my virginity about 2pm on Saturday, anyone free near Penrith it's at Motherby in someone's garden - The Motherby Fest, 2pm 3 bands for a fiver

Oh and we have a name:

'Vanarchy'

Peter

Wow! Break a leg Peter! :rolleyes:

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='514789' date='Jun 15 2009, 09:37 PM']It's the 1st gig for all 4 of us too but we really are improving. Lead guitard is still a bit of a plonker at times but at least I know everyone else in the band thinks this now which makes it easier :)[/quote]

Thats the role of all Guitards in a gigging band. [sub](joke)[/sub]

You should have gone for TMG - Three Musicians and a Guitarist...

Disclaimer - my guitarist is also a bassist in his other band.

Thanks for all the good wishes.

It went exceedingly well. The whole event was a success beyond our expectations and we even got asked to do an encore. There were a few minor mistakes but we put them behind us and got on with it. There were a few bass players around all of whom were complimentary, we had about 120 turn up over the course of the evening and gave the main band a bit extra, paid for the beer and had a little left over for a local charity.

In the end I used my LMII and the Aguilars and despite me worrying it coped at volume = 5 and the tone was great.

Here's a couple of photos. There's a video of our whole gig somewhere and I'll try and do something with one number when/if I get a copy.

We had Eddie Jordan in to do the sound check:

Then he wore a hat for the gig:

Here's the headline band Antenna Head, great gig:

And our rhythm section with a potential new singer for the band. Norwegian and a bit of a bass player too :)

Peter (EJ)

Brilliant! Glad you had such a good time. Norwegian, eh? We've got one of those in our village.

BTW, in the pix, you look the [i]absolute epitome [/i]of the grizzled, road-warrior bass player - "Well, it's like Gene Vincent said to me one time..."

Clearly, you were born to gig.

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='Clarky' post='565404' date='Aug 10 2009, 09:13 PM']Congrats! Out of interest, why did you choose the P-bass for your first gig, as IIRC your favourite bass is the ACG Single Cut in your avatar? Not being picky as my 'go to' bass is always a P-bass![/quote]

That's a good question Clarky given that my ACG is both more comfortable, better built, far prettier and much more tonally versatile.

An honest answer. Since I 'discovered' this P bass I've fallen for the tone. This is partly the novelty factor (it's my newest bass) and the fact that it does what it does very well and fits in with the band's repertoire too. I also didn't want to be seen playing a bass that overwhelmed my ability if I 'cocked up'. I didn't particularly but it was a worry as there were several bass players in the audience.

I've never been a Fender fan apart from a Marcus Miller IV that stupidly sold but this particular P bass has surprised me no end and caused not a little humble pie eating.

Peter